Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dovahkiin Dovahkiin (Skyrim weeaboos rejoice)

Exmit

Scholar
(dragon tongue)

Dovahkiin Dovahkiin
Naal ok zin los vahriin
Wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal
Ahrk fin norok paal graan
Fod nust hon zindro zaan
Dovahkiin Fah hin kogaan mu draal

Ahrk fin kel lost prodah
Do ved viing ko fin krah
Tol fod zeymah win kein meyz fundein
Alduin feyn do jun
kruziik vokun staadnau
voth aan bahlok wah diivon fin lein

(and in english)

Dragonborn Dragonborn
By his honor is sworn
To keep evil forever at bay
And the fiercest foes rout
When they hear triumph's shout
Dragonborn for your blessing we pray

And the scrolls have fortold
Of black wings in the cold
That when brothers wage war come unfurled
Alduin bane of kings
Ancient shadow unbound
With a hunger to swallow the world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK1jbzMyFeU

:M

Project: Eternity
Listening to that song made me grow a full beard and a battle axe shot out of my ass. There's blood (not mine) all over my clothes, and I'm craving mead.

Should I see a doctor?
paradox1992 2 days ago 93

honorviking.jpg

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wow. Another half-baked fantasy language made up by some retard who has never studied linguistics at all but listened to a recording of Beowulf once. I understand the desire to do things like this. It is an attempt to emulate Tolkien. But the thing people in fantasy don't seem to realize is that Tolkien needed years of study at Oxford to develop the skills necessary to do what he did. However, if you really want to go for that effect, it isn't that expensive to hire some dude with a Master's degree in Linguistics or Medieval Scandinavian studies or something to whip up a believable language. Then they wouldn't have to admit that they are too pathetic to conceive of a consistent language with verb tenses.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DoomIhlVaria said:
Wow. Another half-baked fantasy language made up by some retard who has never studied linguistics at all but listened to a recording of Beowulf once. I understand the desire to do things like this. It is an attempt to emulate Tolkien. But the thing people in fantasy don't seem to realize is that Tolkien needed years of study at Oxford to develop the skills necessary to do what he did. However, if you really want to go for that effect, it isn't that expensive to hire some dude with a Master's degree in Linguistics or Medieval Scandinavian studies or something to whip up a believable language. Then they wouldn't have to admit that they are too pathetic to conceive of a consistent language with verb tenses.

Wat do u mean but it's AWESOME und immersive cool language cool kids don't need years of studies!

Consoletards couldn't care less so it's not like it matters. And this game is aimed just for them.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BTW I would prefer if they wouldn't include 'fantasy' language in books/movies/games but use existing ones instead. For example in TES English is used as a common language but it's not English in the setting. They could use for example Finnish as a Dwarven language, French as elven, Japanese as khajiit etc. Why make up new languages if there are so many already existing?

Exmit

Scholar
Konjad said:
BTW I would prefer if they wouldn't include 'fantasy' language in books/movies/games but use existing ones instead. For example in TES English is used as a common language but it's not English in the setting. They could use for example Finnish as a Dwarven language, French as elven, Japanese as khajiit etc. Why make up new languages if there are so many already existing?

:retarded:

Konjad said:
DoomIhlVaria said:

Wat do u mean but it's AWESOME und immersive cool language cool kids don't need years of studies!

Consoletards couldn't care less so it's not like it matters. And this game is aimed just for them.

I think you mean "no one apart from a few abominations on the internet".

No, no one cares that you know Klingon, Kevin.

Glyphwright

Dragonborn Dragonborn
By his honor is sworn
To keep evil forever at bay
And the fiercest foes rout
When they hear triumph's shout
Dragonborn for your blessing we pray
By his honor, or his *other* honor?

Black Cat

Magister
The song's not too bad, even if it's a bit bombastic for my tastes... But, good lord, the lyrics are, like, totally retarded.

Someone should turn Pathfinder's Goblin Song into the theme song for their game. That would be awesome. This is just boring and kind of stupid, meh.

DoomIhlVaria said:
Wow. Another half-baked fantasy language made up by some retard who has never studied linguistics at all but listened to a recording of Beowulf once. I understand the desire to do things like this. It is an attempt to emulate Tolkien.

Maybe they just wanted to, uhm, get the same effect on the sound without actually doing a language? Think of what they do with vagely Latin sounding made up words, only sounding vaguely whatever instead. There's no need to get anal about fantasy languages used in a theme song, really. I'm sure we will find enough to criticize about Skyrim without going full blown hysterical on it.

Sounds great if you ask me but wouldn't it be easier and... erm... less retarted to use, let's say, old norse for Nord's than making up fantasy language that doesn't make any sense at all?

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
Clockwork Knight said:
Isn't this song mostly latin-sounding gibberish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhoCf7Kq8Bc

Doesn't keep it from sounding cool. That's what 99% of people care about, so that's what they go for.

'eh, I'm fine with them just going for a certain feel. The problem I have is that they are claiming to have created an artificial language when they have only done so in the way that a twelve year old might. You can see some of the prideful douchebaggery here: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/01/20/skyrim-s-dragon-shouts.aspx

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DoomIhlVaria said:

Who gives a fucking shit. By Odin's beard some of you fuckers practically sweat :retarded:.

The Wizard

Educated
only the last song where viking,
i thought it was about just posting metal with north/germanic lyrics.

and the only real difference between (most) viking metal and death metal is just a few "odin" namedrops anyway. so it still counts!

Luzur

Good Sir
The Wizard said:
only the last song where viking,
i thought it was about just posting metal with north/germanic lyrics.

and the only real difference between (most) viking metal and death metal is just a few "odin" namedrops anyway. so it still counts!

no, not exactly, viking metal is actual old sagas and stories with rock music, death metal is more about satan/dying/other.

ex. Ivar's post.

The Wizard

Educated
the track ivar posted was pretty much just a folk song. i don't see the "metal" in it. at all.

but yeah, i need to retract/modify my statement: most viking metal is just power/death/black/folk metal with namedrops.

//this topic is now about arguing about what is and what isn't metal.
//incidentally: skyrim is NOT metal.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Real-world languages in fantasy settings are perfectly fine in my book.

Old Norse, Latin, Akkadian... why not? They're real languages with grammar that is consistent and you don't have to make up words cause there already is a large vocabulary, with many synonyms and different meanings of words.

If they were well-implemented (similar languages being used by peoples living relatively close together, or one being the development of another... Imperials speaking Latin while, say, Bretons speaking Italian which has developed from a mixture of Imperial (Latin) coming in contact with Nordic (Old Norse/Medieval German), for example) it would be pure heavan for a lorefag.

Also you could hide hints to find ancient ruins in lore-books written in the local language. Kinda like N'gasta Kvaka Kvakis or whatever that book was called, only with real content instead of the translation of an advertisement into an obscure spanish dialect.

Radisshu

Prophet
Creating a language isn't that difficult.

Creating a world of languages with language families and stuff would be a challenge, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom