Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age 2: A Rogue's Tale

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Joystiq had <a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/03/dragon-age-2-preview/" target="_blank">some hands-on time</a> with <strong>Dragon Age 2</strong> playing a rogue and they decided to share their impressions.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The big thing, the problem with the Rogue in <em>Origins</em> was they didn't know what role they were trying to fill," Darrah suggested. "Rogue was sort of half-warrior, half-nothing -- it had some of the same talents as the warrior: You had dual-wielding; you had archery; many of the same things the warrior did. So what we're trying to do here is make sure each of the classes has a distinct personality and purpose." I couldn't directly compare the Rogue to any of the other classes since the Rogue was the only one playable, but its strengths and weaknesses were very clear. Once I got acclimated to the dualist Rogue's abilities, it was apparent that it wasn't the tank the warrior is, but still an excellent class built around some strong melee combat abilities.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>And a bit more about the new dialogue system:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Bioware has implemented a new dialogue system akin to that of <em>Mass Effect, </em>too, with unique icons indicating the tone in which your choice will be delivered, eventually shaping your character's identity. Darrah recalled how an issue in <em>Origins</em>, where players would accidentally flirt with Zevran, stemmed from a lack of visual indication, "because the line would say something negative and Zevran would interpret that as a flirtatious line." <br /> <br /> "Just knowing approximately what the words are going to be isn't necessarily always an absolute, so we wanted you to know total information -- 'okay, this is an aggressive line,' 'this is me being humorous' and so on. So what will happen is as you choose the different tonal responses, the game will start to learn how you're playing. Some conversations will then just end with a line coming from you, and that will often be based on the tone you're choosing. If you tend to be sarcastic, you'll tend to end conversations in a more sarcastic manner. Your voice really gives us the opportunity to push you into a leadership position in the conversations, which wasn't possible in <em>Origins</em> where you weren't really a voiced character."</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Ah I see. The icons are there to let you easily avoid accidentally flirting with the party faggot. Yeah that would be awkward. Good job in thinking ahead BioWare.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100310-dragon-age-ii-preview.html">GB</a></p>

Silellak

Cipher
Darrah recalled how an issue in Origins, where players would accidentally flirt with Zevran, stemmed from a lack of visual indication, "because the line would say something negative and Zevran would interpret that as a flirtatious line."
batman-first-i-was-like.jpg

Accidentally flirting with bisexual party member: WE HAVE TO FIX THIS IN THE NEXT GAME.

Hours upon hours of filler combat: :thumbsup:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>Bioware has implemented a new dialogue system akin to that of <em>Mass Effect, </em>too, with unique icons indicating the tone in which your choice will be delivered, eventually shaping your character's identity. Darrah recalled how an issue in <em>Origins</em>, where players would accidentally flirt with Zevran, stemmed from a lack of visual indication, "because the line would say something negative and Zevran would interpret that as a flirtatious line." <br /> <br /> "Just knowing approximately what the words are going to be isn't necessarily always an absolute, so we wanted you to know total information -- 'okay, this is an aggressive line,' 'this is me being humorous' and so on. So what will happen is as you choose the different tonal responses, the game will start to learn how you're playing. Some conversations will then just end with a line coming from you, and that will often be based on the tone you're choosing. If you tend to be sarcastic, you'll tend to end conversations in a more sarcastic manner. Your voice really gives us the opportunity to push you into a leadership position in the conversations, which wasn't possible in <em>Origins</em> where you weren't really a voiced character."</p>

bricks-toy-basswood-hole-1-grid.jpg

bonescraper

In Dragon Age 3 you'll be communicating with emotes. This is like that thing Molyneaux was talking about. A true visionary indeed.

In Bioware we trust! :salute:

racofer

Thread Incliner
Darrah recalled how an issue in Origins, where players would accidentally flirt with Zevran, stemmed from a lack of visual indication, "because the line would say something negative and Zevran would interpret that as a flirtatious line."

Well, this doesn't make sense.

If you knew Zevran, you would know what sort of dialogs he would expect and what pleases him, much like with Morrigan. So all it took was knowing the characters you were talking with and since Bioware games are all about listening to lots of dialog and character interactions, complaining about that goes against everything Bioware games were, supposedly, good at.

Bioware is catering to their fan's requests. Two logical conclusions can come out of this:
  • 1)Bioware sucks at dialogs and character interactions;
    2)Bioware fans hate Bioware

The future holds much promise over at Biowaring shores.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The big thing, the problem with the Rogue in Origins was they didn't know what role they were trying to fill," Darrah suggested. "Rogue was sort of half-warrior, half-nothing -- it had some of the same talents as the warrior: You had dual-wielding; you had archery; many of the same things the warrior did.
Once I got acclimated to the dualist Rogue's abilities, it was apparent that it wasn't the tank the warrior is, but still an excellent class built around some strong melee combat abilities.
am i reading that right?
the rogue in origins was a war that couldn't tank and they fixed it by making it a war that cannot tank?
Bioware has implemented a new dialogue system akin to that of Alpha Protocol, too, with unique icons indicating the tone in which your choice will be delivered, eventually shaping your character's identity.
fixed.

Fully-voiced dialogue does nothing but hold modern RPGs back... They'd be better off having no voices and using all the money they save on improving the game.

Epsilon

Cipher
Because it's so much better to know how people are going to interpret what you say before you say it.
So now that we have a sort of a telepathic or emotional link with all npc's whats next for our godlike characters? regenerating hitpoints? oh wait... :smug:

Silellak

Cipher
SuicideBunny said:
Bioware has implemented a new dialogue system akin to that of Alpha Protocol, too, with unique icons indicating the tone in which your choice will be delivered, eventually shaping your character's identity.
fixed.
It's not like Alpha Protocol. Alpha Protocol had "moods" instead of dialog. DA2 has the ME-style short-response along with a "mood" that displays in the center of the wheel.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Bioware has implemented a new dialogue system akin to that of Alpha Protocol, too, with unique icons indicating the tone in which your choice will be delivered, eventually shaping your character's identity.
fixed."

AP basicallyu stole the basic dialogue system from ME. BIo is simply returning the favor.

Shannow

Waster of Time
SuicideBunny said:
The big thing, the problem with the Rogue in Origins was they didn't know what role they were trying to fill," Darrah suggested. "Rogue was sort of half-warrior, half-nothing -- it had some of the same talents as the warrior: You had dual-wielding; you had archery; many of the same things the warrior did.
Once I got acclimated to the dualist Rogue's abilities, it was apparent that it wasn't the tank the warrior is, but still an excellent class built around some strong melee combat abilities.
am i reading that right?
the rogue in origins was a war that couldn't tank and they fixed it by making it a war that cannot tank?
fixed.
Yep, to both.

Begriffenfeldt

Educated
Why not just pick your character's mood and sexual orientation and who you want to fuck at the beginning of the game? Then there would be no boring micromanaging of dialogue.

Miew

Novice
I managed to sneak into Bioware headquarters and take a screenshot of their latest build, showing the implementation of the emote-based dialogue:
smiliewheel.jpg

VentilatorOfDoom said:
The big thing, the problem with the Rogue in Origins was they didn't know what role they were trying to fill," Darrah suggested. "Rogue was sort of half-warrior, half-nothing -- it had some of the same talents as the warrior: You had dual-wielding; you had archery; many of the same things the warrior did. So what we're trying to do here is make sure each of the classes has a distinct personality and purpose." I couldn't directly compare the Rogue to any of the other classes since the Rogue was the only one playable, but its strengths and weaknesses were very clear. Once I got acclimated to the dualist Rogue's abilities, it was apparent that it wasn't the tank the warrior is, but still an excellent class built around some strong melee combat abilities.
So... Origins sucks balls, now, and DA2 will be the best thing evar? Are we getting near the release date or something?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Silellak said:
Accidentally flirting with bisexual party member: WE HAVE TO FIX THIS IN THE NEXT GAME.

Hours upon hours of filler combat: :thumbsup:

This. That's some seriously fucked up priorities there, Bio.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Multiple Sarcasm said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
The big thing, the problem with the Rogue in Origins was they didn't know what role they were trying to fill," Darrah suggested. "Rogue was sort of half-warrior, half-nothing -- it had some of the same talents as the warrior: You had dual-wielding; you had archery; many of the same things the warrior did. So what we're trying to do here is make sure each of the classes has a distinct personality and purpose." I couldn't directly compare the Rogue to any of the other classes since the Rogue was the only one playable, but its strengths and weaknesses were very clear. Once I got acclimated to the dualist Rogue's abilities, it was apparent that it wasn't the tank the warrior is, but still an excellent class built around some strong melee combat abilities.
So... Origins sucks balls, now, and DA2 will be the best thing evar? Are we getting near the release date or something?
it seems bio learns from Molyneux's advertising style: "the previous game was quite bad, but this'll be the most awesome~!!", "disregard that, that one wasn't what we'd hoped for, but its sequel will be the BEST EVER!!!11"

way to go, bioware. :thumbsup:

Phelot

Arcane
:lol: at that pic

Also, :lol: at there suddenly being flaws in DA:O after it was declared perfect... apparently none of the reviewers noticed them, but the devs do (which they mention only when talking about how much more perfect the sequel will be)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
phelot said:
Also, :lol: at there suddenly being flaws in DA:O after it was declared perfect... apparently none of the reviewers noticed them, but the devs do (which they mention only when talking about how much more perfect the sequel will be)
Eh, it's ME2 all over again (ME1 is 10/10 perfect; a few months later, all we hear about is how ME2 is fixing all those horrible flaws of ME1!), which was Fallout 3 all over again anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom