Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress Downfall - Stargate CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by MercantileInterest, Jan 20, 2019.

1. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    A2B1C1

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Say, why you guys are so willing to give O'neil and Carter a slap on the wrist?

I think that after all this shit, its time for the General to show some autoritah 'round these parts.
    O'neill is probably Coup Threat Number One, but he's a loyal guy who knows the rules, so I think its safe to assume O'neill knows to man up and assume he fucked up.

• M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Because they have no understanding of the situation and just want to "ship" two characters that, CAN GET MARRIED IN A3 ANYWAY!!!

Demoting O'Neill is a really important step to take. His rank makes him a potential threat and Makepeace is generally friendlier to getting things done without whinging about muh morals, which we kind of need in this LP the way things have gone. O'Neill is a military man and will probably understand and accept the order. He will still be the highest ranking member of SG1.

O'Neill just cannot handle the responsibilities of his rank at the moment. He almost broke after the first Crom mission. Being a lower rank will free him up psychologically by allowing him to shut up and follow orders.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    We know from the show that O'Neill is capable and trustworthyish

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag
    A1
    B2
    C2

^ Top  
  6. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    But he fucked up, bad. You don't fraternize with the troops, period. He knows this.

We can't "caress his head", if you will, just because he has star power.

Earth got nuked and discipline has fallen apart. Wallesy just survived a coup attempt and there was an officer making pretty eyes at us the other day.
    Walllesy needs to enforce some hardcore MILITARY DISCIPLINE, and now. Otherwise, the troops will start doing all sorts of shit and getting away with it.

If the troops want to get some, they should go have fun in Alpha Site or something.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Nah, I agree he should be demoted - although I'm not changing my vote. That being said, it is important to remember that these are special circumstances, many exceptions will have to be made to standard procedure. Sometimes a firmer hand than is customary, other times more lax. The military was a career, but now with humanity under threat only a coward would deenlist - people are now effectively locked into serving the needs of humanity regardless of their own wishes and desires. Desertion is not permitted, and civilians may not always be accorded the full complement of rights they are used to. As such, we must navigate the tightrope between being ineffectual and being a tyrant. Too harsh, and there will be a coup, no matter how strict the discipline. Too lax, and mistakes will be made, people will die, and there'll probably also be a coup because a strong leader is required.

The Brazilian Slaughter I'm getting the feeling from the sum of your posts ITT that you want to rush into an airtight fascism. That would be a mistake, I think. We're walking in a minefield.

Aw, shit. I'm changing my vote after all. O'Neall is setting a bad example for the others.

Lambchop19's A3

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    SALUTE AL GENERALISSIMO! HEIL WALLESY! HEIL WALLESY!

Lol nigga you haven't seen me go full fascist yet. I actually alerted people that we could't go "Full Fascist", at least not yet.

I would like a bit more margin of moral action, through.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I probably found the concept of the military as a career a bit strange, because I live in a conscription country, so military service is obligatory patriotic duty.

Are you telling me that, due to the attack, the soldiers are in effect married to their jobs and are not restless because there is no more "back at home" they fight for?

^ Top  
  10. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    I mean as their service is no longer fully voluntary, we're no longer just running a military, we're effectively running a nation. Martial law is in effect, but we need to be careful about managing dissent, and make full use of both the carrot and the stick. If we only use the stick I think we will have a bad time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    A3
    B2
    C5

^ Top  
  12. Usury Arcane

Usury
    litany (open)

I found Cassie's storyline in the show implausible. As for the part about Ra, didn't invent it until yesterday. This LP won't concern the system lords unless you survive long enough to encounter them. But, when we began, I did want to keep Ra around as he's a character with a lot of potential. Just hadn't worked out the backstory.

Day 59

"O'Neill," Wellesy pulled the pins from the man's collar, "You are demoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel."

The former full-bird stared, his expression entirely blank. The minute stretched on. At last, he crooked his neck. "Don't know that I can handle the cut to my pay, sir."

"More insubordination." The general waved to the empty office. "Who are you trying to impress? Hammond used to allow you a great deal of leniency. I'm willing to do the same. I don't blame you for what you did but the base needs to remember who's in charge. You get to be my sacrificial offering. Look, I don't view you as my subordinate but as my disciple. You and I have passed far beyond the conventional chain of command. Our military is no longer a career or even a war. This is the rest of our life. So, the girl..." He instinctively reached for a cigarette but, of course, there wasn't any. "Well, what are girls for? Seems harmless but it undermines me and that means it undermines all of us. So, I'm replacing you with Makepeace. Not necessarily permanent. Do well, and I will richly reward you."

He peered into the other man's face. O'Neill was still angry but, otherwise, he concealed his thoughts. The general resolved to send him back to the wintry planet, where he could cool down.

"Tell me about the barbarian army on Crom."

"12,000 strong, sir. They've camped outside the fort. I would have fired the mortars but they're towing a few thousand earth prisoners. When I left, the wind was too strong for the UAVs. Not clear what these barbarians mean."

"All right, get back there."

---​

Word came in that the Natives in the Land of Light had risen up against the resettled Tau'ri. As it turned out, mixing 13,000 ragged and starving earthlings into a primitive society was enough to collapse the social order. The natives had attacked with spears and inflicted considerable carnage but about one in fifteen of the Americans had a gun and their retaliation soon spiraled into a bloody, disordered and hysterical revenge during which they depleted an uncertain amount of their ammunition. Meanwhile, the surviving natives summoned their warrior allies from farther afield in preparation for greater bloodshed.

---​

decisions (open)

A1) Catch O'Neill before he goes to Crom and redeploy him to the mining planet where he can cool off without causing trouble
    A2) Don't

In regards to the new barbarian army on Crom:
    B1) Watch and wait
    B2) Open fire
    B3) Release the prisoners
    B4) Attempt to negotiate

C1) Withdraw the 13,000 in the Land of Light to the Alpha Site.
    C2) Send Colonel Makepeace to pacify the natives.
    C3) Negotiate

If you wish, you can recall Dr. Jackson from Burrock's World (where he is making progress) and attach him to one of the two negotiation options listed above.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    You see this? All they needed was more numbers. This is why we should have sent all 40k there.

Our boys made a go of it regardless, but I warned you all that splitting them was a worst of all worlds option with all of the negatives, but none of the positives.

Crom has hostages and we just screwed our relationship with Land Of Light into the dirt for nothing.

Great. Job. Team.

A1 - O'Neill is mad and I don't fancy sending him to a wintery hell where he can get even more enraged at us and make an alliance with the barbarians to take the SGC.
    B4 (Jackson) - I guess we do have their prisoners. Maybe they wish an exchange?
    C2 - What's done is done and our relationship with Land of Light is screwed. Blood has been spilled and that will not be forgiven. Time to take over the planet - which, frankly, we should have done a long time ago if we hadn't been forced to deal with all the refugee drama.

• M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag
    A1
    B4
    C2

^ Top  
  15. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    A2
    B1
    C2

^ Top  
  16. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    A1
    B4
    C2

^ Top  
  17. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD

^ Top  
  18. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    A2 - I think some time fighting Barbarians on Crom is exactly what O'neill needs. O'neill is a man of action, not a desk-jockey.

B4 - Let's talk with the Barbarians. Its about damn time these people started talking. We are talking from a position of strength, and they know that we just wasted one of their tribes like it was no thang. 13k barbarians vs soldiers with mortars, machineguns and entrechments on a fort with Stargate access? The only thing I fear is our men running out of ammunition. We got prisioners, they got prisioners, we got guns and they don't. Let's deal. Could be persuaded to change to B1 because I have no idea if they're bringing the hostages to deal or to kill them as a morale-decreasing sacrifice.

C2 - If the natives didn't like our people going in, they should have talked to us, not tried to attack them like dumbfucks. We can negotiate from a position of strength after we beat their asses, its what these primitives understand best I guess - power, strength.

The only difference if we sent more people to Land of Light, is that the revolt would have happened earlier and our guys would have done better. There would still have been a revolt. I do admit sending them to Crom was a mistake, I thought I had said to send to Mining Planet instead of Crom but I think I forgot to post it

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    I don't discount this idea either btw. It was tough for me to pick between the two options.
    Yes, and that's the point. With only 13k, they were able to make them cry out to their allies for assistance. With 40k, they would have conquered them.

Refugees welcome. :M

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Usury Arcane

Usury
    choices (open)

Send Major O'Neill to the mining world to cool off. Send Colonel Makepeace to pacify the Land of Light. Negotiate with the barbarians on Crom.

I'll be disappearing for a fortnight, but might have a chance to squeeze in an updatin' before then.

Day 63

In the land of light, Colonel Makepeace slaughtered numerous bands of warriors. He made a point of leaving one survivor to spread terror. The campaign appeared to be going well but with only a few days having passed, the conclusion was not certain.

The barbarian army outside Fort Crom was very willing to talk. Jackson had gathered some small understanding of their language but not enough to learn what they wanted.

The Alpha Site had begun to thrive.

---​

Chaplain Smith-Young passed through the stargate, down the metal ramp into the heart of the SGC. Walter logged him into the registry. The officer was not expected but that was not enough reason to wake Wellesy. After the cursory medical check up, the chaplain slipped into the hall behind the infirmary, swiped another man's keycard and found himself in a storage closet. He sawed through a cardboard container with a box-cutter and stuffed his pockets with opiates.

This was going easier than expected.

---​

"The hell you think you can get away with this on my base?" Wellesy asked. "What're you trying to pull on me, captain?"

They were alone in the general's office. The chaplain shrugged. One of the medical staff--a teenage girl--had snuck after him and observed his looting of the storage closet. It was not as though it would hurt anybody. The SGC had a preposterous amount of medicine stashed. It would run out of food years before it ran out of medical supplies. A logistical glitch from the final panicked days before the Goa'uld attacked.

"Not pulling anything on you, sir." Said Smith-Young. "I'm angling to set myself up as a kingpin druglord on the Alpha Site."

The General said nothing. Not once in his entire career had he encountered a subordinate or a superior who so blithely admitted to wrongdoing. The chaplain took the opportunity to continue.

"Look at the mass-murderers of history: Bokassa, Pol Pot, Genghis Khan. We think they're pretty awful but, if you asked them, they'd say they're not such bad guys. Me? I fully admit to being a slimeball bastard, but I'm ok with being your bastard, sir. Think about it, you could have a connection to the crime-lord on the Alpha Site. I heard about Camille Wray's mutiny. Something about human rights, wasn't it? Think how useful it would be to have a discrete way of dealing with that sort of thing. Also, you gotta remember that Rush is only out for himself. One hundred percent chance he wants to be dictator of the Alpha Site."

Day 64

Wellesy was going over logistics at his desk when someone knocked on the door.

"Enter."

Dr. Janet Fraiser enter with an envelope. "Sir, I'd like to resign my commission. I'd like to stay here but as a civilian."

"Why?"

"That's personal."

decisions (open)

A1) Brush over the Chaplain's theft.
    A2) Reduce him in rank.
    A3) Court-martial and kick him out of the military.
    A4) Reassign him to the mining planet.

B1) Allow Fraiser's request.
    B2) Outright deny it.
    B3) Pretend to grant it but then bog it down in 'processing.'

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    A3
    B1

^ Top  
  22. Nahel Erudite

Nahel
    A3. He can't be trusted.

B1 We can't stop it without a huge moral penalty

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    same

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)