Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Ball Z Kakarot, holy shit finaly DBZ RPG after years of waiting

Duraframe300

Arcane
Fuck it I'll just replay Attack of the Saiyans instead. That game was amazing in how it expanded on the story with Dragon Ball call backs and new additions.

Agree. And thats what I don't get about Kakarot, I thought they would add something to it like quite a few Dragonball games before it did. Successfully.

Instead I constantly feel its missing things, despite the game probably covering more than any other Dragonball game before it. This is mainly due to it missing some memorable and relevant scenes resulting in a weird feeling of something thats incomplete. And it adds nothing really on its own, the side missions being at best a very short side quest or one-two fights. And the story bits they add are mostly fluff and again, were done so much better in previous Dragonball Games.

I really, really struggle to take anything positive away from this game. Its that bad.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
These licensed game developers almost always phone it in, I'm really not surprised at all that this game is a threadbare effort. It practically already looks like a mobile game, and is a steep decline from the Xenoverse series. What's shocking to me is how even the most popular franchises don't have passionate fans making the games. Special exceptions go for Monolith Soft and Cyberconnect2, though. I also shamefully enjoyed the Inuyasha games, but I don't know who developed those.

Duraframe300

Arcane
These licensed game developers almost always phone it in, I'm really not surprised at all that this game is a threadbare effort. It practically already looks like a mobile game, and is a steep decline from the Xenoverse series. What's shocking to me is how even the most popular franchises don't have passionate fans making the games. Special exceptions go for Monolith Soft and Cyberconnect2, though. I also shamefully enjoyed the Inuyasha games, but I don't know who developed those.

Well, this was CyberConnect2 though, which is why its so disappointing. Might be inexperience though in what they wanted to accomplish with this specific type of game and thus development resources wrongly spent.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Well, this was CyberConnect2 though, which is why its so disappointing. Might be inexperience though in what they wanted to accomplish with this specific type of game and thus development resources wrongly spent.

Wait, really? That's what I get for not fact checking. I feel like a genuine games journalist. Still, that's shocking.

Tytus

Arcane
The Virgin Fighter Z vs. the Chad Tenkaichi 3
This would be funny if Fighter Z wouldn't be a million times better.

The chad of dbz games is without a doubt dbz budokai 3. Will fight anyone who disagrees. :argh:

Chads of DBZ games would be for sure:

Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu (ドラゴンボールZ 超スーパーサイヤ伝でん説せつ Doragon Bōru Zetto Sūpā Saiya Densetsu, lit. Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Legend) is a role playing video game and the first Dragon Ball game for the Super Famicom. It was released only in Japan on January 25, 1992.

Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans (ドラゴンボール改カイ サイヤ人来襲 Doragon Bōru Kai Saiya-jin Raishū, lit. Dragon Ball Revised: Saiyan Invasion)

The first one let's you change DBZ's "history" adds some cool quality content etc.

And the second builds a new storyline on top of the existing one which is actually enjoyable.

Both are pretty good RPGs (though Attack of the Saiyans is superior mechanically).

Poseidon00

Arcane
I tried Densetstu the other day when everyone was talking about it. Yamcha got the final blow on Frieza which was satisfying. Good game for sure, already beat it, now I wanna do it again with Ginyu on my team.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Everybody forgets the original Budokai but it really wasn't so bad. It told more of the major story than any of the fighting games that I know of, and had several what if sagas, one involving Frieza IIRC and one where Cell fuses with Krillin.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Reasons why Budokai 3 is chad (at least compared to the other dbz fighting games, ain't played those rpgs so leaving those out of the comparison):

-You could fly around like in kakarot and it didn't make a big deal out of it. Unlike kakarot the world is more tightly designed and small enough that it doesn't feel like a chore to look for dragon balls.
-Music is the best out of any dbz games I've played. Am happy to spam links to prove this point.
-Dodging looks cool af. You could actually replicate sequences where the fighters are trading blows and dodging everything, can't do that in any tenkaichi or z fighters game since due to their virgin status they can only block pathetically like in every other fighting games, or teleport behind the opponent but that's standard for most of the dbz fighting games.
-Didn't need to have "dramatic finish" to have a flashy way of ending fights and you had to earn it rather then game taking pity on you and giving you a cutscene despite the last hit being a jab to the leg or some equally virgin attack. If you want to finish kid buu with a spirit ball as base form goku, you would have to actually do it and not ask for permission, like a proper chad.
-Characters were not split into multiple variations depending on hairstyle. Tthis is something I hate with Z fighters, absolutely retarded you could make a team of kid goku, super saiyan goku and that new blue goku and they would somehow be separate characters equally matched with each other, even if it's for story reasons.
-Game was too chad to care about balance. You want to be a virgin lamer? Main kid buu then. But real men would struggle with their favorite characters and through sheer chadness overcome the power gap. This attitude also meant the game came out perfect without need for balance patches or nerfing characters.
-Moveset was small enough to learn quickly, and becoming good at the game was more about reflexes and quick thinking then learning long combo chains. Virgins want 10+ pages of tekken like combo lists yet outside of high level pro fights people tend to always use the same 4-5 combos.
-Fusions, especially potaro fusions were actually risky and that+dragon rushes led to mind games (people who reduce those events to mere statistical probability are virgin to the extreme). And due to previous point, fusions were actually strong af.
-Chad enough to take the good stuff from Dragon ball GT. Ssj4 design>super saiyan blue, ultra instinct or whatever the next color palette swap will be.

And on a more personal note, another reason why I hold budokai 3 dear:
You can play Yamcha in story mode and if you do everything right, you get a bonus chapter where he challenges Vegeta at the world tournament (via letter, like a true :obviously:)...and wins. And yes they do explain Yamcha won through trickery and he got pasted the following year at the rematch when vegeta actually tried, but it's the biggest win I've ever seen Yamcha get, especially over a saiyan. Only a true chad of a game could give Yamcha a moment of awesome like this rather then continue circle jerking the meme of haha yamcha sucks. Dude was one of the dragon ball OGs and one of the few who beat goku (even if he was hungry) ffs. Totally not biased because I watched mainly original db as a kid and the few times I saw Z he just came off as a cool looking character and a mainstay of the group so was one of my favorite characters from the show, didn't know about his meme status until I was 20.

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
You can play Yamcha in story mode and if you do everything right, you get a bonus chapter where he challenges Vegeta at the world tournament (via letter, like a true :obviously:)...and wins. And yes they do explain Yamcha won through trickery and he got pasted the following year at the rematch when vegeta actually tried, but it's the biggest win I've ever seen Yamcha get, especially over a saiyan. Only a true chad of a game could give Yamcha a moment of awesome like this rather then continue circle jerking the meme of haha yamcha sucks. Dude was one of the dragon ball OGs and one of the few who beat goku (even if he was hungry) ffs. Totally not biased cos I watched mainly original db as a kid and the few times I saw Z he just came off as a cool looking character and a mainstay of the group so was one of my favorite characters from the show, didn't know about his meme status until I was 20.

Wait, what? How do you obtain this? I knew about some of the secrets like Broly saga but this is new.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Wait, what? How do you obtain this? I knew about some of the secrets like Broly saga but this is new.

Ain't played the game in ages but I'd assume you'd have to collect all the dragon balls+ go to certain events on the map. Then post buu, instead of fighting Tien you fight Vegeta.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Apparently you need to see all of the extra cutscenes. I thought I had since I main Yamcha in most games. Now I must try again.

Dragonball era sword wielding Yamcha is best Yamcha. If they can add not-existant characters like Great Ape Nappa to the the fighting games they can add him, damnit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Reasons why Budokai 3 is chad (at least compared to the other dbz fighting games, ain't played those rpgs so leaving those out of the comparison):

-You could fly around like in kakarot and it didn't make a big deal out of it. Unlike kakarot the world is more tightly designed and small enough that it doesn't feel like a chore to look for dragon balls.
-Music is the best out of any dbz games I've played. Am happy to spam links to prove this point.
-Dodging looks cool af. You could actually replicate sequences where the fighters are trading blows and dodging everything, can't do that in any tenkaichi or z fighters game since due to their virgin status they can only block pathetically like in every other fighting games, or teleport behind the opponent but that's standard for most of the dbz fighting games.
-Didn't need to have "dramatic finish" to have a flashy way of ending fights and you had to earn it rather then game taking pity on you and giving you a cutscene despite the last hit being a jab to the leg or some equally virgin attack. If you want to finish kid buu with a spirit ball as base form goku, you would have to actually do it and not ask for permission, like a proper chad.
-Characters were not split into multiple variations depending on hairstyle. Tthis is something I hate with Z fighters, absolutely retarded you could make a team of kid goku, super saiyan goku and that new blue goku and they would somehow be separate characters equally matched with each other, even if it's for story reasons.
-Game was too chad to care about balance. You want to be a virgin lamer? Main kid buu then. But real men would struggle with their favorite characters and through sheer chadness overcome the power gap. This attitude also meant the game came out perfect without need for balance patches or nerfing characters.
-Moveset was small enough to learn quickly, and becoming good at the game was more about reflexes and quick thinking then learning long combo chains. Virgins want 10+ pages of tekken like combo lists yet outside of high level pro fights people tend to always use the same 4-5 combos.
-Fusions, especially potaro fusions were actually risky and that+dragon rushes led to mind games (people who reduce those events to mere statistical probability are virgin to the extreme). And due to previous point, fusions were actually strong af.
-Chad enough to take the good stuff from Dragon ball GT. Ssj4 design>super saiyan blue, ultra instinct or whatever the next color palette swap will be.

You can play Yamcha in story mode and if you do everything right, you get a bonus chapter where he challenges Vegeta at the world tournament (via letter, like a true :obviously:)...and wins. And yes they do explain Yamcha won through trickery and he got pasted the following year at the rematch when vegeta actually tried, but it's the biggest win I've ever seen Yamcha get, especially over a saiyan. Only a true chad of a game could give Yamcha a moment of awesome like this rather then continue circle jerking the meme of haha yamcha sucks. Dude was one of the dragon ball OGs and one of the few who beat goku (even if he was hungry) ffs. Totally not biased because I watched mainly original db as a kid and the few times I saw Z he just came off as a cool looking character and a mainstay of the group so was one of my favorite characters from the show, didn't know about his meme status until I was 20.
Now you really peaked my interest. Do you know what would be the most optimal way to play this on PC? I see that this was only released on consoles. Since it was also released on the Wii, I'd assume that version would be the easiest to play, thanks to Dolphin emulator.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Now you really peaked my interest. Do you know what would be the most optimal way to play this on PC? I see that this was only released on consoles. Since it was also released on the Wii, I'd assume that version would be the easiest to play, thanks to Dolphin emulator.

Ps2 emulator only and make sure it's the original version, not HD. Why? Because there was some major drama with the composer of the budokai games, Kenji Yamamoto, when people realized he was plagiarizing most of the music he made for the series. As a result he got fired and the music for HD and future versions like for wii was a completely different ost. More original no doubt, but also nowhere near as good.

Sound familiar? It should!

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I'm having fun with it. I like it more than the fighting games in the past where you blow through story mode and that's it, and Xenoverse just felt grindy and tedious. I like running around as Kid Gohan, I liked beating up on Yamcha and Tien as Still a Jerk Piccolo, I like that the buildup to Vegeta and Nappa actually matters rather than just being one cutscene in between best 2 of 3 bouts.

But I definitely see the cut content and rushed sections. It seems you can either limit yourself to a portion of the DBZ canon in one game or do an edit of the whole thing, but not both. If they had focused on the adventure elements while cutting the story down to just the frieza saga, they may have had an improved overall game. But being able to play all the way through to Buu is pretty neat too. I'm torn.

I guess I'll see how far I get before getting bored.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
Hey Guys & Gals, what Dragon Ball games do you recommend on the steam store. I would prefer an RPG rather than a fighting game (as I can never learn those autistic& ADD combos). My sister did give me the Xenoverse pack (I& II) for my birthday last summer, which I only played 1 hour, making a dwarf Elvis Buu.

mogwaimon

Magister
Goku and Vegeta having multiple variations in FighterZ works because even though they're the same character, mechanically they all play quite different from each other. Granted I would prefer they add more unique characters as well but it has to be like that because it's a traditional 2D fighter and mid-game transformations don't usually work out that well. usually just result in straight speed/power boosts for like ten seconds and they already have that for every fighter in the form of Sparking so it's even more boring.

still, Budokai 3 was pretty bae. I never got super into the singleplayer coz i didn't own it but my buddy had them so we ended up doing a lot of multiplayer. I always ended up losing until one of my other friends coached me a bit and then I ended up gitting decent. fun times.

RE: DBZ games on Steam I think if you got Xenoverse 1 and 2 you pretty much have half the games already, all that's left on Steam IIRC is FighterZ and now Kakarot. All the good DBZ RPGs are on like, SNES or GBA as the others have been saying.

Damn, this game was a dissapointment.

What's the point of making it open world rpg if there is nothing to do in the open world apart from collecting orbs and some basic resources (and you will soon have more than you can use), and if most of the leveling is done automatically via events?

Duraframe300

Arcane

What's the point of making it open world rpg if there is nothing to do in the open world apart from collecting orbs and some basic resources (and you will soon have more than you can use), and if most of the leveling is done automatically via events?

Fun fact about these orbs. Collecting them is completly useless.
Just from fights you get enough orbs for the game itself, and towards the end/postgame you get soo many orbs in battle that any time you spent collecting them was counterproductive since that time could have been easier spent farming a second in endgame.

So, yes. The only, only reason to do anything else than follow quest markers is if you enjoy those meaningless NPC conversations that much. And its not like we're talking about Legend of Heroes here.

Edit: Ah, yes. Another thing that sucks is enemy variety. Probably the worst I've ever seen in a game.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fun fact about these orbs. Collecting them is completly useless.
Just from fights you get enough orbs for the game itself, and towards the end/postgame you get soo many orbs in battle that any time you spent collecting them was counterproductive since that time could have been easier spent farming a second in endgame.

So, yes. The only, only reason to do anything else than follow quest markers is if you enjoy those meaningless NPC conversations that much. And its not like we're talking about Legend of Heroes here.

Edit: Ah, yes. Another thing that sucks is enemy variety. Probably the worst I've ever seen in a game.

Pretty much every bit of side content is completely unnecessary. You don't even need to bother with training, or I suspect the skill tree.

You get most of the powerful abilities just from doing the storyline.

I think the only time I lost a fight was Raditz when I was still getting used to the controls.

Sentinel

Arcane
Think I'm gonna drop the game definitely.

I'm a huge fan of DB and seeing the cutscenes recreated is a really cool thing, but everything else is megashit.

Why does learning a new technique require me to engage in annoying as fuck 1v3?
Why is the combat so repetitive and button mashy?
Why do the enemies randomly get complete invulnerability forcing you to back off and do nothing for 3 seconds and interrupting all fight momentum?
Why did they not take the opportunities to change up the gameplay like the Serpent's Way on the way to King Kai? Every single mission has you fighting somebody when the combat is pretty poor.

Game feels like a very cheap cashgrab, sadly. I really wish they'd do a Dragon Ball RPG instead, so they'd be forced to take a step back and redesign some stuff, since in DB you can't be teleporting around everywhere and doing transformations and all sorts of Ki attacks.

mogwaimon

Magister
DB RPG would be great but we all know that Dragon Ball before Raditz doesn't exist anymore

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom