Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They're still trying to salvage this franchise, huh? How adorable.
Of course they are.

If DA3 flops as bad as BiowarEA's three previous games did, it would most likely be their last game.
Didn't ME3 do really well?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It may be Bioware's most commercially successful game ever, but it was not a huge seller by EA standards. It also caused mass controversy that hurt the value of the IP.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It may be Bioware's most commercially successful game ever, but it was not a huge seller by EA standards. It also caused mass controversy that hurt the value of the IP.
Yeah, the ME series has "ended" and left a bad taste on the players, while DA2 was bashed to the ground and SW:TOR has sunk to the dephts... they are burning all their IP value...

Stinger

Arcane
Dragon Age Origins sold 3.5 million from what I remember.

Did ME3 really exceed that? I remember seeing sales figures at the time of launch suggesting it was at 2 mill and on a decline.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
This thread just reminds me how little they actually spent on the second game. Reusing dungeons. No companion customization. Railroaded characters/storyline. No visual difference between armours. Wtf did they actually do in the second game development time?

Emily

Arcane
This thread just reminds me how little they actually spent on the second game. Reusing dungeons. No companion customization. Railroaded characters/storyline. No visual difference between armours. Wtf did they actually do in the second game development time?
i am guessing most of the budget went on marketing. I remember the hype and buzz generated were huge.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
it's gonna be the best game ever since DA2

badcagetys1d.gif

I want to believe!

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity

Did they not have something like 12-14 months of development time? So I guess their budget wasnt so big.

Allthough I hated DA2 I still have some hope for DA3. I really enjoyed DA:O, offourse the game had a lot of flaws but at least the game was a step in the right direction again. So I'm hoping the complete failure of DA:O will inspire EA and Bioware to return to DA:O and improve on that concept. So refine/improve the character progression and class system, improve combat encounters (less filler combat) and combine your AAA graphics budget with an actual amazing art direction.

The thing is there is only one rpg developer in the world that has the budget to make a huge, complex and tactical rpg and combine that with AAA graphics and voice acting. While indie rpgs are nice and all, I still hope to someday get a game that combines the innovation and complexity of some indie rpgs with great graphics, art direction and production values. Unfortunately Bioware is so far the only company that actually has the experience and money to achieve this.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
great graphics, art direction and production values.
Which one of modern AAA+++++++ crpgs has at least one of those?

Commander Xbox

Learned
Did ME3 really exceed that? I remember seeing sales figures at the time of launch suggesting it was at 2 mill and on a decline.

This is the latest news I can find on ME3 sales: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-05-07-mass-effect-3-sales-pass-USD200-million-at-retail

200 million / 60 bucks per copy = over 3 million. And with discounts it's probably more than that.

mass effect 3 would have had a much larger budget than origins and the previous mass effects though, which negates the money they got from the extra sales it got. its not like they blizted company sales records with it either, both me1 and me2 both sold over 3 mill

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Voice acting and creating AWESOME combat animations.
The funny thing is that only Hawke and the party get AWESOME EXXTREME combat animations. The mooks and NPCs re-use the Origins combat animations.

:thumbsup:

That makes perfect sense, can't allow them to be more AWESOME than the player

I think it might be symbolic. The AWESOME animation characters slaughter the characters abiding by less insane fighting and by extension the rules of the old games, by the thousands. It's like Bioware is killing off the old game over and over.

It must be pretty pathetic dying that way, being a mercenary slowly swinging your sword at some tool in patchwork armor who proceeds to kick a flask of poison at you and do ninja flips over you before stabbing you in the back.

Ermm

Erudite
Few of the Biowhore fans who liked this game, basically were eating disgusting leftovers.

Ship has already sunk, Bioware. I mean, with games likes WL2, Shadowrun etc. coming out in the near future, who is going to even care about Banal Age 3 (possibly an leftover eaters)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom