Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress Downfall - Stargate CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by MercantileInterest, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Usury Arcane

Usury
    Trust Kodeks to try negotiating with a tree. :negative:Ja, I see that Andnjord has tied the vote again but have already worked out the consequences of the vote going the other way, so too late. Your other choices will still factor in.

I will gib updatin' sometime but am horribly pressed for time. Yes, am writing registries and raising the level of intellection in GD but, as it so happens, arguing with Italians is easier and quicker than writing a quality CYOA post.

Also, dying of ebola. Ah, glorious dissolution of the self...

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Andnjord Arcane

Andnjord
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Usury Arcane

Usury
    Day 52

"General! What do you want here?" Dr. Rothman asked. "This is just a lab. I mean, we're working, and... we didn't do anything."

"You say you've found something significant." Said Wellesy.

"Sure but... I mean... I haven't prepared my presentation yet."

"I find my schedule increasingly filled but I've a free moment at present." The general peered into a microscope. "What have you got doctor?"

Rothman threw began tinkering with an unfinished powerpoint on the office computer. His eyes darted back to the base commander. He straightened up and adjusted his lab coat.

"Alright, we've been to a lot of worlds with habitable biospheres. The MALP robotic probe measure the atmosphere every time it arrives on a new world. The gateroom technicians noticed the MALP has been picking up a consistent oxygen level of 19.7% of the atmosphere, which is lower than Earth but easily breathable. Now, the SG teams have been talking about the forests all looking the same." The archaeologist grinned. Then he ducked to the computer monitor. "Before the Goa'uld attack, when we discovered the Land of Light, Hammond wondered how the plants there could survive constant exposure to sunlight. Our biologists brought back plant samples and sequenced the genomes. In evolutionary terms, the biosphere of that planet isn't related to ours. However, here at the lab, we've just had a chance to sequence some genomes from other worlds. All the planets with the 19.7% oxygen composition are related. That includes P3X-595 and P3X-008. They were terraformed."

"By the Goa'uld?"

"Not likely, general. We examined the mitochondrial molecular clock--how far the different planets have diverged genetically--and we estimate that the terraforming took place eleven million years ago. Might have been before the creation of the stargates. Or after. Terraformers and the gate builders might have been the same race. I think it's just a lucky coincidence that our human biology so closely matches this very common type of terraformed world. That's probably why the Goa'uld chose us as a slave species."

"Any worlds with unrelated biospheres?"

"A few." Dr. Rothman scratched his beard. "The Alpha Site, for one. One of the reasons of the reasons we picked it was for the 21.3% atmospheric oxygen. M3X-8417 seems to have evolved naturally. That beach world Smith-Young was talking about. Mass spectrometry indicates it orbits a very young star. Life just hasn't had time to evolve complexity."

Wellesy stood up. "It is interesting. Any practical applications?"

"One. During the two years of the SGC's operation, before the Goa'uld bombed earth, we brought back three separate viral bacterial strains. Together, they killed perhaps 20 million people worldwide. The medical establishment noticed that Colorado Springs had become ground zero for these new pandemics. One day we had a mob of protestors outside the base demanding the shutdown of biological weapons research. Made me late to work. See, all the bacterial strains were descended from earth organisms, which is what evolutionary theory would predict. Other biospheres, even those of the terraformed planets, haven't evolved in lockstep with us. Their bacterial analogues don't know how to interact with our bodies."

"We can only get sick on worlds which the Goa'uld colonized with humans."

"No. We're only likely to get viral infections on those planets. SG-12 did have one of its members infested by fungal-analogue spores. That was gruesome but he had it for months before it metastasized, without it leaping to anyone else." He shrugs. "That's all."

"Good work, doctor."

---​

"Receiving SG-3's IDC." Sgt. Walter Harriman called out. "Opening the iris."

Colonel Makepeace stepped through the wormhole. He strode down the gangplank and up the stairs to the gateroom.

"I need to see the general now."

"We'd have to wake him up." Said Walter. "Colonel O'Neill is in. Can he handle it."

"This is bad. Get Wellesy. And check if this is in our database." He slapped down a handwritten stargate address.

---​

"The Alpha Site has gone to hell, sir." Makepeace clenched his fists. "Jackson set up an ultrasonic broadcaster to talk with the tree-mimics. We couldn't see them, but the aliens really started yapping. Went on for a few hours. Jackson hadn't worked out what any of it meant when the things shut up all at once. We haven't heard 'em since. Anyway, I'd set up a guarded perimeter. Mimics are sneaky but slow and with no one going into the forest, we haven't lost anyone. However, you sent..." he stopped "...we got a couple thousand of those cripple creek rednecks and they learned they were surrounded by carnivorous chameleon trees. A few hours ago, three fifty-two Alpha time, something chucked a javelin at one of my marines on the perimeter. A simple weapon, just a sharpened wood spike, but it punched right through a corrugated tin shed. Erwin is lucky the thing missed. He fired a burst into the wood. Don't know if he hit anything but the noise woke up the colonists. Those pansies saw the javelin and mutinied. Dialed up the gate and left. We've just lost about a hundred and fifty of Earth's best physicists, chemists and biologists. Most of the Cripple Creek townsmen didn't know what was going on but they went too. General panic. It's a mess, sir."

Wellesy breathed out slowly. How had the mutineers gotten a stargate address? They wouldn't have rushed off without knowing where they were going. They must have bribed one of the SG personnel. He wondered what they had given as a bribe. The Alpha Site wasn't full of saleable commodities. Perhaps they had merely persuaded. Either way, it meant there were holes in his authority. Word hadn't gotten out, which meant there had to be relatively few mutineers but the others had been willing to follow along.

Sgt. Harriman stepped in. "Sir, I've found Colonel Makepeace's address. It's P3Y-7145."

SG-10 had nicknamed that planet 'Crom' after stumbling upon the aftermath of a battle between iron age human barbarians. SG-10 observed the victors looting the corpses from a safe distance with binnoculars but decided against introducing themselves. It had been a barren, snowy pine forest. Perhaps the seasons had since changed and the planet had grown warmer. Perhaps the snow had gotten worse. Wellesy couldn't guess why the mutineers would want to go there of all places. If he had to make a stab at it, he would suppose that whomever they had asked for an address hadn't realized why they wanted one and not done his research properly.

"What's the atmospheric oxygen percentage of P3Y-7145?" Wellesy asked.

Harriman blinked. "19.7% It's not uncommon, sir."

"What are the numbers for the Alpha Site?"

"412 from Cripple Creek remaining, plus 80 of Earth's top talent. Dr. Rush stayed. Think he didn't want to abandon his reactor. Nice to have electricity, at least."

The general considered. With more time, Dr. Jackson might make a breakthrough with the tree-mimics. On the other hand, it might be a futile exercise. Worse yet, the mimics might figure out a way to break the base defenses. Meanwhile, another 40,000 survivors had already huddled outside the base doors and the site commander on Savannah had already begged him not to send any more people for a week.

---​

decisions (open)

1A) Send SG-10 to find out what's happening on Crom.
    1B) Don't.

2A) Order Dr. Jackson to continue with his tree talk.
    2B) Send Makepeace with his civilian chainsaw floracide team to level the forest.
    2C) Fortify the site, shut down the ultrasonic tranmitter, and wait for the tree-mimics to go away.
    2D) Abandon the Alpha Site.

3A) Ignore the 40,000 survivors.
    3B) Feed them but don't send them anywhere. (This will buy a few days but exhaust base supplies.)
    3C) Send them to the savannah planet (P3X-008).
    4D) Drop them off to scrounge around on the mining planet (P3X-595).
    4E) Send them to the Alpha Site.
    4F) Drop them off on Crom.
    4G) Send them to the Land of Light.
    4H) Split them between various worlds (name the planets.)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    1A) Send SG-2 to find out what's happening on Crom.

2B) Send Makepeace with his civilian chainsaw floracide team to level the forest.

They're coming right for us!

4E) Send them to the Alpha Site.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Andnjord Arcane

Andnjord
    1A - Need knowledge
    2B - You bloody tree-hugers, I told ya we had to chop them up.
    3H - A third on Alpha Site, a third on Crom and a third on Land of Light I guess.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    A
    A
    A

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    1A
    2A
    4G

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag
    Seconded :salute:

^ Top  
  9. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This

^ Top  
  10. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag
    Why would you nutjobs start sending people to Crom BEFORE WE CHECKED IT OUT?

• meh meh x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    This is the Codex.

Shits and giggles?

• :M :M x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Andnjord Arcane

Andnjord
    Dunno, probably because I typed this after a really long day? Also nothing named CROM can be bad. Well, except for the weak and infirm I guess.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    By the way, have we met the Asgard already?

1A - We need to check it out, could be something useful in there. At the very least, we can make some friends. It would be easy to trade with some primitives.
    2A - I would rather NOT buy a fight with the Tree Mimics right now.
    4H - Split the refugees between Crom, Land of Light and the Mining Planet.

I'm not too hot on chainsawing the Mimics right now.
    1. It would upset the more ethical and namby-pamby members and make them think we're comitting genocide on a possibly intelligent sentient species.
    2. We have no idea how many Tree Mimics there are. The entire planet might be full of them. We're not ready to fight a full-scale war against Tree Mimics. And if they are intelligent and able to talk - we could score some great new allies.

I do find strange that they were chattering, and then got silent. Could there be something worse than Tree Mimics? Or are they worried that Jackson is evaesdroping their comms?
    Spears are interesting. Tool-making. Possibility of intelligence increased. Unless that was NOT the Tree Mimics.

I say try again. If it fails, its Chainsaw Exterminatus Time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    :argh:
    That or whoever did it had negotiated with the barbarians beforehand and is going to setup an army there. Better send a nuke. Do we have a lot of extra nukes? Meh.

1A - I guess it's the next best thing to sending a nuke. We can't have the best science of Earth in the hands of Hyboria world.

2B - it's one of those let's plays, I see. I guess the fact Earth was nuked at the start means that SG-1's luck stat isn't as high as in the series. Actually, if it were an SG-1 episode, this would be the climax and Dr Jackson would desperately work to communicate with them once he saw Makepeace and the chainsaw team, only figuring things out at the last minute. The way this LP is going though, he'd just get himself or Makepeace eaten by a tree.

4G - I tend to think splitting them is a worst of all world's approach. Wherever you send thousands of people at a time is bound to end in disaster. Best to send them to Land Of Light so that we can have the numbers when we take the place over. That or dump them on the savanna world. If you dump them on the mining world, they will take over the mine and hold it hostage for food etc.

MercantileInterest are these all the worlds we know of? We really need a "dialing computer" spoiler in the first post. I'd like to just dial up a space gate or a water world and dump 'em all in there.

A 40k strong army tends to help when dealing with barbarians.

Of course, they are all unarmed and would end up slaves, but that's beside the point... :M

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Usury Arcane

Usury
    ayo HOLE UP (open)

The Alpha Site has been under siege by carnivorous imitation trees, with some impressive problem solving abilities. If they are intelligent, they're intelligent in a very different way than humans. It may be possible to communicate with them (we can communicate with dogs) but expecting that to happen within a 42min time slot is unreasonable. Could happen with a bit of luck but don't count on it.

We could use a 'dialing computer' spoiler in the intro post. Sounds like a lot of work, though.

Day 53

"Once you go through the old orifice," Colonel O'Neill gestured as another chevron lit up on the stargate, "radio back to let us know the other side is clear and head out to find the lost talents. SG-20 will follow and make sure that evacuees don't slow down when they arrive."

SG-10 checked their P-90s. They were veterans of the past two years of the stargate program. Almost no one who got involved with the SGC wanted to transfer on his next deployment. At first, it had been too exciting and then, when they learned of the Goa'uld fleet enroute, too desperate. How could someone transfer to Buckley or Peterson and stand the stress of not hearing about the imminent alien invasion, indeed pretending not to know about it? SG-10 was a ten man unit--six original and four tacked on in the final months when the Pentagon diverted additional resources to the program. 2nd Lieutenant Robins snapped on her helmet and straightened when she saw the General approaching. She had ranked quite high at the Airforce Academy, although Hammond certainly hadn't noted anything remarkable about her in his reports.

"Kaylie Robins," he tore the velcro butterbar insignia from her uniform. Her eyes widened. "You've earned something better." He passed her a 1st Lieutenant's insignia.

"Well, thank you, sir. Forgot all about advancement, considering our paychecks ain't worth anything. Appreciate the sentiment anyway." She winked.

General Wellesy knew how to hint at a frown without altering his expression. Robins startled back. Whether she was trying to seduce him or whether military decorum had simply decayed so much he wasn't sure. Either way worried him.

The stargate burst out in a facsimile of radiant liquid. SG-10 advanced through, radioed the all-clear, and the other team followed. One of the side doors to the gateroom slid open and an airman led in a throng of evacuees four wide. The line trickled back through the facility, up the stairs and to the outside--4,000 in all. Airman stationed at various points encouraged them to keep moving while recordings played over the base intercom to inform them on the known facts of Crom. Wellesy had learned earlier that in order to move any large group of ignorant civilians through the gate, he first had to invite a few representatives through to some world, bring them back and let them disseminate the word to the rest of the survivors. Otherwise, half the crowd would fear that the military intended to butcher them for nutrients. The survivors carried a mishmash of gear: tents, blankets, crackers, stoves, clothes and guns. Some of them had books. One teenager carried a skateboard. There were mothers with babies too small to crawl and feeble old men. Wellesy wondered what they would make of Crom.

---​

The whine of a chainsaw toppled another tree. With a creak and a sag, it crashed down. Some of the conscripted lumberjacks began hacking away at the limbs. The mimics could probably fake a fallen tree as well as a healthy one but they couldn't pose as logs. A tumbled clearing thick with sawdust stretched around. A little ways off, other teams hacked at the greenery. The lumberjacks moved towards yet another tree.

"Hold up!" Makepeace shouted. He lowered his M-16, set the sights and tapped out a single bullet. A gush of blood burst from the alien mimic and it began to waddle away. He laughed and switched to fully automatic. They were so slow and it felt good to pay them back for what they had done.

"I'm going to feed you to that vegan statistician nerd." A staccato burst of fire drowned out his vengeful scream.

---​

The reports from the newly charted worlds were in. Many were not suited to the immediate needs of the Command but some few might prove useful. M3Y-88 held more traces of 'Asgard' mega-architecture. Exploration had turned up examples of these enormous metal edifices on various worlds, which also made use of Norse motifs. All previous sites had been systematically sabotaged but M3Y-88 looked to be intact. The team which charted it had found nothing technological but the site merited further examination.

SARC Camille Wray kicked the office door open. Before he could contain himself, the general let out a long sigh. The tiny Asian woman's eyes lit up. Although a civilian, she was a part of the SGC. Airforce regulations demanded a Sexual Assault Response Coordinator at every command and the woman revelled in her authority to inflict mandatory sexual assault training sessions upon the base. Wellesy had considered getting rid of her, but there was still a possibility that some superior officer would show up. Worse, some underling might use a removal of the SARC as an excuse to justify deposing Wellesy. Would O'Neill do that? Maybe if Jackson or Carter talked him into it.

"How can you send these people to Crom?" Wray wrung her tiny fists. "13,000 people with nothing to eat. The planet's in winter. There's snow. It's cold! This is a violation of basic human rights. These people are refugees. They're our refugees. They're... Why are you looking behind me?"

O'Neill peered through the open door. "Shall I wait a minute, sir?"

"Get in here." Wellesy turned to the SARC. "Sit down and shut up. I'll deal with you in a minute. Colonel, what is it?"

"SG-10 has failed to dial back. Not sure what's happening on Crom. I'd like to go look for them, sir. Also, SG-8 is three hours overdue by now. They were investigating what appeared to be a high technology world. Grungy looking place, but the MALP picked up artificial signals. Not Goa'uld. We dialed through and tried to call but they haven't answered. Suggest a search and rescue."

---​

[​IMG]

decisions (open)

1A) Send O'Neill (with a team) to search for SG-10 on Crom.
    1B) Send someone else.
    1C) Don't

2A) Send a team to look for SG-8.
    2B) Don't.

3A) Leave the SARC alone.
    3B) Lock her up in the SGC detention facility.
    3C) Send her to the Alpha Site.
    3D) Send her to Savannah.
    3E) Send her to the mining planet.
    3F) Send her to the Land of Light.
    3G) Send her to Crom.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    ^ Top  
  16. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    1A
    2A
    3A

^ Top  
  17. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Well RIP Tree Mimics. To be fair, fuck them. Maybe we talk when our boots are on their necks.

Lol why you people ended up sending everyone to a world we don't even know. I don't understand you people.

1A
    2A
    3A

This ain't a dictatorship, let that little woman do whatever she wants.
    Go after our people.

I'm kinda worried with the breaking discipline.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    1a 2a 3g

^ Top  
  19. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    A
    A
    A

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag
    AAA, the new Industry Standard :salute:

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    A
    A
    C

^ Top  
  22. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    1A) Send O'Neill (with a team) to search for SG-10 on Crom.

2A) Send a team to look for SG-8.

3A) Leave the SARC alone.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    [​IMG]

1a
    2a
    3g - the barbarians of Crom will educate her on how to be a woman.

No, at this point, it literally is a military dictatorship...

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Usury Arcane

Usury
    [​IMG]

Day 54

Z9X-0001 orbited a blue giant in the intergalactic void. The world was itself cold and lifeless, with the look of a barren moonscape, but a domed facility enclosed the stargate. The facility seemed to have to exit, though peering through the translucent dome panels one could see the great spiral disk of the Milky Way. No one could tell of what it was made but extreme age had led the edges and corners to crumble. The complex buzzed with radio and x-ray signals in unfathomable patterns. A sample of writing matched that found at Heliopolis, the planet where the four great races once met.

SG-8 had gone through with advanced instruments to investigate the technology but overstayed for some hours. Radioing through the gate had failed to reach them. Wellesy had ordered SG-2 to bring them back and, indeed, Major Griff had succeeded but SG-8's account of what had happened vexed the general.

"The panel with the writing was emitting a lot of ultraviolet radiation." Said Captain Durant. "Couldn't tell what it's made of. When I touched it, the writing melted away. The whole slab seemed to dissolve. It was like an open window into a sunny landscape. We could feel the sun shining through and the change in the air. Someone touched it and then we were there."

"In the landscape?" Wellesy asked.

"Yes. None of our gear with us. Naked even. We couldn't see the window behind us but nobody cared. It's hard to describe. We felt better. I could see better, even without my glasses. Carlson's fillings were gone but his teeth were whole again. There was grass. Earth. Trees. A lot of green under a golden sky. Perfect temperature. I ate some berries. Stupid of me but I didn't even think of it. A leaf fell from one of the trees. It evaporated when it touched the ground.

"Has Dr. Fraser had a look at you?"

"As far as she tell, we're back to normal. Need my glasses again. Sir, except for us, that... place... was entirely quiet. No animals. Not even worms in the dirt. No wind. The sea was perfectly still. Like glass. Except, sometimes something like an enormous squid rose to the surface and sunned itself. I swear, it seemed to go on for miles. Weird, but it didn't worry us. The light didn't change either and we didn't get sunburnt."

He lapsed into silence. Major Griff of SG-2 spoke up.

"When we showed up, we found all their gear piled up in front of the slab with the writing. We touched it, it opened like Durant said and we saw them on the other side. They saw us and came back. Collapsed as soon as they came through. We carried them back on stretchers. The doc couldn't figure why they'd collapsed but they recovered quickly."

"Still really hungry." Said Durant.

"I see." Wellesy said at last. "You're dismissed and, Durant, have your team check in with Fraser again."

"Yes, sir. I understand."

---

[​IMG]

---
    "Get up."

Rough hands shook Wellesy awake. He had been sleeping in his bed. Even before the Goa'uld attack, the commander often faced situations too important to leave and so had relatively lavish quarters on base. In case of emergency, one of the airmen would wake him, but he recognized none of the nine men and women around him. They carried guns. One grabbed his shoulders, dragged him before a desk and shoved a pen into his hand.

"Sign this."

"What's going on here?" Wellesy asked.

"Your resignation." Camille Wray appeared. "You've violated at least five fundamental humans rights. You have to go."

A cold revolver muzzle tapped his temple and another voice spoke. "Sign."

---​

decision (open)

1A) Sign
    1B) Don't
    x) refuse
    y) keep silent

^ Top  
  25. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Fucking pussies, I told you to send the cunt to Crom.

1BX

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)