Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age - This is the New Transsexual Shit

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Horrible fantasy profanity in The Witcher is, again, because of the translation. It flows a lot better in the original Polish version, because alas, English is extremely limited when it comes to swear words.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Bioware Design Meeting

Man1#: Alright lets get a brainstorm going for the brothel, any ideas? Remember it needs to be gritty and mature.
Man#2: We could put in a Surprise me option were you wind up with a dog.
Man#1: Johnson! Your a Genius!

wat

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
"Surprise me" option? More like a rip-off option.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Horrible fantasy profanity in The Witcher is, again, because of the translation.

But of course - I think we are to blame russian translation too where such moments were extremely cringeworthy - it isn't the source, it is only translations' fault!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Darth Roxor said:
Horrible fantasy profanity in The Witcher is, again, because of the translation.

But of course - I think we are to blame russian translation too where such moments were extremely cringeworthy - it isn't the source, it is only translations' fault!
Knowing the usual, ahem, quality of Russian translations, I wouldn't be surprised.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Polish has pretty similar swear words to russian and other slavic languages - I was recognizing some.

As for russian translations - yes, but strangely enough it is the russian translation that made Fallout 3 less stupid.

Gerrard

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Darth Roxor said:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
hoodoo said:
Bioware Design Meeting

Muzyka: Alright, let's get a brainstorm going for the brothel, any ideas? Remember it needs to be gritty and mature.
Gaider: We could put in a surprise-me option where you wind up with a dog. Remember last Christmas party where we brought in bulldogs and strippers?
Muzyka: Dave, my love! You're a genius!

Fix't.

Chefe

Erudite
Darth Roxor said:
Horrible fantasy profanity in The Witcher is, again, because of the translation. It flows a lot better in the original Polish version, because alas, English is extremely limited when it comes to swear words.

Well I only have access to the English version in my country, sooooooooooooo I'm going to judge the game on the English version. CDP should have hired better translators because, y'know, translating doesn't mean throwing text into Bablefish. When you get a line back that says "Your mother sucks dwarf cock!" you NEED to stop and think for a moment that something went wrong. There are a ton of people on these boards who have translated interviews very nicely, so I have trouble believing that these idiots are the best that CDP could get.

Current English may be limited when it comes to swears, but that's because the best insults are thinly veiled. Swears are there for the most EXTREEEEEEME of situations, or for juveniles trying to act tough, or just innocent casual use (making it part of the everday lingo - like groovy or swell once were). There is also an extensive back catalogue of medieval and ancient swears, like the shit example posted earlier. There is also the option to just make up swears, like Morrowind with n'wah, scifi shows with frak, etc.

Lurkar

Scholar
Ass and shit would work if used in an actual context that they should be used in for the time period they're trying to recreate.

But they aren't going to be.

They're going to be just standard modern swear words. Your character does something DARK AND MATURE and yells "AWWWWW SHIIIIT!" He goes into the brothel and asks for a nice piece of ass. You get the idea.

It reminds me of Baldur's Gate, where the thematic whiplash was enough to give you real life injuries. One minute everyone is HURR HURR FOURTH WALL, the next it's trying to be authentic, and then they break out the LARPer speak.

Anyways, it would be cosmic justice if Bioware managed to net themselves an AO rating with all this idiocy, which would effectively kill the game and ruin their relationship with EA.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
My alternative?
Don't write shit dialogue / don't translate dialogue to shit.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Lurkar said:
Your character does something DARK AND MATURE and yells "AWWWWW SHIIIIT!"

Tyronicus The Dark-boded unsheathed his bastard sword and gesticulated to the oncoming orcs, creatively using his weapon as a prop, and shouted, "Come on! Time ta throw down on you mothafuckas! Grab dem damn ankles - I got somethin' on tha down low for all you bitches!"

As he impaled the final orc, some blood splattered his face, to which he responded to by licking it off his lips and giving an emphatic, 'WOOOO! Grama's cookies neva tasted'suh good!"

He then bows his head, and shedding a single tear, proclaims, 'F'give me grama - I know you lookin' down from above. I layed down tha law on dese suckas fuh you - I love you."

After a few moments, some looting, and a little more gesticulating, Tyronicus continued on his way. He shakes his head as he walks, saying to no one in particular, 'Damn! All dat BOOLshit gots me itchin for some flava, flava*. Where da hell's dem fly* ass honeys I fucked da udda day? Shiiiit..."

*Dated slang and phrasing may be changed in playtesting

Whoever did Transformers 2 could make a movie out of it.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Lingwe said:
"Your mother sucks dwarf cock"

What would you propose as an alternative?

"Your mother engages in the oral stimulation of a dwarven phallus"...?
There's no mention of phallus in Polish version (or even any vulgar word) of this sentence. Even "Your mother has been sleping with a dwarf!" would be a better for translation of "Twoja matka puszczała się z krasnoludem!" although it's not offensive enough.

Torquemada

Educated
Fat Dragon said:
Torquemada said:
American media are going to throw a tantrum on that one. They did it to the "innocent" and idiotic scene of Mass Effect but here with full bestiality and stuff Bioware is going to get free (negative) attention in the media when the game will be out.
That's like, better than investing in ads. The new way to sell RPGs ?
Not really. You could sleep with a sheep in Arcanum, but I don't recall that getting any negative media attention for it. It'll only make headlines if they had a cutscene depicting it, in DA it just does a fade-to-black for the brothel encounters.

No. Arcanum was a niche game created by a niche studio that failed in the market and died a painful death.
As much as I love Arcanum and Troïka, those games didn't matter enough for the media to put their attention toward them.
Did Postal 2 get as much attention as BIO Mass Effect sex scene ? No. It has had some media coverage for its über violence but nothing close to the outrage with regards to mass effect. And Postal 2 was a much more outrageous game whose sole objective was to do purely free violent acts toward citizens, cops and cats.

DA is a BIOWHORE game. BIOWHORE is a media darling and was bought by [EA].

MetalCraze

Arcane
Chefe said:
Darth Roxor said:

Well I only have access to the English version in my country, sooooooooooooo I'm going to judge the game on the English version. CDP should have hired better translators because, y'know, translating doesn't mean throwing text into Bablefish.

In fact CDP did a "re-translation" in TW: FREE Perfect Edition. It was exactly same shit, except some words had their places changed in sentences. I seriously doubt that the original is not a juvenile shit despite what fanboys say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom