Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
If EA wants to have every single game breaking new markets, then they have unrealistic expectations. Not every game can be a Battlefield or Sims, and if they want to, then they better start laying off thousands of people, because nobody *can* do that, no matter how hard Bioware & Co. will try. That's just not how the markets work. You can't please and reach everyone, and never will.

EA is just too big and too greedy for it's own good. Firms of that size with an ever perpetual hunger for reaching out more people will eventually become disfunctional and break.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
2 million units sold within the first 2 weeks. Considering DA2 had a very short development cycle (12-14 months), this definitely was very profitable. But short development cycles do not suite Bioware well (remember the fan backslash and butthurt), and Bio recognized that, hence DA3 will have to sell a bit more with it's 3 year development cycle.

"One million copies of Dragon Age II were sold within two weeks of the launch, faster than Dragon Age: Origins. Within two months of the launch, the game sold-in "over two million copies", meaning that over two million copies have been distributed to retailers. The sales rate of the game has been decreasing fast since its release, selling in later weeks less than what Origins sold in the same numbers of weeks after launch."

Taken from Wikipedia.

The large initial sales were made by fans of the first game and then sales just stopped, since people who was interested in the game already bought it and the game was so shitty they generated poor word of mouth meaning that noone else wanted it.

Angthoron

Arcane
If EA wants to have every single game breaking new markets, then they have unrealistic expectations. Not every game can be a Battlefield or Sims, and if they want to, then they better start laying off thousands of people, because nobody *can* do that, no matter how hard Bioware & Co. will try. That's just not how the markets work. You can't please and reach everyone, and never will.

EA is just too big and too greedy for it's own good. Firms of that size with an ever perpetual hunger for reaching out more people will eventually become disfunctional and break.
This is something EA does not understand. Their plans seem to involve buying studios that are relatively big in the field that currently interests them and where they have little presence (See BioWare for RPG, Westwood and Maxis for strategy), then "simplify" the gameplay to expand the potential user bases. It works in some genres, and it certainly fails in others.

Sabriana

Learned
Didn't Pepsi-man grantly announce that the 'game of the future' is the MP game? He seems to be obsessed with it, even. I guess it's the best game form that allows the milking of the customer, coin by coin. Not even DLC can top that, because the player isn't confronted within the game by buyables.

My guess is that DA3, and any other game/company EA gets into their greedy squeeze will feature MP in the future. Personally, I won't touch MP, I'm a dedicated RPG SP. I don't even know how it worked out in NWN, because in all those years I simply ignored the MP/Co-op.

They (EA) are not satisfied with medium, but steady sales. They want it all. Right now! They want the ~10 mill Skyrim crowd, and turn them all into MP-buy bullet by bullet-gimme your money zombies. That's what they want to turn the RPG into, imo.

Sabriana

Learned
Yeah, markec. Don't you know that the wiki is only true if it states good things about Bioware? Jeez, some people... ;)

Sabriana

Learned
Nah, I need not proof anything. My mom gave birth to a female child (two actually), and that's good enough for me. Proving I'm am male would be rather difficult, and a lie to boot - perish the thought.

Although, I could do a female to male transgender, hypothetically. I always wondered how that works. Do they stitch stuff on below, and simply slice stuff off above? Ouch. Even the thought about that hurts.

And how would the stitched on stuff work as the real stuff does? Do you blow it up like a ballon? That'll give a whole new meaning to 'blow job', wouldn't it?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Although, I could do a female to male transgender, hypothetically. I always wondered how that works. Do they stitch stuff on below, and simply slice stuff off above? Ouch. Even the thought about that hurts.

And how would the stitched on stuff work as the real stuff does? Do you blow it up like a ballon? That'll give a whole new meaning to 'blow job', wouldn't it?

Your clit is a little undeveloped penis, bro. I mean sis.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nah, I need not proof anything. My mom gave birth to a female child (two actually), and that's good enough for me. Proving I'm am male would be rather difficult, and a lie to boot - perish the thought.

You know there's a whole internet out there where you can look this stuff up. But I can tell you that most transmen opt not to have this surgery because it's more trouble than it's worth.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

You know there's a whole internet out there where you can look this stuff up. But I can tell you that most transmen opt not to have this surgery because it's more trouble than it's worth.
More trouble than it's worth = a hilariously pathetic looking sex organ with little to no function even with high end implants

M2F for the win, epic for the win. :lol:

Suck it down F2M freaks.

Grimlorn

Arcane
They expected far more than what they got. They cancelled the DA2 expansion because it did so poorly. They were aiming to enlarge Bioware/EA's market, hence the birth of the "awesome button". However, due to the ineptitude of quite a few people, they managed to not only lose what they had, but failed to attract the 'casual console crowd'.

I bet there was crying and hand-wringing when they saw that Skyrim pulled in the money hand over fist. Now they are looking at Bethesda's Skyrim for inspiration. Even though thinking about a Bioware/Bethsoft hybrid is very scary, it also could be interesting to watch.

Even for a non-MMORPG fan like me, a global subscriber base of only 2 million and dropping steadily, for a game that cost many million to make sounds like a major bust. Weren't they even talking of going to 'free-play'?

r00fles!
Is it still trolling when you become the troll?

Sabriana

Learned
I just checked, and they are doing some fancy dancing around the MP issue. So my guess is, they'll include multi and the shit-ware Origin. Thank you, but no thank you. Keep it, because Origin will not touch my computer as long as my computer shall live.

aris

Arcane

This is something EA does not understand. Their plans seem to involve buying studios that are relatively big in the field that currently interests them and where they have little presence (See BioWare for RPG, Westwood and Maxis for strategy), then "simplify" the gameplay to expand the potential user bases. It works in some genres, and it certainly fails in others.
Only that EA did not do that with bioware. Bioware was doing itself, long before EA came into the scene, starting around the time of KOTOR and NWN, and what we see today is just a continuation of that strategy. Except for shorter development cycles (but more man-resources), little changed as far as I'm concerned with bioware when EA took over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom