Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime DotA 2 vs LoL

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Dota 2 has better art direction and graffix but from a game play perspective it's so tardedly conservative, it's almost like a cult. Never doubt the divinity of icefrog and the original dota, copy of a game written in heaven (or "trust icefrog" as they say)
While this is true, it still has the best mechanics and characters between the two major contenders. I think HoN would have surpassed it if it hadn't tried to cash in with the fucking 'free' to play scheme, it was doing good things regarding unifying some mechanics (like magic armor becoming a thing instead of 'magic resistance' that stacks in a meaningless way) and changing stuff that was simply an old engine limitation (like the attack speed cap DotA 2 still has for no real reason) though for some reason they kept the retarded movespeed cap, and dota 2 actually did away with it eventually anyways.

The sad thing is, a lot (and I mean a LOT, like upwards of a third) of the dota clones that were made on the WC3 engine were superior to dota 2 or HoN. They had really good, complex mechanics, were well thought out, had excellent pacing and more interesting gameplay options than the whole 'gather shit for half an hour to end the game with a REAL character' system the main players currently use. Advent of the Zenith had amazingly unique characters (2 didn't even have attack animations, and one of those two had no offensive abilities whatsoever, and the variation between them all was accentuated by the fact that your inventory barely did anything to your stats even if you farmed all game), and mechanics that revolved around upgrading your army, defending it's NPC generals and bases, and assassinating enemy generals and destroying key locations. But even though it's such a vastly superior game (it looked about 20x better than dota did too) almost nobody played it because dota got in first and is more casual, the same way LoL dominates the playerbase now.

And even now, there's probably some moba games out there I've never even heard of, much less played, which are vastly superior games that will die in obscurity with their tiny player bases because they're too complex for retards to latch on to and missed the bus at the start of a new genre. I mean, look at the FPS genre. Where's all the cool secrets and hidden shit and cohesive design Doom had? It's all just the lowest common denominator shit these days, pandering to people who need a quest compass and flashing text and possibly even a narrator to solve a one button 'puzzle' to open the door to the next room. I had hoped HoN might become the game largely because they had promised to make it moddable in the way WC3 was, but of course they reneged on that promise as well and even stripped out what modding was already in the game so they could sell more cosmetics (how's that working out for you S2? Bankrupt yet? Rot in hell.)

Bloodline Champions. Failed because the morons sold themselves to Failcom. And because they tried to make an !!!isometric!!! action game. :retarded:
S2Games didn't make Savage 3. That's where and why they failed.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Who are all the DotA 2 dexers? Started playing a couple weeks ago (used to play WC3 DotA) and I hate the crapshoot the normal queue is.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah as far as I remember there's like 5 champions with stuns and they are super short and often are ultimates
There are over 30 champions with stuns, and many more with nockups, fears and taunts.

I love when people who shit on lol obviously know next to nothing about the game.

To be clear, I never played dota or hon, so perhaps there is some validity to preferring them to lol, I just woudn't know. But I do know that I like lol, I know it is not an easy game to master, I can see that much effort is put into it by riot (with various effects), and as far as casual shit goes, there is much worse stuff out there to be worried about.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
30 champions out of a pool of what? Like 120 guys or some shit now? Considering a new player that isn't forking over cash will have access to like 10 at a time, with most of those being pulled from the same pool of 15 or however many 'starter' heroes like Ashe and Annie, the impression that there's like 5 is about right.

Besides, it's a matter of relative strength. Stuns in LoL are irrelevant. A 1 second stun on a single target is trivial, you wouldn't even consider such a skill a proper stun in dota. Proper stuns either last 3+ seconds or ~2 seconds but hit multiple targets (with a cooldown of around 5-15 seconds mind you, and almost always a very hefty damage component as well). Compare Lina to Annie for example. Lina can stun for 1.6 seconds with 600 range in a 225 AoE at (that diameter being about 3/4 of the range of a long range hero) every SEVEN seconds. Annie can do that once every one hundred and twenty. Even using lesser spells with inferior radius and range, the best she can manage is a stun every ~14 seconds or so, and that requires juggling your spell casts in a specific way. And there are skills such as Ravage, which can stun in an area covering more than the entire screen for 3 seconds. Literally a team wide 3 second stun almost every time. With disables that powerful in the game (and you'd be hard pressed to find a decent game of dota where a fight between teams past 15 minutes doesn't involve 10+ seconds worth of stuns being thrown around) even a slight mistake will usually leave you utterly fucked with no chance to recover. It's a totally different atmosphere from LoL where a mistake means you get pegged with a skill or two and then you are free to retaliate or flee. Entire matches often come down to a single player being out of position by an inch or two, or failing to avoid a single skillshot, or mistiming a spell by less than a second.

Psquit

Arcane
League of Autism vs Cyka 2... hmmm

I choose Dota 2 cause i dont want to farm ip to unlock champions.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Stuns in LoL are irrelevant.
:hmmm:

Entire matches often come down to a single player being out of position by an inch or two, or failing to avoid a single skillshot, or mistiming a spell by less than a second.
How the fuck is this a good thing in a team-based game in which matches take over 40 minutes to play out? It's a serious question.

30 champions out of a pool of what? Like 120 guys or some shit now? Considering a new player that isn't forking over cash will have access to like 10 at a time, with most of those being pulled from the same pool of 15 or however many 'starter' heroes like Ashe and Annie, the impression that there's like 5 is about right.
It is not about right, he was wrong by an order of magnitude, if you consider nockups as stuns. CCs are a very important part of lol, anybody who denies it doesn't know what he's talking about.

Are stuns more important in dota? Apparently. So fucking what?

Damned Registrations

It's a good thing because it makes things tense, as opposed to a forgegone conclusion where you know that even if your enemies fell asleep at their keyboards and let you cast every spell exactly as you want, they'd just murder you afterwards because a single 1.75 second stun isn't enough to kill anyone important.

DotA is a game that allows for huge comeback plays and demands a very high level of skill to be maintained to avoid giving the enemy such opportunities. This is reinforced in other ways as well, like the long death timer and buyback mechanics.

Damned Registrations

Chess is a perfect example. Even with a large advantage, missing a single move your opponent can make can turn the entire game around. The only randomness involved is the performance of the players, which is precisely what makes for a good game. All the best games hinge on player skill at every moment, from beginning to end. If at any point you can just relax and stop trying, something is horribly wrong.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Mechanics aside, the insane popularity of LoL by itself demonstrates that's it's a game that rewards awful players way too much.
DotA is a game that allows for huge comeback plays

An euphemism for random results.

Every good competitive game I can think of allows for huge comebacks.

True. Too bad it's used as an euphemism in Dota2 since it is due to random results, not skill.

Damned Registrations

Only scrubs think positioning, awareness, and anticipation of your enemy's movements are random. the only significantly random things left in dota 2 are rune spawns (which you can fight over to take advantage of) and the initial creep spawns in the jungle. In both cases the impact is essentially trivial because it occurs at the very beginning of the game, which tends to last a long time and offer many opportunities to change the tide.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Every good competitive game I can think of allows for huge comebacks.

Allowing for a comeback doesn't mean it has to be easy, and the advantage that was gathered by all team members should get easily lost by a single mistake of one member. It's easy enough to lose a game, despite your best efforts, because you just happen to have a fuckwit in your team, or someone disconnects. It's not fun.

It doesn't mean there are no comebacks in lol. Games can be thrown by a single mistake in late-game, it just doesn't happen that often, because the victory is usually a result of the performance of a team throughout the entire game. I don't see what's wrong with that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom