Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

"Down time" in RPG's

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Crispy, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Crispy Who's really in charge here? Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    What if it's a Denver homlette? They're good!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. TalesfromtheCrypt Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    Oh yeah. Kuldahar was perfect. What added to it was the impression that it's a warm, safe haven in a sea of ice, snow and darkness. And that music...

I also liked to hang out in Lonelywood in Heart of Winter, which also had an amazing theme

For completeness sake, let's not forget about the Easthaven theme. I loved exploring that town, the sound of crunching snow on a sunny day under the boots of my party, speaking with Hrothgar, buying my first gear, making preparations.
    Fuck, Icewind Dale was atmospheric as hell...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. hiver Guest

hiver
    I think ive spent more time jump-climbing every single mountain peak and then standing there, letting the camera pull back and start spinning, watching the lands of Skyrim wreathed in snow or under curtains of aurora borealis while dragons drifted through the air in the distance, calling, announcing to the world they are back, then playing those stupid quests.

probably not - actually, but it sure feels that way.

Such a shame the game is such a stupid, shallow, hollow crap otherwise, precisely because of this.

^ Top  
  4. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    I LOVED the tv and radio implementation in Bloodlines. Great merging of casual ambience with narrative function. That game had a lot of 'stop and pause' bits in it, largely due to the way it divided up the mini-hubs (Anarchists' bar, LaCroix's office, Tourrette's club, Hollywood baron etc) while giving those hubs great atmosphere. It also hit a good balance between having reason to return to places (including, but certainly not limited to, your apartment) without making it feel like a chore.

The one additional thing I would have liked would have been an activity in the various bars you tend to find in those mini-hubs. Originally Troika were hoping to have emulated arcade classics playable in the arcade parlour at the pier. A better idea would have been to spread those arcade games out over the various bars and clubs in the gameworld.

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  5. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    ^ Top  
  6. subotaiy Arbiter

subotaiy
    Please don't taint this thread with anime crap.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Lonely Vazdru Pimp my Title

Lonely Vazdru
    Dude, that's pure LARP. The game in which I did it the most was probably Daggerfall. Visiting towns, entering random houses, talking to sexy chicks in taverns, practicing magic, arranging unique items in my house...

^ Top  
  8. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    Ahh yes. Khorinis, Beregost, Easthaven, Vivec or anywhere in Morrowind really. New Vegas too. But Khorinis just had “something”, even with the poor Ai paths and schedules…

And Tarant. And anywhere in Torment.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    The Elder Scrolls series are games based almost entirely around downtime. :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  10. Licorice Savant

Licorice
    I get very frustrated when there is downtime "by design" especially when there's no trade-offs involved.

One thing I liked about Fire Emblem 7 (or was it 6?) was that they had a shopping map, but it had a turn limit after which your score would start falling. I think this was good design.

This doesn't mean I don't like a pause feature in real time games. I like pause features.

^ Top  
  11. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    I like games with good pacing.

That makes sense then, I can see how somebody who played the module might enjoy to see the Hommlet map and npcs implemented almost 1:1, even if for just a few minutes before the nostalgia wears off and they realize that actually needing to navigating around it is a pain in the ass, specially with ToEE's pathfinding.

^ Top  
  12. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    I consider downtime an important part of nearly any genre, not just RPG.

Details regarding what downtime and how much of it depend on individual cases.

^ Top  
  13. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    To me down time is for between adventures. Wasting time while being on an urgent quest should be punished.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Monkeyfinger Augur

Monkeyfinger
    I love management downtime. Give me characters to plan and customize, bases to manage, resources to spend, and I'm perfectly content. If there's good music and a pretty backdrop or UI dressing to go along with it, then it's even better.

I've never been able to sit in environments and soak them up while doing nothing, though, no matter how well made they are.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    Someone will probably come up with contrary examples but I generally associate minimal down time with linearity.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Acromage!

^ Top  
  17. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Fixed.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    I think the issue we find hard to accept is that a cRPG is masturbatory LARPing.

^ Top  
  19. Kitako Arcane

Kitako
    The widespread mentality of "GOGOGOGO" and stats like "xp per hour" is what killed WOW for me.
    Now I just stick to single player games, where I can LARP play at my own pace with my own downtimes.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    I like downtime, but not when it's non-interactive. Hanging around in a lifeless town where you can just look at the scenery is kinda spooky and lonely. But in games like Gothic and TES where you can interact with all the NPCs and even the environment it's nice. I may not LARP I'm some villager and do menial shit like sit down for morning breakfast, but the ability to do so is nice anyway and gives the game world more feeling. And it's nice to just chill and enjoy sometimes especially when it's a difficult game.

Fake edit: Back in the day when I played EQ with my buddy we'd spend days upon days just exploring the vast towns, hanging out and talking with random people and guildies without even thinking about leveling up or getting new loot. When WoW came about and I went over to play that game with a bunch of different friends and they'd just rush through all the content. Didn't even give me time to read the quest descriptions or enjoy some of the nice scenery Blizz had put together. It was just a hamster race to the top.

^ Top  
  21. J1M Arcane

J1M
    ITT we learn that we all used to have more free time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Daemongar Arcane Patron

Daemongar
    In retrospect, maybe 80% of Ultima VII was "downtime". Lots of cities with people to talk to, stuff to do that didn't get you xps or advance the story (Petersons mistress) but just provided entertainment. That little fair with the strength test, and all kinds of stuff. That was one of the reasons why I wasn't as fond of U7:SI. Once the banes are released, all the magic is kind of gone from the cities, even if everyone was kind of an asshole.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    I smoked reefers together with my character in Gothic games.
    True live action role playing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Licorice Savant

Licorice
    In the case of Ultima VII I dont' think you can call it "downtime".

It's too active. Too amusing. It appeals to curiosity and creativity. This is in stark opposition to some weird need for escapism.

It's not passive like "enjoying the atmosphere" or whatever was talked about in 99% of the other cases.

^ Top  
  25. Daemongar Arcane Patron

Daemongar
    What the hell are you talking about?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)