Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial Dragon Age 2 is Declining RPGs

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Jason, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Time spent with the recent <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=56167" target="_blank">Dragon Age II demo</a> led Hooked Gamers to lament <a href="http://www.hookedgamers.com/editorials/2011/03/02/dragon_age_ii_the_decline_of_the_classic_rpg.html" target="_blank">The Decline of the Classic RPG</a>.</p>
    <blockquote>What we see in Dragon Age 2 is a distinct loss of the necessity to plan attacks, you really can play it as an action-RPG. The demo made this immediately evident when we tried to adopt the pause-play style &ndash; it was just not practical. The reason for this is because combat is paced much faster and the only really viable way to play the game is to button mash. Any tactics like using the right spell at the right time are made obsolete due to the lack of friendly fire (apart from Nightmare mode) and spells that recharge almost in the blink of an eye. Don&rsquo;t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with button mashing, I actually enjoy it, but this is simply not what I want from Dragon Age!</blockquote>
    <p>You're playing the role of a button masher etc.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p><em>Thanks to Jaesun once again</em></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

^ Top  
  2. RainSong Scholar

RainSong
    this article... this comments... we are not alone :salute:

aslo, copy pasted from their comment which copy pasted from Brent Knowles (lead designer of Dragon Age Origins(?) who resigned because he did not like the direction they were going with DA2) blog:

:incline:

^ Top  
  3. CrunchyHemorrhoids Liturgist

CrunchyHemorrhoids
    Did he quit the games industry? I thought they were too cowardly to ever badmouth anyone in the biz.

As far as the set-in-stone protagonist goes DA2's even worse than ME as Shepard's background is relatively a blank slate, Commander Hawke on the other hand actually has his family tag along for the adventure.

How did we go from the parents killed by orcs/amnesiac syndrome to this? Did some study show that casual gamers prefer being spectators on a pre-defined character's ride?

^ Top  
  4. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    JRPGs?

^ Top  
  5. Fallin' daggers Novice

Fallin' daggers
    well I'm glad someone said something, I bet on that god awful social network of theirs Biodrones are calling him a trollfor hating on their game. No honestly that's why they do, someone dislikes an element of DA2 he is a troll. Go on, go there, say something, I dare you.
    :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  6. FaChoi Educated

FaChoi
    Spells obsolete makes most abilities obsolete, aside from the passive +30 to attack stuff.

The abilities are mosty useless as well, was a struggle at times to pick something worthwhile every level and in many cases i just didn't bother and waited for another level up to decide.

The stats are pretty much obsolete as well then;
    IF warrior THEN strength and constitution, rouge- dexterity and cunnning, mage- mage stuff.

Why even give me the choice? So I can pretend it's an RPG?

^ Top  
  7. Vulee Novice

Vulee
    The article is shit.

:x

For someone claiming that KOTOR is a "classic cRPG", this is pretty hypocritical. :M
    I couldn't bear to read two more pages.

We need smarter people to battle the :decline: .

^ Top  
  8. Yeesh Magister

Yeesh
    One thing the article makes me wonder about is what the author's reaction would be to the release of the exact same game EXCEPT with a different title and marketed as an ARPG (in straight real time without the underwhelming "pause-play" mode). A lot of what's written is about the difference between expectations and results, which is very alien to us, isn't it? Since it is mantra here that Bioware only makes crap. Hard to fathom such disappointment.

^ Top  
  9. Vibalist Arcane

Vibalist
    Well, he calls Kotor a good game and Bioware the last bastion of real RPG's (up until now), so I can't wholly agree with him, but he's certainly spot on in his assessment of the RPG genre being turned into a shooter with light stats, and for that he deserves some credit. What other mainstream gaming site would even touch on this issue? Hookedgamers earn a :salute: from me, even if half the people here probably consider them popamole and shit.

^ Top  
  10. SlowLane Novice

SlowLane
    Sounds perfect, you can role play someone playing a RPG making the game a RPRPG...
    Acronym looks awkward maybe RrPG would be better, not to be confused with ArrrrrRPG which is a game where you can play with pirates, RisenII for example.

Extreme !
    Awesome !

BoiWare! Puts the EA in RPG!

(I'll leave it to the reader to actually put EA into RPG.
    Had to get that joke out of my head, it's been bugging me for days)

^ Top  
  11. Dantus12 Educated

Dantus12
    Interesting article.

The Brent Knowles thing, is a old information. A man that refused to sacrifice His professional integrity, for the "benefit" of being part of the big casual group.

There is more to this actually , there are not many battles left one of them being Bioware vs Blizzard, and the second one that breaks on the backs of the "smaller," participants EA vs Activision.

It's not just Brent Knowles that left, one can try to claim that they left for the better professional opportunity, but that's somehow moot when dropping the name Bioware.

Kevin Martens, like Knowles leaves after being DAO's Senior Design Consultant IIRC, and joins Blizzard.
    He's now with Troika's Leo Boyarsky on Diablo 3.

Dan Tudge leaves for a Disney job knowing that Disney is on a dying bed commercially, again after DAO's finished development, Director and Producer .

EA takes over full publishing rights over SWTOR leaving Lucas arts with minor development tidbits.

And then Gordon Walton leaves SWTORr together with two other leaders of the EA "casual" branch.

Looks like the :decline: of peoples favored genres has something to do with it.
    Better go for a Farmville or Bigpoint like place, at least one knows what He's working at, then pretend that Your work has anything related to the path defining and trend setting things that once upon a time existed , at least on the paper.

^ Top  
  12. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    Well... at least it tells you how much EAware's excrements have declined. Not even xboxers like that aren't recognizing them as RPGs anymore.

^ Top  
  13. Overweight Manatee Scholar

Overweight Manatee
    Except that its just as bad if not worse by ARPG standards. Bioware cannot into good combat.

^ Top  
  14. DoomIhlVaria Cipher Patron

DoomIhlVaria
    rpgsus, rpgsi, rpgso, rpgsum, rpgso, (rpgse) / rpgsi, rpgsorum, rpgsis, rpgsos, rpgsis
    or
    rpgsr, rpgs, rpgsi, rpgss / rpgsar, rpgsa, rpgsum, rpgsa?

^ Top  
  15. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Maybe, but if it's shit does it matter how much it smells? It's still shit and not worth playing either way.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This.

If Bioware wouldn't be a greedy fuck, they would make a normal cRPG. Possibly it wouldn't sell as good as this shitty DA2, but it would sell enough to make lots of money. But no, Bioware is not satisfied with 2 milion copies, they want 3 million. Other developers would kill even for 1 million, but the guys at Bioware need a new yakuzzi.

^ Top  
  17. Rogue Educated

Rogue
    I don't think that DA2 will sell good at all.

^ Top  
  18. RPGMaster Savant

RPGMaster
    10 million actually. http://social.bioware.com/=http:/social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/3267335/1 :smug:

^ Top  
  19. Ogg Prophet Patron

Ogg
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    You can play the role of a man who plays an RPG. Ain't that awesome?

^ Top  
  20. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    BIOWARE IS MAKING TWILIGHT GAMES FOR MEN

^ Top  
  21. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Somewhat relevant:
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  22. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    now make the dwarf one

^ Top  
  23. Overweight Manatee Scholar

Overweight Manatee
    They can't help it since they became EA's lapdog. Its impossible to go to work every day doing something you don't believe in. Either you quit or you have to convince yourself that being a greedy cockmongler all along was what it was about.

^ Top  
  24. RPGMaster Savant

RPGMaster
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  25. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    It's still poor even as an ARPG. But at least it wouldn't be lying about the genre.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)