Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age site updated

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

What the title said - the official <a href=http://dragonage.bioware.com/>Dragon Age site</a> is updated. Bio continues to insist that it's a blockbuster title and adds some really <s>awesome</s> generic descriptions as proof.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Dragon Ageâ„¢ is a blockbuster fantasy role-playing game set in a vast new world created by BioWare.
<br>
<br>
Your adventures will take you across the kingdom of Ferelden. Explore blood-soaked battlefields, ancient forests and intriguing urban settings. Resist the corrupting power of magic as you discover the abandoned wizard's tower; then descend into the halls of a dwarven kingdom. But beware! Dwarven politics may prove as deadly as their blades. This is a world as real as our own, but where the dark allure of magic ultimately shapes every facet of society. It is a world where willpower and cunning can claim a kingdom!</blockquote>Cute, but hardly as awesome as a world where necromancy can enslave nations.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Explore Dragon Age through a deep, cinematic storyline. Choose how you interact with the other inhabitants of the world: your interactions will influence how this immersive world changes in reaction to larger-than-life world events. Build a party of unforgettable companions you can befriend, romance, or simply exploit. Engage in tactically challenging, party-based combat against a cast of diverse opponents. In Dragon Age you will uncover hidden magic, battle horrific creatures, and challenge power-hungry nobles.</blockquote>Larger then life? Unforgettable companions? Horrific creatures? Sounds like a Disney commercial.
<br>
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Eh? Not surprising this is what passes as 'news' around here. :roll:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I thought a guy like you would be delighted to learn that the kingdom is called Ferelden and that dwarven politics are as deadly as their blades. (notice the hint of originality - blades!). Well, that's gratitude for you...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Maybe there should be a newspost about how Jade Empire isn't a financial failure. That would be exciting."

LOL :D

"I thought a guy like you would be delighted to learn that the kingdom is called Ferelden and that dwarven politics are as deadly as their blades. (notice the hint of originality - blades!). Well, that's gratitude for you..."

Dwarves are cool; but this isn't news. We alreayd knew dwarves were gonna be in, and I seirosuly doubt BIo would go 'we have dwarves; but they'll be boring and 100% unoirginal." LOLLERS

Mantiis

Cipher
baby arm said:
Maybe there should be a newspost about how Jade Empire isn't a financial failure. That would be exciting.

It bomb did it?

obediah

Erudite
Mantiis said:
baby arm said:
Maybe there should be a newspost about how Jade Empire isn't a financial failure. That would be exciting.

It bomb did it?

dear god, I hope not. That would make it a crtically aclaimed, financial disaster - which is company it certainly doesn't deserve.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
BIo and MS claim it was a success selling 500k+ copies in the first 6 months of release.

Internet geeks - espicially on the Obsidian boardss- claim it was an abysmal failure of epic proportions not seen since the days of games selling 1 unit per country.

:roll:

Seven

Erudite
!HyPeRbOy! said:
Why are they not porting JE? I dont buy that technical crap-explanation.

This is my personnal opinion, but I suspect that it did not do as well as they had hoped--as such they might not want to pursue the franchaise any further, so no port and probably no sequels in the forseeable future. Of course, this is just me speculating.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Or MS just doesn't want it ported until they've milked XBox exclusivity for all it's worth.

obediah

Erudite
it was so horribly shallow in every dimension. Short game, lots of shallow characters, mind numbing character development, and thumb numbing bland akshun combat. In so many aspects it felt like a stripped down KoToR with slanty eyes. I knew the rpg was going to be stripped out, but I didn't expect the combat to be so boring. I expected kewl combat styles with slick animations and the ultra moves, but instead I got rock-paper-scissor and i could choose slow and strong or fast and weak. boring.

Drakron

Arcane
Blockbuster?

I belive the term comes from Star Wars:A New Hope that had such big lines that they were beyond a block and so "blockbuster".

Now its a term about VERY sucesefull movies, kinda hard for a game to be a blockbuster outside of Japan, let alone before its released.

dongle

Scholar
Wow.

That's some epic wallpaper right there.

I mean, they gots the logo in it and all! How could you -not- be excited after seeing that?

Balor

Arcane
Naming a game 'blockbuster' before it's release is even worse then 'Trust us, it'll be cool!'.
It's more like "You will buy this game, resistance is futile'.
How about a nice cup of STFU, PR monkeys? :roll:

obediah

Erudite
dongle said:
Wow.

That's some epic wallpaper right there.

I mean, they gots the logo in it and all! How could you -not- be excited after seeing that?

fallout, now that was a wallpaper that reminded me that a game was coming out that I wanted OMFG sooooo bad. I still occasionally run into people that have that power armor and flag as their background, and quite a few of them didn't even know it was for a game. For sure, the only video game wallpaper I ever used.

bryce777

Erudite
Balor said:
Naming a game 'blockbuster' before it's release is even worse then 'Trust us, it'll be cool!'.

Well, in the difference to me is at least there is some truth here. There is little doubt it will sell if only due to the marketing blitz. Will it be great, who knows? Will it sell enough to make another worthwhile? Again, unknown.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Drakron said:
Blockbuster?

I belive the term comes from Star Wars:A New Hope that had such big lines that they were beyond a block and so "blockbuster".

Now its a term about VERY sucesefull movies, kinda hard for a game to be a blockbuster outside of Japan, let alone before its released.

Uh, did you never participate in the Halo 2 euophoria? I went along with my friends to pick up the game at midnight and we did almost 2 hours of waiting in line just for them to get their copy. The line was freaking huge too, and if it hadn't been inside a mall it surely would have spanned a few blocks. Also when the first kid came out he held aloft the box and everyone cheered and applauded.

NOTE OMG LOLZ: I'm not saying Halo 2 is teh bestest game ever, I'm just pointing out there is such a thing as a blockbuster game outside of japan.

Jed

Cipher
bryce777 said:
Balor said:

Well, in the difference to me is at least there is some truth here. There is little doubt it will sell if only due to the marketing blitz. Will it be great, who knows? Will it sell enough to make another worthwhile? Again, unknown.
I think the problem is the mis-use of "blockbuster." It probably will be a "blockbuster" game in terms of sales, at least, but it's an adjective that has to be earned in reality, not simply self-assigned. It's like saying that your unpublished novel is a best-selling murder mystery before you've even finished writing it. It simply bears to be seen.

But then again, this is Canadian English, so who knows...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"it was so horribly shallow in every dimension. Short game, lots of shallow characters, mind numbing character development, and thumb numbing bland akshun combat. In so many aspects it felt like a stripped down KoToR with slanty eyes. I knew the rpg was going to be stripped out, but I didn't expect the combat to be so boring. I expected kewl combat styles with slick animations and the ultra moves, but instead I got rock-paper-scissor and i could choose slow and strong or fast and weak. boring."

Only a fuckin' moron would think that KOTOR is better than JE. JE has better combat, role-playing, story, character, graphics, music, atmosphere, and everything.

So, in conclusion, youa re a fuckin' moron.

P.S. While, i agree people should wait 'til a game/movie is released before claling it ablockbuster. This isn't anything new. The word 'blockbuster' is thrown around often pre rlease espicially for movies. Just remember last summer - Batman, SWE3, WOTW, and King Kong(amongst a few others) were *all* blockbusters even before they were released. LOL :D

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I've never played Jade Empire. How exactly did its combat system work? I thought it was the same phase-based system as the KOTOR's.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Jade Empire IS Kotor. Only instead of a galaxy far far away it's Asia."

No.

"How exactly did its combat system work? I thought it was the same phase-based system as the KOTOR's."

No. It's full fledge real time (though stats do play a part in your character combat skill though not as much as a full fledge hardcore RPG). You can pause the combat and choose your next action though weirdly enough.

Jason

chasing a bee
I wish they'd just port the damn thing and do a Jade Empire: The Lost Chapters kind of deal. I'd like to play it, but I know an Xbox isn't in my future ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom