Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOTA Underlords

sser

Arcane
Developer
Been playing it. The game is alright - it's basically resource and synergy management with a slight bit of strategic positioning mixed in. I've already stumbled into a team comp that so far no one can beat so I don't know if the thing is still being balanced. Game is free, by the way, and a very small download. It does seem totally 'early access', but the core mechanics all work. There's just a lot of sloppiness around the edges.

Edit: the team comps actually seem more diverse than I originally thought.

Here are four that I've won with and they're completely different.

1) Warriors/Defender types. Just maxed armor and brute forced my way through people via armor + magic resist. The magic resist is key.

2) Druids/Robots. Insane health regen w/ 1 CC character plugged in the corner for AOE team stuns. I think this might be the most broken of any I've tried - mostly cause it's very easy to pull off.

3) Mage city. Basically take all the mages, boosting mana, reducing cooldown timers, and reducing magic resist in my opponents. Then having a frontline that could live long enough for my two 'Riders of the Light' nuclear cannons in the back to charge up, fire, and promptly delete the opponent. Probably the most amusing build of the four simply because of those Riders.

4) Demons/Anti-Demons Lifestealers. This one was pretty fun. Unlike any I've played, I didn't have any 'tank' type characters. Instead I had 3demons + 2anti-demons. I had a trait that gave me 30% dmg for each demon. Then I kitted the team to have 30% lifesteal w/ two warlock archetypes who were capable of healing. My main guy was 'Terrorblade', a demon/anti-demon. So he had about 150% dmg increase if the other guy didn't have an anti-demon. At level 3, he just started one shotting everything and with the lifesteal on the team he just could not die.

I will say that some ults are clearly just much better than others; if the AI can 'ult' and fire away without thinking and it has a lot of effect, that's a great character. If a character can 'ult' but the AI is retarded so it hits nothing, that character has way less value.

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I can't believe this is the next big thing both Steam and Epic are trying to push. It might have been cool with a strategic layer on top though.

Suicidal

Arcane
Funny thing about this game is that it's a standalone game created by Valve copied from a mod/map created by a random chinese dude for Dota 2, which is a standalone game copied by Valve from a Warcraft 3 map.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got down to play the tutorial. Could be fun enough for a few rounds, but I really don't see the addictive potential here.

(In b4 2000 hours later...)

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Playing this a lot in work lately and kinda liking it. But RNG and stupid AI is really big problem for this game. At least those work both ways so my oppenents are unlucky as hell too.

Irata

Scholar
I kind of enjoy it, but I don't really know why. Especially since I can't shake the feeling that it is all luck and the player has no real agency. Poker is a game of chance, but there is skill in reading your opponents and hiding the strength (or the lack of) of your hand. There is nothing like that here. If the RNGesus hates you there's nothing you can do.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the RNGesus hates you there's nothing you can do.
That's also my biggest takeaway here.
Games without the player being able to follow some agency, or do their own preparations, just have no real pull on me.
In MtG Arena, or other comparable games, I can build my own decks, follow my own ideas - the RNG is almost exclusively limited to the card draw, the rest is skill.
Here, I can only try and do the best with what is given to me in any matchup. Which means things are very random in the beginning, until some focus crystallizes simply by what random champions you get.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom