Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime DotA 2 vs LoL

Dota 2 has better art direction and graffix but from a game play perspective it's so tardedly conservative, it's almost like a cult. Never doubt the divinity of icefrog and the original dota, copy of a game written in heaven (or "trust icefrog" as they say)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Dota 2 has better art direction and graffix but from a game play perspective it's so tardedly conservative, it's almost like a cult. Never doubt the divinity of icefrog and the original dota, copy of a game written in heaven (or "trust icefrog" as they say)
While this is true, it still has the best mechanics and characters between the two major contenders. I think HoN would have surpassed it if it hadn't tried to cash in with the fucking 'free' to play scheme, it was doing good things regarding unifying some mechanics (like magic armor becoming a thing instead of 'magic resistance' that stacks in a meaningless way) and changing stuff that was simply an old engine limitation (like the attack speed cap DotA 2 still has for no real reason) though for some reason they kept the retarded movespeed cap, and dota 2 actually did away with it eventually anyways.

The sad thing is, a lot (and I mean a LOT, like upwards of a third) of the dota clones that were made on the WC3 engine were superior to dota 2 or HoN. They had really good, complex mechanics, were well thought out, had excellent pacing and more interesting gameplay options than the whole 'gather shit for half an hour to end the game with a REAL character' system the main players currently use. Advent of the Zenith had amazingly unique characters (2 didn't even have attack animations, and one of those two had no offensive abilities whatsoever, and the variation between them all was accentuated by the fact that your inventory barely did anything to your stats even if you farmed all game), and mechanics that revolved around upgrading your army, defending it's NPC generals and bases, and assassinating enemy generals and destroying key locations. But even though it's such a vastly superior game (it looked about 20x better than dota did too) almost nobody played it because dota got in first and is more casual, the same way LoL dominates the playerbase now.

And even now, there's probably some moba games out there I've never even heard of, much less played, which are vastly superior games that will die in obscurity with their tiny player bases because they're too complex for retards to latch on to and missed the bus at the start of a new genre. I mean, look at the FPS genre. Where's all the cool secrets and hidden shit and cohesive design Doom had? It's all just the lowest common denominator shit these days, pandering to people who need a quest compass and flashing text and possibly even a narrator to solve a one button 'puzzle' to open the door to the next room. I had hoped HoN might become the game largely because they had promised to make it moddable in the way WC3 was, but of course they reneged on that promise as well and even stripped out what modding was already in the game so they could sell more cosmetics (how's that working out for you S2? Bankrupt yet? Rot in hell.)

abija

Prophet
DOTA was an amateur mod. DOTA 2 preserves all horrible amateur decisions made by its predecessor.
LoL was created by a professional studio i.e. not amateurs.
LoL was created by the guys who worked on DOTA before Icefrog took over. The original client screamed "amateur devs", the valve crew are rocket scientists in comparison.

AMG

Arbiter
DOTA was an amateur mod. DOTA 2 preserves all horrible amateur decisions made by its predecessor.
LoL was created by the guys who worked on DOTA before Icefrog took over. The original client screamed "amateur devs", the valve crew are rocket scientists in comparison.
This is only half true. As far as i know only one guy from original dota modders worked at riot and also some fatass who was running the biggest dota website at a time, but I doubt he actually contributed to creating "the game" aside from compromising said website. They also had some people who worked on a game previously(notably a guy apparently responsible for TFT), bunch of nobodies and later on recrutied some players I think. I guess you could say it was a semi-professional studio. However after actually launching the game and witnessing a pitiful attempt at recreating W3 engine, professional is not an appropriate word to use.

Also fun fact, according to wikipedia riot employs about 1000 people. What the fuck are these people doing?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
LoL's development sure has been plagued by amateur mistakes. The client is shit and they obviously didn't anticipate their game becoming as big as it has. Features like spectator mode and replays (the latter is still not implemented) have taken ages and there are a number of problems in the game that haven't been addressed. Not to mention the champs who are virtually useless in their current state. They've also probably grown to fast and become bloated and inefficient as a result

Dota has champs with very interesting and unique mechanics for sure, wish there were more unique skills in LoL as well as opposed to "this is essentially 'Champ X's' Q with a splash of 'Champ Y's' E".

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
League is a game designed for really bad Dota players. Denying is hard, denying removed. Everyone wants to play a carry, so all champions scale. Ganking is stressful, so you are rewarded better by just sitting in lane and farming. Chain stunning takes skill, stuns removed. Remember that league devs were originally Dota players. They took what they saw in lowskill Dota pubs and made a game designed to appeal to those bad players by accommodating how bad they are.
Riot was not seeded by scrubby Dota 1 modders and is a more skilled studio than Valve. Nice joke

League is a game designed for really bad Dota players. Denying is hard, denying removed. Everyone wants to play a carry, so all champions scale. Ganking is stressful, so you are rewarded better by just sitting in lane and farming. Chain stunning takes skill, stuns removed. Remember that league devs were originally Dota players. They took what they saw in lowskill Dota pubs and made a game designed to appeal to those bad players by accommodating how bad they are.
Riot was not seeded by scrubby Dota 1 modders and is a more skilled studio than Valve. Nice joke
Durr, lol is more stressful if anything with lower mana costs for more frequent trades and fighting in lane. Also theres tons of ganks in lol too. Also Valve isn't a particularly skilled studio.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Valve is great when it comes to buying other people and their ideas, unfortunately this idea (DOTA) was a bad one and they fixed nothing about it.

ASTRAL

Arcane
Define "bad".

Whole genre has better mechanical gameplay than any game Sawyer has worked on.

Dota's an infinitely more dynamic game - universal TPs means that ganking and counterganking is more fluid, and the game feels a lot less scripted, for a lack of a better expression; in LoL, teamfights happen at predetermined times (Baron, Dragon, double buff time for the jungler), and the acquisition of items is only a matter of time in that game, since there is no gold loss upon death and there are a variety of passive gold-generating items, which promotes lazy, passive play. This is funny because one of Riot's initial selling points for LoL was that it would be a less passive game, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

I mainly prefer Dota because you feel really powerful in that game, abilities are really strong, and you feel your choices really matter. If you fuck up, you're dead, there's no universal get out of jail for free card. There's also a lot less spamming during laning as a whole, since mana costs are a lot stricter. Also the entire picking/banning process in Captain's Mode is a lot better, with bans interspersed between picks; you can definitely see a lot more thought given to the overall strategy of teams in Dota, rather than just picking whatever's OP at the moment.

This ties into my next pet peeve with LoL: the game simply changes way too much far too frequently. Balancing is important, but overbalancing is shit. Dota has frequent balance changes too, but the philosophy behind the changes themselves is a lot different (preserving aspects of Heroes that make them feel unique rather than nerfing everything) and the frequency is a lot less.

Psh I'm waiting for heroes of the storm, I bet you can unlock kamehamehas (bound to K) by paying dollars.

Seriously though I hope it's good, ~10 min game times could mean some games with old friends.

Awesomenauts is best! (Yeah I don't really know, it's the only MOBA I played but it's a really fun sidescroller.)

Last edited:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
From what little I played, I'd have to go with Heroes of Newerth. Sadly that's pretty much dead by now so I suppose if I find myself having hundreds of hours of free time I'll take up DotA 2.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
From what little I played, I'd have to go with Heroes of Newerth. Sadly that's pretty much dead by now so I suppose if I find myself having hundreds of hours of free time I'll take up DotA 2.

If you find yourself with hundreds of hours of free time, be a man, play a proper RTS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom