Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Playing trails really skewed my expectation about NPC development, after the final boss i travelled the town to see if NPC has anything interesting to say but like 80% of the time they just say generic "yay the world is saved, thank you hero!"

The named NPC do say something interesting, thats like 5 percent, 5 more percent like kai dont even change their diaoluge from act 2.

The rest are scripted event tied to post game story

Ziggy

Scholar
decadence and greed in the third luminary trial

:shredder:

the hell do i even do here, grind until its doable?

anyway, this if the first jrpg i found enjoyable, and good even. anything like this that i could play on pc without emulators or at least without tinkering too much with them? not too anime, turn-based, fun

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
without emulators... hard to say Ziggy. If only Ni no Kuni 1 or Persona 5 had been ported to PC, but no you need emulator for those.

And, obviously, all of the "classics" require an emulator as well. Also don't pay attention to anyone who recommends you play the PC ports of one of the "Tales of..." games, they're junk compared to legit stuff like DQ11.

Frankly I think the only other PC-port of a GOOD jrpg for you would be... Trails in the Sky, prolly. Yeah, that one.

EDIT: Might want to check out the just-released PC port of Resonance of Fate. I haven't played it but lots seem to agree it's above-average.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
I finally started playing it. Is it me or does this feel more linear than previous Dragon Quest games? Like I feel like the places you travel are build so that they're basically over sized paths instead of open areas.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It opens up later on, don't worry. Game is loooooooooong as fuck, I dare say equally as long as DQ7.

Jinn

Arcane
It opens up later on, don't worry. Game is loooooooooong as fuck, I dare say equally as long as DQ7.

Yep. I'm at 70 hours and I think I'm pretty much right in the middle of it. I love it, but I'm to the point where I need to take breaks. Long games tend to benefit from me returning to them after little breaks, I find. Still absolutely love the game though.

And I agree, it's really not much more linear than most Dragon Quest games. I think the removal of the "illusion" of a purely open map might make people think this has corridor design, but once you open up the map proper, you'll find it really isn't that different than traveling on a traditional "open world" DQ map.

decadence and greed in the third luminary trial

:shredder:

the hell do i even do here, grind until its doable?

anyway, this if the first jrpg i found enjoyable, and good even. anything like this that i could play on pc without emulators or at least without tinkering too much with them? not too anime, turn-based, fun

I cooked up some Catholicon Rings to prevent the stuns / charms that they love to throw out. Outside of that, I mopped up pretty quick by having Veronica use Magic Burst and having whomever feed her elfin elixirs. Really that was all there was to it.

Now the final trial on the Wheel of Harma, on the other hand :negative:
Feel like I'm going to need some seed farming for that one.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Definitely had to turn off super hard monsters into the second act just because the game was so damn long, and boss fights were becoming just drags with massively extended periods of heal/revive. Like idk I want tough fights but if the game is just chomping through health bars without encounter design then shrug.

Fred

Learned
Yeah, you have quite a lot to go still. I agree with your review.
For the musics, I don't know if the debate about midi made me miss that crucial information, because I read this nowhere and realized it myself, but all of the music in the game is from previous DQs. I thought Nautica music was a new one, but then I realized it's from a very specific part of DQ6, during the blood in the river story, when you reunite the lovers, this music plays (it plays this once in the entire game I think). See here https://youtu.be/rJd6lUb7E4o?list=PLeZSRkjynvkuL9ct3d13mmeYoANhfoQzF&t=943 at 15mn40
The only music that could be exclusive is the Hotto town one, this one I'm not sure where it's from.
Quoting myself, the Hotto music is from DQ 3 and the original from SNES was quite nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JOeXPXWwM8

But now I wonder about the "previously in DQ 11" music that plays when you load a game...I don't know if it's an original or not.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
BoPqTk1.jpg

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I'm honestly amazed with DQ11. I expected the post game to be a bonus dungeon, not a full third act, and the story took a pretty strange turn too. They could have easily packaged and sold this as DLC.

EDIT: Might want to check out the just-released PC port of Resonance of Fate. I haven't played it but lots seem to agree it's above-average.

I would call Resonance of Fate... unique. It's basically a dungeon crawler with a limited party and super-strange mechanics. The story is nigh-incomprehensible and the challenge is all over the place. I'm glad I played it but it's low on my replay list.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Ziggy
The only JRPG on PC that I enjoyed outside of DQ11 is FF12, which you have likely already tried or played. It's not strictly turn-based, but it's not really real time either.

People have recommended Romancing SaGa 2, but keep in mind it's a $30 Android port. They fixed a lot of the worst aspects of the port in patches, but it's still kinda lame imo (not the game itself, the port).

Everything else is way too anime if you aren't into that style. The "Legend of Heroes" games are the closest thing probably to DQ11 in terms of how they play, but they are anime x1000. They aren't cringeworthy like the Neptunia games or whatever, but if you don't like anime, I don't think you could stand any of them.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Some questions as JRPG/Dragon Quest virgin:

should I spend my money willy-nilly?

is it worth it clearing maps (I've noticed enemies re-spawn ad nauseum, kinda like Pokemon)

I've noticed I have some items that can't be used in combat, is there a lot of secret interactivity in the environment? (I've noticed items caught in high places, ancestral trees, etc)

do you get more xp by fighting enemies at night, I'm starting to see diminishing returns fighting weaker enemies.

Thanks!

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
Some questions as JRPG/Dragon Quest virgin:

should I spend my money willy-nilly?

is it worth it clearing maps (I've noticed enemies re-spawn ad nauseum, kinda like Pokemon)

I've noticed I have some items that can't be used in combat, is there a lot of secret interactivity in the environment? (I've noticed items caught in high places, ancestral trees, etc)

do you get more xp by fighting enemies at night, I'm starting to see diminishing returns fighting weaker enemies.

Thanks!
  • I never hesitate to spend money on weapon or armor upgrades, but my best equipment has either been found in chests or I've crafted on the Fun Size Forge. Always check bookshelves for red books to try and find new crafting recipes
  • There are occasionally chests with decent loot hidden on maps or things required for quests, but you generally don't need to clear out an entire map. If you're tired of enemy swarms, go back after you've leveled up and weaker enemies will just run from you
  • Yes on the environmental interactivity. I don't know if you want spoilers, but there are definitely ways of reaching places that you normally can't on foot
  • I'm not sure if there is more experience gained from fighting enemies at night, but some enemies can only be found at certain times of day or during certain weather conditions

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
So, are you completed the game yet? I had to leave it aside. I've seen people critising the last hours of it and the post game. Is that rough?

Ivan

Arcane
quite enjoying leveling up my party. this takes me back to being a little kid playing Pokemon games on the gameboy.

Art style is great, music is very fun too (though I kinda get the feeling there aren't nearly enough tracks for the size of this game)

Just beat the Slayer of Sands. Can anyone inform me how much more game there is?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom