Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by Morgoth, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Black Shogun Educated

Black Shogun
    Honestly, now that I think about it, I hope they release this game. And once they release it, I know that it'll sell well, since there are so many Casual, Console, Call of Duty Skyrim douches out there who'd buy it. Because I know that I'll be keeping my Jewish gold.
    :keepmyjewgold:

^ Top  
  2. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "lus Kingdoms of Amalur going down for failing to reach 2 million sales. And 2 millions was the break even point. They would have needed 3 mil to actually turn a profit."

Special circumstances because of the silly loan they took oiut and it was a start up company that's entire existence was based on said loan.

"The Dragon Age series almost certainly has similar demands placed on it. It's not hard to imagine DA3 needing 3 mil or even 4 mil tin sales for the series to survive. After all, EA doesn't just want a modest return on its investment - it could put its money into a bank for that. It wants a high return on its investment."

Oh, I agree. EA definitely expects DA3 to hit high levels.

"And with DA2s sales stumble, funding for DA3 could actually even be yanked at this stage, and at any time, whenever EA goes through their next reorganization. It wouldn't be the first time they've done that to a modestly successful series, and for the same reason."

Yet, EA has the NHL series which is fortunate to sell even a mil copies yet continues to be hyped as a success even though EA's others sports franchises dwarfs it in sales and success. It keeps up truckin'.

"DA3 is most likely their last chance before EA drops them as a semi-entity and absorbs them completely, keeping the name for their own purposes and sitting on the IP."

If DA3 does poorly, DA will be over but I don't see them stopping the use of the BIO brand name barring huge unforeseen things.

^ Top  
  3. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    2 million units sold within the first 2 weeks. Considering DA2 had a very short development cycle (12-14 months), this definitely was very profitable. But short development cycles do not suite Bioware well (remember the fan backslash and butthurt), and Bio recognized that, hence DA3 will have to sell a bit more with it's 3 year development cycle.

^ Top  
  4. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    I'm not sure that it's very profitable, but I guess it was fairly so. Biggest issue for Bio's games is, from the suits' point of view (and not looking at TOR) is the continued failure to break into new markets, which was probably the main cause of EA purchase of BioWare in the first place, and with all the "positive" publicity around it, I don't see Bio breaking new markets with their next games either, in fact the most likely thing is that their sales will actually start falling for a whole pile of reasons. Of course, society keeps disappointing me so it might be the fucking opposite, or Bio might even make a good game, so, there's always room for unexpected events.

^ Top  
  5. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    If EA wants to have every single game breaking new markets, then they have unrealistic expectations. Not every game can be a Battlefield or Sims, and if they want to, then they better start laying off thousands of people, because nobody *can* do that, no matter how hard Bioware & Co. will try. That's just not how the markets work. You can't please and reach everyone, and never will.

EA is just too big and too greedy for it's own good. Firms of that size with an ever perpetual hunger for reaching out more people will eventually become disfunctional and break.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    "One million copies of Dragon Age II were sold within two weeks of the launch, faster than Dragon Age: Origins. Within two months of the launch, the game sold-in "over two million copies", meaning that over two million copies have been distributed to retailers. The sales rate of the game has been decreasing fast since its release, selling in later weeks less than what Origins sold in the same numbers of weeks after launch."

Taken from Wikipedia.

The large initial sales were made by fans of the first game and then sales just stopped, since people who was interested in the game already bought it and the game was so shitty they generated poor word of mouth meaning that noone else wanted it.

^ Top  
  7. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    This is something EA does not understand. Their plans seem to involve buying studios that are relatively big in the field that currently interests them and where they have little presence (See BioWare for RPG, Westwood and Maxis for strategy), then "simplify" the gameplay to expand the potential user bases. It works in some genres, and it certainly fails in others.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sabriana Learned

Sabriana
    Didn't Pepsi-man grantly announce that the 'game of the future' is the MP game? He seems to be obsessed with it, even. I guess it's the best game form that allows the milking of the customer, coin by coin. Not even DLC can top that, because the player isn't confronted within the game by buyables.

My guess is that DA3, and any other game/company EA gets into their greedy squeeze will feature MP in the future. Personally, I won't touch MP, I'm a dedicated RPG SP. I don't even know how it worked out in NWN, because in all those years I simply ignored the MP/Co-op.

They (EA) are not satisfied with medium, but steady sales. They want it all. Right now! They want the ~10 mill Skyrim crowd, and turn them all into MP-buy bullet by bullet-gimme your money zombies. That's what they want to turn the RPG into, imo.

^ Top  
  9. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Taken from WIKIPEDIA.

L0LZ

'Nough said.

^ Top  
  10. Sabriana Learned

Sabriana
    Yeah, markec. Don't you know that the wiki is only true if it states good things about Bioware? Jeez, some people... ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Commissar Draco Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Woman speaks the truth don't be yelous Pretty Princess. :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  12. Ion Prothon II Liturgist

Ion Prothon II
    Inb4 Sabriana furiously proving he/she/it is not only a man, but also a true 2009 oldfag.

^ Top  
  13. Sabriana Learned

Sabriana
    Nah, I need not proof anything. My mom gave birth to a female child (two actually), and that's good enough for me. Proving I'm am male would be rather difficult, and a lie to boot - perish the thought.

Although, I could do a female to male transgender, hypothetically. I always wondered how that works. Do they stitch stuff on below, and simply slice stuff off above? Ouch. Even the thought about that hurts.

And how would the stitched on stuff work as the real stuff does? Do you blow it up like a ballon? That'll give a whole new meaning to 'blow job', wouldn't it?

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :lol: Sabriana is a true Codexer. :salute:

^ Top  
  15. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Your clit is a little undeveloped penis, bro. I mean sis.

^ Top  
  16. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    You know there's a whole internet out there where you can look this stuff up. But I can tell you that most transmen opt not to have this surgery because it's more trouble than it's worth.

^ Top  
  17. curry Arcane

curry
    you guys are falling for a troll :roll:

^ Top  
  18. Sabriana Learned

Sabriana
    Oh realy? Who's the troll? Unless you are trying to incite. In that case, not a good performance.

^ Top  
  19. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    More trouble than it's worth = a hilariously pathetic looking sex organ with little to no function even with high end implants

M2F for the win, epic for the win. :lol:

Suck it down F2M freaks.

^ Top  
  20. Sabriana Learned

Sabriana
    And the meat-head winner is.....

Fill in the blank yourself.

^ Top  
  21. Oriebam Formerly M4AE1BR0-something

Oriebam
    how do make my cock bigger

^ Top  
  22. Grimlorn Arcane

Grimlorn
    Is it still trolling when you become the troll?

^ Top  
  23. Sabriana Learned

Sabriana
    I just checked, and they are doing some fancy dancing around the MP issue. So my guess is, they'll include multi and the shit-ware Origin. Thank you, but no thank you. Keep it, because Origin will not touch my computer as long as my computer shall live.

^ Top  
  24. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)