Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by Morgoth, Aug 20, 2012.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Manaclash drains as much HP as it drained mana. If a mage has more mana than HP he dies, otherwise he merely loses an amount of HP equal to his manapool. Either way, the astute reader would have noticed I was refering to rogues/warriors and said I was unsure about mages.

A very high-dex rogue is very nearly impossible to hit, right, but he still has no defense against crushing prison or the fact he will fucking die if the dragon grabs him. Hard to understand? You can convince me though, make a youtube video with your rogue soloing the high dragon on the PC version on nightmare. So far I've seen only console heroes.

^ Top  
  2. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    That would probably be tough/incredibly tedious, yes, but the high dragon is an optional battle. :smug: Though I've never actually bothered to try soloing that battle on NM with a rogue, I did use a dex rogue to tank with a party and the dragon never successfully grabbed the toon.
    And crushing prison isn't as much of a death sentence as you seem to think it is. You just need a spirit balm before fighting the (few) enemies that use it consistently, or just cheese the fight with stealth.

^ Top  
  3. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Of course you can always skip the problematic fights, most of them anyway.

He probably always grabbed one of your party members. This will quickly change if you're the only one there.

Dunno, maybe this works but I've never tried spirit balm.

^ Top  
  4. Kidd Educated

Kidd
    DAO had the option to play in that camera angle and it was even the default, so it's hardly odd they're showing it off. But they're also showing interest in making the PC version of DAI play more like DAO. While that's not a direct confirmation of and overhead camera, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in the game.

^ Top  
  5. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    Notice how DA:I characters move at the monitors and slight change in perspective.
    I WUNT TO BE A DARK SOOL!!

^ Top  
  6. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    The operative word being option.
    What I am more concerned about is the lack of isometric perspective i.e. camera is locked into over the shoulder third person view. That is what imo, implied by similarities in DA2.

^ Top  
  7. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Been there, done that.

5sec cd iirc, but all the potions were on separate cooldowns (lesser hp pot, regular hp pot, big one). And yes, the potions are dumb.

Probably would, but it's far from the only way to cheese encounters.

You realize for the price of one of those OP gear pieces you can probably buy over 1000 small claw traps, right? Those little things that basically stun enemies for 15 seconds and do 100 damage? Also, a decent stock of nades can take care of almost any dangerous encounter.

Good call.

Really? It only takes 1 rank of poison-making to be able to use a nade. 1 nade does 80 AoE damage, so with 4 party members that's an instant 320 AoE damage (instakills most mobs). Now rotate grenade types to circumvent cooldowns and you are quickly dropping bosses.

This never happens to me. Do you know why? Because my rogue stealths ahead and opens the door, then I pull the mobs across a corner with a few traps, where I can get my mages to fire first, right as they are busy walking around the corner.

You don't force field the boss. If you have two mages you get your tank to taunt and you rotate force fields on your tank, who will never resist the force field. Since force field doesn't reset mob aggro, all the mobs will be happily targeting your invulnerable tank while you pick them off one by one. You might aggro the mob you are picking off while doing this, but if you want to be slow about it you can combokill each mob before they do anything. Of course, you could also just run two cunning maximizing bards. Captivating Song is a sustained ability causing AoE mental resistance checks vs. Bard's cunning every 4 seconds to avoid getting stunned for 3 seconds. With two pure cunning bards you have enemy-only AoE permastun.

I do. That's why I don't make the same mistakes you do.

I like how you realize your strategy regularly blows up in your face and, instead of wondering if you're doing something wrong, you simply decide that it's impossible for anyone else to do better than you.

Total cakewalk, actually. I rolled a mage on my first playthrough and I was using Glyph of Paralysis, potions, heals, nades, DLC promo items... Turns out Glyph of Paralysis makes a lot of encounters easy, especially when you use it on the Ogre boss on Tower of Ishal. (Also turns out Glyph of Paralysis ignores spell resistance iirc.) And I was pulling mobs around corners all the time to get the drop on them. You know the arcane horror boss fight in the ruins? I killed him from the top of the stairs by shooting arrows into its face (this is how I pull mobs). Thanks to funny boss script teleportations, it kept teleporting around downstairs so it never got remotely close enough to do anything so it died. I didn't have Mana Clash to instantly murder enemy mages, but Glyph of Neutralization would completely negate them anyway. Once I got Force Field shit got stupid. At first I was trying it on bosses but then I started dropping it on tanks. Back then FF's duration wasn't nerfed so it only took 1 mage to rotate it on your tank. That was a 0 death playthrough. And yes, it was on nightmare difficulty. (I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned I never played another difficulty.)

The main challenge in soloing as a rogue is not getting bored to death from stealthkilling anything dangerous. When you can stealth, stand next to someone, and toss nades at them until they die without ever destealthing or provoking a response, it's not a challenge.

DAO's failure wasn't gameplay difficulty as much as it was learning difficulty. They should've done a proper old-school manual.

Go ranger spec. The bear pet has Slam for a knockdown and the wolf pet can do the Dread Howl AoE stun if you edit its tactics right as you summon the pet, but you'll want to use the Advanced Tactics mod to make decent use of DIY AI shit. Also, pets can just draw aggro and let your rogue backstab shit to death.

Use a pet. Use stealth. Really, that's about it. As for Mana Clash, if you precede it with a Mana Cleanse (which is bugged to give mana instead of removing it...) it will murder them solid.

Anyone can solo kill the high dragon.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Gurkog Erudite

Gurkog
    Project: Eternity
    I have had a lot of success with healer AI. I just give my healer single target attack spells and set to heal themselves and others under certain conditions and it works for 95% of the game without me taking control (sometimes I have to take control to use mana pots) on nightmare difficulty.

Heck, usually I usually only have to pick the initial target for my tank and he is good to go for the rest of the fight without my input.

Although, I do micromanage the damage dealers to hell.

EDIT: I don't cheese the AI, set traps, or toss grenades. I like the challenge of a fair fight.

^ Top  
  9. ~RAGING BONER~ Learned

~RAGING BONER~
    rogues don't have the luxury of "fighting fair"...the whole point of rogues is to fight to win using any means necessary.

^ Top  
  10. Gurkog Erudite

Gurkog
    Do rogues set the difficulty to easy as well?

^ Top  
  11. ~RAGING BONER~ Learned

~RAGING BONER~
    only when we LARP.

^ Top  
  12. Hepler's Vagina Learned

Hepler's Vagina
    Absinthe-
    -You only get stealth after a fair while (you get a 'clean' Leliana only in Lothering) - until then you can't scout ahead (though I agree this mechanic makes things easy). So until that point, I presume you wouldn't call it a breeze for the reasons I mentioned before?
    -You can't always use stealth to get the first shot in because of cutscenes. Eg the blood mages den in Denerim. Eg Marjolaine. Eg Arl Howe etc etc. Even if you stealth into an area that still does not mean that when the rest of your party comes flying in, they'll get the first shot.
    -You can't always forcefield your tank because lots of encounters involve swarming and in my experience they will not try to push past your mage if he's closest (even non armor wearing mage).

But if you think it's easy on nightmare then kudos to you. For the majority of people especially if they only play once, I think it's plenty challenging. Perhaps my perception of DA:O difficulty is clouded by my zero health poultice and zero overpowered spell approach. I guess if I stealthed ahead into every room and storm of the century'd it...

^ Top  
  13. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Well... if you intentionally cripple yourself with house rules then any game can be hard. And for the record I played through NM without using stealth, grenades, traps, or storm of the century and found it easy when I knew what I was doing otherwise. Maybe 3 or 4 really tough battles throughout the game, and none in Awakening.

^ Top  
  14. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    believe in glorious Codexia, the last bastion before the decline, it is known as LARPing?

^ Top  
  15. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    LARPing here has come to mean any role playing which falls outside of what is strictly required by the game itself, such as hanging on to early game items for sentimental reasons. I suppose house rules could fall under that in some cases.

^ Top  
  16. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    Thanks for the clarification. Although I would consider not cheesing as larping, unless i leads to vastly difference playstyle. (mage without harm in Arcanum... )

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    ^ Top  
  17. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    House rules are bandages for bad design. I wouldn't have any fun with any crpg at all if I didn't use them.

^ Top  
  18. imweasel Guest

imweasel
    Aha. Even P:E ...?

^ Top  
  19. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    That is a very fanatic outlook. Like muslim women refusign to wear a helmet over their burkha when on a bike. Also as iamweasel pointed out what about PE? what is your argument to go back to fellating Sawyerism?

^ Top  
  20. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Last 5 years or so I have used the "house rule" of ignoring buffs and items 99% of the time because modern RPGs are not difficult enough to bother with such things.

I wish I could abandon that rule.

^ Top  
  21. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    The nigh-perfect RPG might not need such things, we'll see.

^ Top  
  22. Gurkog Erudite

Gurkog
    Chances are, the thing you like is shit.

:love:

^ Top  
  23. Rake Arcane

Rake
    I really hope Roguey is disappointed with PE. It will meen it's a great game that the rest of us will like.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You're assuming it will have good content, which Josh will not have as much control over

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)