Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age II Preview

Codexlurker

Savant
Hegel said:
Am I the only pure blood codexer left?
I still haven't played: DA, any Mass Effect title, FO3, NV, Alpha brotocol.
So fresh, so clean clean.

Nope. I haven't played any of them neither.

visions

Arcane
Same here. Will maybe pick New Vegas up sometime this or next year, if I don't have anything better to do.

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
On the ME falling - I consider it a shooter with a decent story with very very light rpg elements. Its a decent enough game - for what it is. And it is not an RPG.

As for Dragon Age 2 - this is looking like it could be the flop of the decade with the way its coming out.

At this point I'm expecting Oblivion vs DA2 discussion as to which is worst as all the previews are looking so horrid. Seriously - DA 2 is putting out some of the worst publicity I have seen from a video game ever.

All in all - we're not the target audience I'm sure. Actually I think they want to target us away from the game.

Either that or DA 2 is a massive troll on the world.

Which... might be possible. If so - I will applaud bioware's laughter at the worlds stupidity.

Coboney

Scholar
Sheek - I advise you don't. It isn't worth the time to finish or get through. DAO is a harken to DMs who love random encounters and make their players want to strangle them. The game around it isn't good enough to save the long, tedious combat that hits you constantly for no reason and rarely makes sense in location.

sheek

Arbiter
Well I think I only have another 10 hours. I stopped last summer and I was at the last 'level' - completed the four quests, now was the big meeting of the realm in Dermhold or whatever it's called.

Coboney

Scholar
sheek said:
Well I think I only have another 10 hours. I stopped last summer and I was at the last 'level' - completed the four quests, now was the big meeting of the realm in Dermhold or whatever it's called.
And then you get to spend some useless time in a long, drawn out boss battle against darkspawn that's supposed to feel epic or such. But... well... it feels like 5 battles that you already did 30 times over only with more numbers on both sides. Not that I was tired of the game at that point at all you understand.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"All in all - we're not the target audience I'm sure."

Codex is very much BIO's target audience. Stupid morans who will buy/play/steal anything even remotely resembling rpgish style of gaming.

"On the ME falling - I consider it a shooter with a decent story with very very light rpg elements. Its a decent enough game - for what it is. And it is not an RPG."

Action RPG

"As for Dragon Age 2 - this is looking like it could be the flop of the decade with the way its coming out.

At this point I'm expecting Oblivion vs DA2 discussion as to which is worst as all the previews are looking so horrid. Seriously - DA 2 is putting out some of the worst publicity I have seen from a video game ever. "

LMFAO That's what morons here and elsewhere claimed for DA1, and we know how that turned out despite the Codex turning on it quickly. DA, along with ME2, are BIO's most successful games ever.

R00fles!

Flop L0L0L0L0L0LLIP0P

Coboney

Scholar
Its alright Volourn. I'm sure you'll be fine. Now once your done your childish display you can sit up and act responsible for a moment or two.

Bioware changed its target audience to get *better* sales. That means they move their games a bit at a time to that audience more and more. Thats why it didn't change suddnely. By doing the changes slowly you retain most of your old fan base and gain more and more.

Realistically the types of games that i like most aren't coming often nowadays. Its happened as the games market on the whole changed. Back in the 90s and early 2000s the term Casual Gamer wasn't really used - PC games were much more a niche market on the whole and so they tended to be aimed at niches of niches. Thats the games a lot of us love.

As the market expanded and expanded the niches grew larger and people fell out of the subniches more and more to do general games to capture the largest market - the casual gamer market. The groups that play a few hours on the 360, Wii, FAcebook or computer games a week and pay full price guaranteed for limited effort. These are the people the companies want to get and are also in a lot of ways the hardest to understand which is why BioWare does their info gathering things because they need that info. They are a silent majority that dictates the games that are released.

This? Codex is a vocal tiny minority. Very vocal. Really if the game designers (*cough Bethesda*) had a bit of a tough skin they would probably just ignore it or hear a few things and move on. Game designers though (Developers are a bit different) tend to be an artsy and emotional bunch. So... ya.

so tl;dr: Casual Gaming is vogue and comapnies want to target it changing the games market.

circ

Arcane
Volourn said:
"On the ME falling - I consider it a shooter with a decent story with very very light rpg elements. Its a decent enough game - for what it is. And it is not an RPG."

Action RPG
Please stop this inane shit. Duke Nuke 'Em 3D. Duke runs around spouting one liners, grabbing ammo and armor and weapon upgrades. Action RPG.

Mass Effect is a bad shooter with an inventory system, stats that do nothing special and a conversation system that has no impact and does nothing more than serve as a platform to advance a banal and bad story.

Get it through your head princess, BioWare have not released an RPG since Neverwinter Nights. Dragon Age? See Mass Effect.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Retarts are retart so keep up the retarting as you only make the Codex look even more retarted.

Convo system that has no impact? WTF? Did you even play the fuckin' game?

I bet to you BG is a 'real' RPG. Talk about convos that have no impact. LMFAO

P.S. The Codex is a target audience but let's face it the Codex are amongst the dumbest audience ever - the ahrdcore - those who will buy anyting remotely connected to their love even if they it's 'shit'.

Hence the % of Codexers who bought, played, and enjoyed DA wehtehr theya dmit it or not is higher than the general populace.

Remmeber, DA sold 3M+ copies on a planet of nearly 10billion people. The Codex has less than 10k Codexers (not counting one timers or low count punks), and I bet a bunch of those bought/played DA.

So.. whoa re the dumbfucks now?

Codexers. 'Nough said.

Gosling

Liturgist
BLOBERT and Volourn spitting wisdom and telling it like it is on the 'dex. 4chan GD kids too blind to see the truth.

Volourn said:
The truth will set you free but you cannot handle the truth so the truth shall remain hidden until you are ready for the truth then the truth will be revealed that is the truth to end all truths.

Repent.

Hegel

Arcane
How many years? 6? 7? And still there are people trying to argue with her. :love:

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
circ said:
Mass Effect is a bad shooter with an inventory system, stats that do nothing special and a conversation system that has no impact and does nothing more than serve as a platform to advance a banal and bad story.

Get it through your head princess, BioWare have not released an RPG since Neverwinter Nights. Dragon Age? See Mass Effect.

Agree about ME, but come on DA might not have been a great RPG but it's definately an RPG.

Gosling said:
BLOBERT and Volourn spitting wisdom and telling it like it is on the 'dex. 4chan GD kids too blind to see the truth.

Hey, don't lump BLOBERT in with Volly - BLOBERT's a fucking genius.

To be fair, Volly can't help being an inbred hillbilly - you can't choose your parents.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"To be fair, Volly can't help being an inbred hillbilly - you can't choose your parents"

But we can choose are mates. Say hi to your mum for me, son!

Please don't be so bitter about me not showing you any love when you were growing up.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Hegel said:
Am I the only pure blood codexer left?
I still haven't played: DA, any Mass Effect title, FO3, NV, Alpha brotocol.
So fresh, so clean clean.

I played some Fo3, tried to find a game in it, was disappointing and disgusted with myself for playing it as much as I did. Trialed NV, got outside the docs office, shot up some random people, then uninstalled as it appeared to be more of the same. The others, I have not played. I carry the taint of Bethesduh though, ill go sit in a corner.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The fuck is with this Naysaying volly..

You dont give in into your weaknesses you just get more stubber, bomb some people, set fire to their offices but NEVER GIVE UP YOUR IDEALS!

We Will be here...and we will RAGE!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom