Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

_

Kz3r0

Arcane
A2
B3

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A2
B-
I don't know jack about these Ori dudes, but they sound like bad news. If we can effect covert observation and sabotage on them, I'd rather we do that instead.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

He called himself a prior of the Ori.
Oh shit.

Usury, how did we screw up so bad as to trigger an Ori invasion several years early?? Was it Rush? Did that asshole use the boats choice to somehow find and dig up a communication device and accidentally let the Ori know we exist??

Ok, well, we could see this as an opportunity rather than a problem and use the Ori to defeat the Guld, but in the mean time, what can we do with the Ori themselves?

At this point, we have no knowledge of the Asgard, the Ancients, Ascension etc.

One big problem with B3 is that we would be letting them know that the Stargate exists.

Granted, they came in a ship, probably from another gate, so they may not need the gate, but I wonder if that's just because they weren't sure where exactly the gate would have been had they dialed it and managed to get something past the iris.

They are already gathering believers and soldiers. Soon we could face an invasion from the outside.

However, the fact is, we don't have what it takes to kill one of these guys.

Usury how would Vance AFB try to eliminate the infestation?

From what the Prior says, it seems the Ori are not just here, but elsewhere as well. So at best, I think this will just mean no more Ori... in North America. We should't be surprised that a horde of Ori show up from Mexico or something.
Potentially, or he may have been referring to other planets.

edit: see Usury's post below.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know jack about these Ori dudes, but they sound like bad news. If we can effect covert observation and sabotage on them, I'd rather we do that instead.
Their priors have all of the powers the guld pretend to have plus walk on water biblical powers.

The Ori themselves are ascended ancients who vampire off the belief of billions of followers to gain even more power than the normal ascended ancients.

Rather than being advanced beings pretending to be gods like the guld, they're closer to actual gods.

Bad. News.

edit: false alarm. drop the bomb, exterminate them all.

Yeah, the Ori are bad, bad news.

Another important fact is that they have the Ancients' tech - the actual ancients' tech. The Goa'uld use the same tech, but Goa'uld tech are inferior replicas and bootlegs. Its the equivalent of dudes in Afghanistan making bootleg Khyber Pass AKs vs fighting the actual Russian Army.

I find it hilarious that "Mad Maxer" or "Maxer" has become post-apoc jargon.

Hmmmm... but these are the "New52 Ori". Means we don't know all we can expect from them.

Alright, so meta-knowledge mode OFF.

What do you guys say? We take out the Ori, ignore them or talk? We know these guys aren't bullet-proof which means they are certainly not jet fighter proof. Then again... I'm not sure we want to pick a fight NOW, least of all with unknown aliens. 'sides, its eleven dudes and we don't know their full capacities. I would rather deploy our jet fighters when its far more, and they're clustered. These guys may just die to a bigger band of Maxers anyway.

I think we are not ready to pick another fight with unknows and we have closer problems at hand. Like that cartel guy taking over New Mexico.

For now I'm going with Makepeace as our second in command.

A4>2B3

Right now I would rather talk with the Ori and put Makepeace as our second, or Maybourne. I like Maybourne, but I can't shake off that the man is not to be trusted and he just appeared like, yesterday.

hello friend has the right idea about acting like you don't know the meta. Because you don't. Not exactly. Throughout this little adventure, I've altered lore-elements in need of altering (imho, of course), and that includes the Ori. In the series, the priors stopped bullets with their minds like a Keanu Reeves film. In our story, a prior has already been riddled with hollow points. Other matters differ as well.
Ah. Well, that does change a lot.

Sorry for my rolleyes rating, hello friend. :salute:
The Ori never ascend any of their followers, making their entire religion a lie, despite the fact that the ancients outnumber them. One would think they could use reinforcements.
But it gets better. They draw enough cosmic power from the worship of their followers to equal the strength of the ancients. (So much for the insignificance of the mortal plane.)
IIRC, I think they didn't use their belief exactly. You can believe anything, but that won't make it true. I think the reason they didn't ascend their followers was to use the untapped potential ascension energy if you will. In essence, gaining the power that their followers would have gained themselves had they ascended.

The advantage? You get the strength normal numbers would give you without having to give up any of your say in how you want to run the cosmos.

Look at the ancients themselves in our galaxy: they can punish their own if they decide their behavior breaks the rules that the majority decide on.

If the Ori ascended their followers, they could quickly find themselves outnumbered, overruled, and potentially de-ascended into slugs or something.
In their own galaxy they have worshipers on... dozens of worlds (mentioned in the episode crusade). Again, one would suppose the proper strategy for such beings would be an unprecedented terraforming and breeding program to multiply their followers by the millions. But, no, because the SGC really would have zero chance of stopping them.
But SG-1 did stop them, and not with the power of the ascended ancients or by virtue of the fact that they were invading rather than waiting and breeding, but using a technological device invented by an ancient.

Moreover, our galaxy was a threat simply for not believing as we could dissuade their followers and thus damage their power base, which is how they defeated the Orisi, again using another device already invented by an ancient.

Thus, an immediate attack before the collective of ancients could come to a consensus and decide to help Earth defeat the Ori and before Earth could do damage on their own was necessary.

Plus, the Ori strike me as "shortcut to absolute power" types rather than the zen patience types. They didn't try to convert by peaceful methods alone at first and then wait until later to start burning people alive, which would have been more effective. Instead they did the whole "submit or die" thing right off the bat.

I *do* agree with you that they were flawed though. They were too powerful. They weren't the fake gods that the show was premised on.

Maybourne succeeded in establish comms with Vance AFB. Should have mentioned that. You can look up what they've got stashed their on wikipedia. A cursory glance indicates a lot of jet fighters. If you ordered Vance to take out the Prior and his little cult, I'm sure they'd do the best they could.
From what I'm gathering, defeating him could certainly be possible. The guy's eye may not have been left screwed up on purpose.

They're mortal.

A2, B2 - we can kill it with fire.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I am all in favor of meta if is integral to the LP by here is basically ruining it.
So by now we know that they are mortal and their power comes from believers, hello Molineux, essentially by preventing them to spread their religion we are keeping them in check, it’s also possible that their powers are directly proportional to the number of their followers, so the prior is not strong enough at the moment.

Out of all this mess I suggest to use real Kwan politics, make a deal with the cartels and launch a raid on them so it will look like savages slaughtering ‘missionaries’, par of the course I guess, a massive air strike could elicit unwarranted attention.

Send the nuke.
The Quorum retaliated by expelling all non-Mormons from Utah. They had formed a paramilitary force which they called the Danites--presently expanding their new state of Deseret by seizing communities and expelling the locals. One report said the Danites had eliminated the fundamentalist polygamist Mormon offshoots, who posed a threat to their legitimacy.
They sound pretty based though tbh.
Before the SG force rescued her from the suburbs, her mother had already wriggled her way into Colonel Makepeace's bed.
Alright, Makepeace! Honestly, he was one of my favorite background characters and it pissed me off when they wrote him out.

Glad we got to bone her adopted daughter too.

A1 - The guy is a problem. Seems about like the raiders. We don't need to be fighting the Mexican equivalent of Caesar's Legion from FO:NV.
B3 - It'd be interesting to see what Rush comes up with to win and keeping him distracted working against someone else wold be to our advantage. Besides, if the other guy wins, he can be manipulated.
C1 - Might as well. Also, this sounds like a minor guld who can't hold his own without help. That's why he's asking for the naquada to begin with. We might be able to strike some other deal with him or even a (temporary) alliance.
D3 - I don't want the Cromites to tell this Guld about Crom, a world ripe with slaves.
E2
F1
- the man needs a dose of reality and hopefully seeing Carter will calm his ass down some more.
G2 - Begin recruiting followers for our new religion.

BIG update! A good look at the internals of SGC, as well as in the outside world's situation.
Pity I don't have photoshop here, I would make a map.

So, from what we know of North America right now:

Colorado: Colorado Springs and Denver devastated. Mad Maxers.
Utah: State of Deseret.
New Mexico: Sinaloa Cartel is going full Caesar's Legion over there
Oklahoma: Vance AFB, mad maxers.
Kansas: Mad Maxers vs the Ori Priors.
Mexico: Aliens?

I'm surprised we don't know what's going on in Wyoming.

Seems like the Good General lost the struggle against the forces of Thotery and Jailbait.

And Makepeace was getting some action all along! That snake! Was anyone NOT screwing anyone in this base? One nuking and everyone is already jumping at each other.
Makepeace, more like Makelove amirite?

Anyway...

A1B3C1E2F1G2

A1: I think its best to keep Vance AFB in Oklahoma right now. Furthermore, I thought we could have come to an arrangement with these Cartels, but turns out they're maniacs going full Caesar's Legion on New Mexico. Better to attack them before we're affixed to crosses.

B3: Let Rush sweat a bit fighting the other guy. 'sides, I like the idea that Wallesy is seen "above" normal politics. More like a Monarch than a President, if you will.

C1: Could be handy to keep the stuff on-hand. If we can't double-cross this asshole, we may come to terms with him.

D3: Last thing we need is to alert the Goa'uld to Crom.

E2: I'm not giving free recruits to the Ori, these people are better off dead.

F1: O'neil is best of the best, and what he is good at, is exploring other worlds. 'sides, the rules changed.

G2: We're not pulling out of Crom, not until we find our people. No one left behind.

hello friend

Arcane
A1 - These people would just as soon sell us out to the Goa'Uld as work with us. Get rid of them.
B2 - Impartiality looks good, but I prefer to have Rush in charge and somewhat indebted to us. This doesn't buy his loyalty, but it helps.
C1
D2
- There's no rush. Let's see what we can get.
E2 - And risk them spilling intel? No go no way.
F3 - Put him where he can keep Rush in check, I trust Rush's competence but not his loyalty. The same goes to a lesser degree for O'Neill, but somehow I think they will tend to be at odds, thus balancing each other out. F1 is tempting, though. The Brazilian Slaughter is right about offworld exploration being his forte, it would be a shame to let those talents go to waste.
G2

B2 - Impartiality looks good, but I prefer to have Rush in charge and somewhat indebted to us. This doesn't buy his loyalty, but it helps.
I would argue that Rush isn't a man with any loyalty at all. He has his goals and anything or anyone that stands between him and them is just an obstacle. IMO, we gave Rush his way last time and that hasn't stopped him from plotting whatever he is doing with those phones and it hasn't made him clue us in on it either. Though perhaps he really does have some kind of affection meter and it just takes us focusing more on it. We'll see.

We also have to consider that by taking a side, we piss off the people who are voting the other way. Not just the congressman, but those voting for him.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
A1) Order Vance AFB to bomb Sinaloa
B3) Remain neutral
C1) Start gathering naquadah for the ransom of SG-5 - what sources of it might we have, atm?
D3) Trade them to Burrock's World for grain
E2) Don't
F1) Recall O'Neill to Earth and exploration duty
G2) Keep Crom base operational

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom