Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime DotA 2 vs LoL

Black_Willow

Arcane
Which is better an why? Discuss!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
MOBAs are an inherently bad genre however LoL has unified mechanics, doesn't have an unnecessarily high skill floor, and wasn't made by amateurs.

AMG

Arbiter
wasn't made by amateurs.
lel

league of lesbians is basically a parody of dota, so the question is kinda analogous to do you prefer Star Wars or Space Balls? Both have their merits, although the latter is just a retarded version of the former for people fond of not sophisticated humour(or gameplay in case of lesbians)

ASTRAL

Arcane
Dota doesn't have grind.That is all you have to know.

Last edited:
I thought every one knew the answer to this already.
It's dota 2
Becasue catgirls
WC9v3Db.jpg

DakaSha

Arcane
I played league for 2 years and have, possibly, over a thousand hours in it.
Then I played Dota2 and started to despise league. Dota2 is the much more interesting game (Mainly because the champs all feel completely different whereas league champs are all the same fucking shit). Still league does some shit better. controls feel more janky in dota for instance

Having said that i cant touch either any more

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I would say Dota 1. Dota 2 is just a carbon copy of Dota 1, but dumbed down, with clunky controls, visuals that hinder sight, no skill based leveling (but grind based) and with monetization schemes. Anyone who picks dota 2 instead of dota 1 is a moron in my book.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I would say Dota 1. Dota 2 is just a carbon copy of Dota 1, but dumbed down, with clunky controls, visuals that hinder sight, no skill based leveling (but grind based) and with monetization schemes. Anyone who picks dota 2 instead of dota 1 is a moron in my book.
visuals that hinder sight? how so?

Dota2 is like a hobby in itself. LoL doesn't compare, it's just a casualized version. I'm not gonna say it's worse because I don't know, but I will never play it.

I probably wouldn't play Dota2 if it wasn't for years playing Dota1, having already learned so much. From a commercial stand-point, the game is fucking horrible. But for the initiated, not other Dota-clone compares, and it's the perfect ~1 hour-session game. Action-chess with thousands of little gimmicks.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
visuals that hinder sight? how so?

When "colorful" spells and unnecessary effects hit the fan it's hard to understand what's happening. Dota 1 kept that to minimum, probably due to technical limitations, but still.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I quite honestly don't give a shit which game is "better", but it's a never ending source of amusement how Dota fans rage at the fact that LoL is bigger.

Erzherzog

Magister
This fucking topic again, already? Seriously has it even been one fucking month yet?

I always find the "casual shit" argument so obnoxious. Both are well above the thought required for even the greatest shooter. Both are at least on par with a decent amount of strategy games.

Anyways, Dota 2 has more self wankier (TEH SEKRUT SHOOP!!!!111!!1) but yes, the deny mechanic actually counts as mechanically superior to LoL.

But at the end what it truly comes down to is this: Which game has the more complex roster of characters? And that answer is clearly Dota 2. LoL has a couple champs that just obnoxiously simple. Plus they like to add champs that are more difficult to use from a reflex point of view than strategic.

But at the end of the day calling League "casual shit" is moronic. It's not like it's a game dominated by 10 year olds. This isn't Call of Duty. Especially when you now have titles that legitimately are 'casual shit battle arenas'

Castanova

Prophet
LoL just has so many retarded hero designs. Like that guy who throws axes and you need to go catch them to keep the combo going. Or the guy who throws cards and you need to select a card before throwing it. The design philosophy reminds me of MMOs where they increase difficulty by making you juggle more shit and on your hotbar therefore forcing an update of your "rotation" rather than requiring more thought in terms of approaching the encounters.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
But at the end of the day calling League "casual shit" is moronic. It's not like it's a game dominated by 10 year olds. This isn't Call of Duty. Especially when you now have titles that legitimately are 'casual shit battle arenas'

I think people say that because Blizzard's MOBA isn't out yet, it'll probably make LoL look like Dwarf Fortress in comparison.

Erzherzog

Magister
LoL just has so many retarded hero designs. Like that guy who throws axes and you need to go catch them to keep the combo going. Or the guy who throws cards and you need to select a card before throwing it. The design philosophy reminds me of MMOs where they increase difficulty by making you juggle more shit and on your hotbar therefore forcing an update of your "rotation" rather than requiring more thought in terms of approaching the encounters.

Like I said Draven (the axe thrower) is more reflex complexity than strategic, but on the whole he is actually quite fun to play as (remember, fun the the entire point of gaming.) Plus you have a certain amount of control of where the axe lands so it general adds to the battle of positioning that's going on.

As far as the card master (Twisted Fate), selecting the card is rather simple so it just comes down to selecting the one that benefits you the most for the given situation. Twisted Fate is a prime example of bad design but that's not the part that is.

I think people say that because Blizzard's MOBA isn't out yet, it'll probably make LoL look like Dwarf Fortress in comparison.

You've already got a few failed battle arenas that took shit too casual and that god awful Middle Earth one. Jury is still out on Infinite Crisis and whether it's shit or simpler yet still fun. But yes, Blizzard's entry at the very least is going to change how we look at the current lineup. Either it secures its place or everyone involved is at least able to say "well at least my favorite isn't that bad.

Erzherzog

Magister
This fucking topic again, already? Seriously has it even been one fucking month yet?

You do realize trolls gonna troll and it's people like you who keep the topics going?

I honestly believe we're a small enough community to hash this out to a point where we don't argue it all the fucking time. We've done it with other topics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom