Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

Ninjerk

Arcane
You have to root for a team picking Axe.

Amazing fighting spirit by OG. They really summoned some inner shit in the last 2 games. That Ember play was insane. Well deserved.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
They are pretty bad, in 2 months would be back to dumpster tier.

The every 2 weeks a new patch makes for worse overall quality. The asslicking in this TI for "the balance" is ridiculous. Teams don't have time to adjust to the changing meta so people pick save late game heroes. In top 8 there wasn't a single under 30 min game, not a single outdraft with per-planned strategy.

Last edited:

tripedal

Augur
Incredible finals. The winner's bracket finals were just as good.

• Topson showed up earlier in the tournament (that Pugna vs Maybe's Huskar was really something) but in the finals he was carried...what made the difference was that Ame was even worse.
  • Fy played his heart out, that Phoenix game was unbelievable.
  • Jerax (ES) and Ceb (Treant, Axe) also had a couple of games where they really showed up...
  • ...but Ana is easily the MVP of the tournament. Both the PL game and the Ember game were incredible, he dodged so many ultis with euls and sof.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Topson's Invoker seemed really passive. Is that just a QW thing or was it Topson? IIRC he's the guy that literally just got pulled from the pub pool into Open Qualifiers with them?

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It just isn't the same without him.
bc68fce6570daa342f50548920383f8d6aecbfd1_full.jpg

What happened to CLQ? Did he reform into a mannered player or did he just quit dotes?
He's still around, but without the persona, so his toxicity is now entirely unironic and rather depressing. But then he'll start ranting about the number of people raped worldwide daily according to UN statistics or something, so still quite amusing. And still high ranked.

Interesting that this thread only has 10 pages since 7.00 came out, I guess you guys have superior taste.

Icefraud may have pulled things back a little since, but the game is still a mediocre hero brawler compared to 6.88

Nathir

Liturgist
6.86 was when I started playing and the game was at its peak then. Nothing but decline since then.

6.86 was what? 3 years ago? The game has existed for 10+ years at this point. I hope your post was sarcastic, or you might be retarded. Anyway, 6.86 was already pure decline. The game has been slowly declining with Valve trying to make heroes do more damage and be faster and have no mana problems etc. Prime example is Earthshaker. The guy was slow and clunky, with a slow turn and cast speed and two q's making him go completely oom. Today es got rid of all of these problems, and got a huge nuke on his w added on a short cd. Similar changes happened all across the board, with more mana regen items added and starting items becoming less expensive etc. The natural conclusion to this power creep was TI4 (I think it was that one) with the grand finals being very short sets won with a fast teamfight/push strat as the game became so snowbally. But it was still Dota.

However in order to make for a more interesting viewing experience, Valve changed the game system where you get massive gold/exp bounties for killing opponents on a streak and increased the passive gold gain. Thus players can just pick 3 cores and inevitably get their items. The game from then on out became more and more draft dependant. But not in a ''we pick this team because we have a strategy in mind or these heroes sinergize well'' way. But in a ''does our team have enough power late, while not losing early?'' way. Drafting has become so much more important. And with the way mana problems have been removed, movespeed substantially increased across the board and abilities overbuffed, the game is from min 1 a game where you are always ganking and counterganking and just trying to instantly nuke someone from afar. I mean, just look at the new hero. Overdesigned, overpowered piece of trash, with way too much damage and utility.

Your picks just have way too much impact on the game today.

tripedal

Augur
The game from then on out became more and more draft dependant. But not in a ''we pick this team because we have a strategy in mind or these heroes sinergize well'' way. But in a ''does our team have enough power late, while not losing early?'' way.

And yet OG won TI by getting absolutely wrecked early/mid and then coming back late...

My biggest gripe with the balance currently is the hugely dumbed down mana sustain and the compulsory dual lanes. It just feels so stupid picking a cancer dual lane with a bunch of mangoes and spamming your shit like it's what I imagine LoL to be.

But a lot of the dumb shit Valve has done to Dota2 recently has been walked back on. We went from what, 14 shrines on the map? To 4, and they got moved back and start on cd. There was a time relatively recently where everyone had too much HP but they brought that back under control by reducing HP per STR point. And even more recently there was this movespeed powercreep affecting the game so they blanket nerfed movespeed talents and reduced the movespeed from Vessel and Euls. Urn/Vessel was braindead OP while mek was dead, that is still true but at least they showed they noticed this by slightly nerf/buffing those in 7.19b. So I'm optimistic that Valve won't dumb the game down TOO much.

There's also been a lot of fiddly bullshit added like the first creepwaves not aggroing, most talents being totally uninteresting 1-sided choices of stat boosts, raindrops, mangoes, tower armour from enemy heroes, tower armour aura from allied heroes, whatever the fuck is going on with attributes giving tiny amounts of shit like movespeed, spell amp, etc. It's clutter.

Nathir

Liturgist
The game from then on out became more and more draft dependant. But not in a ''we pick this team because we have a strategy in mind or these heroes sinergize well'' way. But in a ''does our team have enough power late, while not losing early?'' way.

And yet OG won TI by getting absolutely wrecked early/mid and then coming back late...

I mean, that's exactly how I said games play out...

Latest quote from ex-CLQ: ''You're so bad Crystal Maiden, I'm going to carve the date of your suicide on my chest with a rusty knife in celebration.''

Sentinel

Arcane
Fuck. I missed the finals. Are all the games worth watching or just game 4?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom