Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Dragon Age II Has the Best Writing since PS:T

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Mar 18, 2011.

1. circ Arcane

circ
    Re: Dragon Age II Is Better than PS:T

SPOILERS AHEAD DOUCHEFAG

Except it pretty much is. Here's the simplified story: You're an ex-nobleman refugee, now on skid row. But no worries, soon you're nobleman-ish again. How you could possibly live a nobleman's life in Lothering I don't get, because it was a shithole, not unlike Kirkwall. Anyway, along the way you do a few dozen missions, that all play out the same in pretty much the same 3 dungeons. Only some exits are blocked off at 'random' and you sometimes enter through another entrance. Inventive. There are no consequences for anything. No, not really. Some missions are just there to influence your retarded groupmates. If that's your idea of consequence, then ok.

In between ex-noble and noble, you go by the Deep Roads to get money. Funnily enough, that moniez is just enough to cover your investment. This segment contains the only passable and coherent writing in the entire game. And then there's a betrayal.

Later, back on the surface... Seems some Qunari are camping in Kirkwall, your new hometown. Qunari now have horns and a different skintone. Before they were just big humans. I guess it's like old Klingons and new Klingons. Except Star Trek writers understand the difference between writing and eating twenty servings of jello. Now, Qunari are big on combat, so just sitting around, doing jack shit eventually boils over and they attack Kirkwall. Because they were bored. Yeah, pretty much. Because Gaider can't write.

But, because you're the hero-that-saves-us-all, you kick some Qunari ass. But oh shit, the Qunari killed the viscount, so now there's no one to mitigate the templar vs. mage shitstorm.

O shit.

Oh, in between bored Qunari attacking and something, your mom gets murdered. Or zombified. Whatever. It has no purpose in the story. Or so you think at first. This was after all a Toupee Gaider story, partially. No, you can't save your mother, whom you barely know. She has about three repeating conversation snippets, and very few cutscenes where she either cries or whines, usually both. That's mom. See, initially, during play testing, you could save your mother. But that was bad. Your mom is just there as a story motivator, so you think about who to side with when the real shit hits the fan; templars or mages. And your mom was killed by a mage. A deranged, psychotic mage, but a mage none the less. Wow, choices. Do I side with the batshit crazy, badly written, obviously hypocritical templars, or the mages that had nothing to do with my mom dying? Consequently, the templars are led by the queen of batshit crazy, and the primary antagonist. But mages killed your mother! Except, they didn't. That's first class writing if I've ever seen any.

Oh also, main antagonist went insane because of your earlier Deep Roads adventure. But it's not important, as there is no way to influence anything other than your groupmates whatever your class or playstyle. And influencing groupmates doesn't matter at all. Some might leave you if you're not their buddy, but yeah, doesn't matter.

Yeah, you're not the hero at all. You're just the Champion, because you saved the city from a bored Qunari, and who else to save the world, or Kirkwall. I say bored, but the Qunari badguy is a complex character. Well except he really isn't. He's just bored.

What politics? I saw no politics, just bad writing. The kind of writing that gets you an F in special ed class.

Smaller stakes? Don't you mean 3 repetitive dungeons? Consequences are personal? Did we play the same game?

Dude! Pick whatever gets you laid the fastest with whatever groupmate you're hot for!

I'd call a BioWare game something other than shit, if there was a shit scale, but why bother. Shit is shit, man.

^ Top  
  2. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    The best writing since PS:T comes from Avellone himself, Alpha Protocol.

DA2 had above average Biowarian quality, sometimes even strong, definitely better than Origins.

^ Top  
  3. Hamster Arcane Patron

Hamster
    Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    Fixed. :smug:

^ Top  
  4. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    " There are no consequences for anything."

FFS This is just a flat out lie. Why lie?

"they attack Kirkwall. Because they were bored."

More lies. L0LZ

^ Top  
  5. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    You should've read my review circ.

^ Top  
  6. circ Arcane

circ
    What's the link for the review?

There are no consequences Volly. You side with one faction and that's it. There's your consequence, who backs you up. Unless you meant cookie cutter kindergarten consequences like handing Isabel over to the Arishok or shit like that. Because hey, that's some supremo storytelling right there.

Did you talk to the Arishok? Ask him about his motivations? Notice how he says 'U R 2 DUMB 2 UNDASTAND LOL'. Just like Reapers in Mass Extreme. Shitty writers come up with some pretty shitty excuses.

^ Top  
  7. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Disagreed on technicality:
    Anachronox is not an RPG.
    :smug:

^ Top  
  8. IronicNeurotic Arbiter

IronicNeurotic
    fixed.

Actually, the best charachter writing is more true to it. I freaking loved the Dead Money charachters. There were only four, but every one of them had different personalitys, mannerisms (incredible distinct, beautiful mannerisms)..... It was just .... love.

^ Top  
  9. youhomofo Augur

youhomofo
    I disagree. For you Dwarf Fortress has better writing, bitch.

^ Top  
  10. shihonage You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Re: Dragon Age II Is Better than PS:T

:salute:

^ Top  
  11. DriacKin Arbiter

DriacKin
    It's just as much of an RPG than either Torment or DA2.

^ Top  
  12. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    His motivation was pretty clear from the original: he was the guy who kicked out the orlesians and Cailan was bringing them back in.

What I hated about loghain is that they made him look and talk like the worst stereotypical villain anyone could've come up with. They couldn't have done a better job at being less subtle even if they had called him Mr Evil.

^ Top  
  13. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    This isn't true. I agree with Volourn.

^ Top  
  14. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    Well true but it just shows a bit of lack of direction.

In DA:O we fight the "end all" Boss of the place, a Archdemon and in DA:II we fight a insane-by-artifact Templar Knight-Commander that is a lot less that a Archdemon.

If anything DA:O had a idea that pretty much ended with it because it could run off in several directions (starting with Morrigan's Child) and so a continuation was unlikely were DA2 reeks of "to be continued" and have a very distinct feeling from DA:O, even with all the changes ME2 still felt like being ME.

Now personalty I am tired of "EPIC!!!" like in DA:O and prefer more "local" threats like DA2 but still there is a timing and this feels more like a "reboot" that a sequel.

^ Top  
  15. circ Arcane

circ
    I don't think it was just his motivation people had issue with. It was the fact that he, supposedly a supreme strategist, decides to leave his king in the shit against darkspawn, darkspawn that end up fucking up half of his own country. That's not strategy, that's fucking retarded. He's more worried about Orlesians, except those guys don't even make a cameo. And in the end, that's retarded, bad writing.

Gaider, Kirby, Hepler and whatever, simply can't write. I doubt they could write a cook book. They equate badly written double entendres with funny as shit, prostitution being equal to a cleaning lady and STD's as fucking hilarious. To give a few examples. I haven't read any fanfic, but I bet in most of the cases, the fanfic is universally more professional than what these bottom of the hackest hacks type out.

^ Top  
  16. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    hate it or like it, DA2 is very much a sequel. DA2 doesn't really work without DA1. there's too many tie in both story/character wise, background wise, and gameplay wise.

^ Top  
  17. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    No.

The only thing that DA:O does is the Blight that serves as a catalysis for them to go to Kirkwall as the rest is just background information that does not really plays out much, even ME2 had bigger "deal breakers" with importing saves.

Its not terrible hard to remove the DA:O bits as its just flavor that can be reworked since Kirkwall is too removed from Ferelden to any impact to actually exist, we do get some DA:O bits but if you gone into the game without playing the first you will not be lost at all, in fact they might as well make "Origins" were instead of Human Hawke we could play other races since the story only "hinders" on Hawke because they forced a story-family-connection, as if a Elf or a Dwarf would not have reasons to join The Deep Roads Expedition.

^ Top  
  18. circ Arcane

circ
    Right. The only thing tying in DA 2 with DA: O are a few cameos, including, Flemeth, Alistair, Zevran, and a full blown NPC, Isabela, who wasn't fleshed out in the first one anyway.

^ Top  
  19. Arcanoix Scholar

Arcanoix
    You obviously haven't played the game, retard. Or you have an earlier, probably better, build of it. Care sharing?

^ Top  
  20. Arcanoix Scholar

Arcanoix
    Apparently if they release 50 Day One DLC's, that should motivate you to buy the game because 25 of those DLC's will be FREE if you register the game the first week of it's release... :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  21. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "The only thing that DA:O does is the Blight that serves as a catalysis for them to go to Kirkwall as the rest is just background information that does not really plays out much, even ME2 had bigger "deal breakers" with importing saves.

Its not terrible hard to remove the DA:O bits as its just flavor that can be reworked since Kirkwall is too removed from Ferelden to any impact to actually exist, we do get some DA:O bits but if you gone into the game without playing the first you will not be lost at all, in fact they might as well make "Origins" were instead of Human Hawke we could play other races since the story only "hinders" on Hawke because they forced a story-family-connection, as if a Elf or a Dwarf would not have reasons to join The Deep Roads Expedition."

Bullshit. There are so many tie ins to DA1. So fukkin' many. The Fade, the tons of cameos, returnable joinable, , templar-mage battle, and tons of other shit. the game has more ties in to D1 than BG2 did with BG1 where the only real connection to the game was the PC and a handful of companions.

Gamepklay wise it's basically the same system. Same three classes, talent trees, specialziations, runes, equipment slots, how inventory works, how stats effect combat, coin system.

Sorry, DA2 is DA2 and only a retart can miss it. LMAO

^ Top  
  22. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The fade and the templar-mage battle is not a tie in, those are just part of the same lore. It's like saying that there are many tie ins in BG2 for Icewind Dale, just because you can find the same gods in both games. The only real tie ins in DA2 are the returning characters, and a few references to earlier events. That's all. There are no events in DAO that have major effect in DA2.

^ Top  
  23. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    That's true for BG2 to BG1.

Or FO2 to FO1.

LMAO

^ Top  
  24. attackfighter Magister

attackfighter
    Actually Cailan agreed not to bring in the Orlesian reinforcments.

^ Top  
  25. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I myself never said otherwise. DA and BG are not different in this regard.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)