Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Dragon Age II Shorter And More Cinematic

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "Well, AI using inventory items is pretty much the norm in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Derp Scrolls: Oblivious.
    Yes, fucking oblivious of all games. "

If so, goof them but since I tend to quit out of ES games ASAP, I proabbly didn't notice. L0L

"They use them on themselves quite a bit actually. STOP THE LIES!"

nO.

^ Top  
  2. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    You have a point in that it's not very common in CRPGs and DAO is certainly not unique in that matter.
    But there are examples. NWN2: enemy mages actually using the wands you can later loot off their corpses? Check. ToEE: bugbears using the healing potions they carry? Check. Bugbears buffing themselves with bulls strength potions? Check. YOu only get to loot this stuff if you kill them before they used their shit. BG2: enemy mages carrying some oracle scrolls and using them if you go invisible? Check. Rogues using an invis potion and then buffing themselves with strength, haste potions etc before trying to backstab you? Check. Don't remember how it was in NWN. But former DnD CRPGs did it all the time especially IE games.

And I think you will remember that the AI in BG2 for instance never refrained from using the most powerful spells on you either?

^ Top  
  3. Befuddled Halfling Educated

Befuddled Halfling
    Well, I'm a newfag here and I see loads of DAO threads from some time before the napoleonic wars, one over 80 pages long. Whenever I post anything positive about DA:O combat someone generally tries to rip me a new asshole, and no-one seems keen to counter - hence the generalization. I'm just working now with the DAO toolkit, and reckon that has a lot of potential too. Trumpted only by NWN, ie another work of Brent Knowles.

But if there are guys here who appreciate that DA:O encounters had their merits, and could easily be improved, I'm cool with that.

Its just that I played Sacred 2 last month... so my definition of "shitty filler combat against trash mobs" has a *whole* new dimension. Just clumps of random wondering Ghouls who even level-scale in mid combat with you... So I tried getting into the plot of Sacred 2, but came to the conclusion that it must have been patched out by mistake, when fixing the beta I was sold.

^ Top  
  4. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    " But former DnD CRPGs did it all the time especially IE games. "

Not all the time. It was a rare scripted occurance.

^ Top  
  5. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    I never said it was shit. What I mean to say is it lacks options and most importantly: challenge. It's too repetitive, too easy and just not very interesting and coincidentally there's never any sense of reward. Never something like, wow those fuckers kept killing my party for hours but finally I prevailed! It's just something you wade through with your eyes closed because you have to.

You're quite the optimist.

I'm pretty sure Laidlaw will find excuses to follow his inane *if you press a button something awesome happens* design philosophy regardless of what we say.

Wishful thinking. EA Edmonton has a goal. And it has nothing to do with pushing the RPG genre forward or even just creating proper oldschool RPGs.

^ Top  
  6. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Except it wasn't that rare and most importantly it wasn't scripted. Using equipment was part of the AI.

^ Top  
  7. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    No.

^ Top  
  8. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Yes.

^ Top  
  9. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    r00fles!

^ Top  
  10. waywardOne Cipher

waywardOne
    retarded people think algebra is challenging.

^ Top  
  11. Bigot_ Novice

Bigot_
    I really don't see how you "can't call it shit."

If a game has a template that you can use to just aaa through most encounters, then the combat is too easy, too boring, too repetitive, or a combination of the three.

If a game has five templates, all of which you can use to just aaa through most encounters, that isn't better than the above option.

And yes I did play on the hardest difficulty. In most games right now, DA:O included, easy means "waste of time", normal means "easy", hard means "normal" and "insert eXtreme difficulty here" means occasionally challenging. When you post here just assume literally everyone you talk to played whatever on the highest difficulty, you won't be far off.

Ok, I don't mean to be an ass (or maybe I do, I'm posting on codex), but you need to stop spouting this shit. Your view doesn't mean jack squat until you back it up with something. It doesn't have to be an essay or a film documentary, but if all you have is literally "i think its good" + some nice sounding adjectives taped to the end, it's really fucking hard to take you seriously.

The fact that you, personally, found DA:O difficult and complex while a ton of people playing on the same difficulty here found it boring and repetitive should point to the conclusion that you have lower standards in terms of difficulty, not that everyone is blind to the radiance that is dragon age.

DA:O isn't completely unbearable for some people, but for a lot of people here it's boring, sometimes to the point where it's more of a chore than anything, and mediocre as shit considering what most people here want out of a game (if you fucking ask me what people here want out of a game I'm going to slap you).

^ Top  
  12. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    How can you find 90% of encounters to have something new, interesting and challenging? Are you braindead? Or haven't you actually played any decent RPGs? Pool of Radiance from 1988 trumps DAO's combat.

^ Top  
  13. Bigot_ Novice

Bigot_
    "new, interesting and challenging" now means "reskinned, renamed, and slightly buffed", get with the times

^ Top  
  14. Barrow_Bug Cipher

Barrow_Bug
    Hey Guys, I'm looking for Dragon Age 2 threads. Have you seen any?

^ Top  
  15. circ Arcane

circ
    Hahaha WHAT? How? That's like dying to a 1hp kobold with a full party in some newbie dungeon in some random RPG.

^ Top  
  16. Barrow_Bug Cipher

Barrow_Bug
    Stop fucking around, the search option is being buggy and I really want to see how the Codex feel about DA2.

Jesus, I'm asking for a little help here and all you guys do it fuck around.

^ Top  
  17. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Game sucks. Best RPG of the year.

^ Top  
  18. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    Horrible creatures. I avoid them whenever I can.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)