Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
HoboForEternity bro, can you talk about the difficulty curve with the Hard Mode turned on. Did you play with it all the way through. Did you have to go grind b/c you found yourself too underleveled for some shit. Did it stay fun with it throughout?

I'm having a blast with the game and just put it down for a short week's break due to family stuff.
i made it without grinding too much.

The 3rd act is a little different tho, i grinded to lev 97 to 99 lmao and the final boss is easy.

As for fun factor, i dunno, the normal level range for act 3 is going from 55 ish to 70, and the content are 80% optional and you need to do them if you wanna gain level, there are new bosses as well as you fight old bosses with power ups, i think it does stay fun troughout, but i dunno if it is viable without electro-lighting.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Last one I played was the angel stuff for the DS, this one's better the combat has its moments overall it's passable, did some puff puff
Good looking food too
DRAGON-QUEST-XI-2018-10-10-19-37-21-97.png

DRAGON-QUEST-XI-2018-10-10-19-39-13-57.png

Btw Kill me
DRAGON-QUEST-XI-2018-11-04-10-35-16-02.png

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Wow. Have played this for about 10 hours now.

Ok, the story is very ... meh.

That said, it's a straight-up sequel to Dragon Quest VIII. It's mostly the same. And all the changes I've seen so far were improvements. Yay!

It looks gorgeous. Just as campy, with a generous helping of Dragon Ball sauce. And mostly the same, but much better. Well, less gritty. Everything is happy.

It's more on rails, the areas are like strings of islands, and you can often only go one way. That's probably what I like least. But, it's still pretty big, and it does leave lots of room for sidetracking. Although you get everywhere if you just follow the plot.

The port is ... ok. It could have been done much better, but it all works and I have no real complaints. I play with a controller, obviously.

Best JRPG ever. And one of the best games of the last decade. Who said that AAA games are dead?

:D

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Wow. Have played this for about 10 hours now.

Ok, the story is very ... meh.

That said, it's a straight-up sequel to Dragon Quest VIII. It's mostly the same. And all the changes I've seen so far were improvements. Yay!

It looks gorgeous. Just as campy, with a generous helping of Dragon Ball sauce. And mostly the same, but much better. Well, less gritty. Everything is happy.

It's more on rails, the areas are like strings of islands, and you can often only go one way. That's probably what I like least. But, it's still pretty big, and it does leave lots of room for sidetracking. Although you get everywhere if you just follow the plot.

The port is ... ok. It could have been done much better, but it all works and I have no real complaints. I play with a controller, obviously.

Best JRPG ever. And one of the best games of the last decade. Who said that AAA games are dead?

:D
Just you wait--it will get even better. I don't even think the story is meh, it just takes a while (in true dq fashion)

SymbolicFrank

Magister
I have been experimenting with getting the best graphical settings for a GeForce 1050Ti 4GB at 1920*1080. I first tried the ones from aweigh, but that is about the opposite of what I want: it makes everything look blurry and washed out. For an optimal, sharp picture I would recommend these settings in Engine.ini:

Code:
[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.VirtualTexture=1
r.ViewDistanceScale=1
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.1
r.LightFunctionQuality=1
r.ShadowQuality=5
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=4
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=1024
r.Shadow.TexelsPerPixel=10
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.03
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=1.0
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=1.0
r.DistanceFieldShadowing=1
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=False
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=2
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.5
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.Upscale.Quality=3
r.SSR.Quality=3
r.Streaming.MipBias=0
r.MaxAnisotropy=8
r.Streaming.PoolSize=2000

[SystemSettings]
r.VirtualTexture=1
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=2
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.5
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=400
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=2
r.BloomQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=7
r.Upscale.Quality=3
r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=1
r.SSR.Quality=3
r.Streaming.MipBias=0
r.MaxAnisotropy=8
r.Streaming.PoolSize=2000
r.DistanceFieldShadowing=1

Unfortunately, that only works at 30fps on my card, but you can max all the in-game settings. I wasn't able to get satisfactory results at 60fps. But it looks really crisp and no stuttering.

The only things I would change for another card are the Streaming.PoolSize, which should be half your video RAM in MB, and the ViewDistanceScale, which determines the CPU/GPU load (lower is faster, higher is better).

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Btw, a probably very obvious ease of life improvement: put your hero in the third spot of the lineup for the automatic best camera angle during battles.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
Btw, a probably very obvious ease of life improvement: put your hero in the third spot of the lineup for the automatic best camera angle during battles.
The spot in the lineup has gameplay implications, though, so that's not always optimal, alas.
Thanks, I didn't know.
Enemies are more likely to target people in front. It doesn't affect abilities that hit everyone, but it's wise to put the people with the best defense up front to take melee hits.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The spot in the lineup has gameplay implications, though, so that's not always optimal, alas.
Thanks, I didn't know.
Enemies are more likely to target people in front. It doesn't affect abilities that hit everyone, but it's wise to put the people with the best defense up front to take melee hits.
Yes, that's what I expected. I tried putting hero first, but it was really inconvenient and I haven't seen an event where they talk to the char in the first slot, instead of hero. So, he's still in third place.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thanks, I didn't know.
Yes, that's what I expected. I tried putting hero first, but it was really inconvenient and I haven't seen an event where they talk to the char in the first slot, instead of hero. So, he's still in third place.

I played this game for over 100 hours and I have no idea what you mean by this. My MC spent all of part 1 in slot 1 and 99% of part 2 in second spot and I never noticed anything inconvenient about it. They always show the MC as the avatar regardless of slot and cutscenes are not affected at all by order, so what do you gain by putting him in third place?

LJ40

Cipher
I played this game for over 100 hours and I have no idea what you mean by this. My MC spent all of part 1 in slot 1 and 99% of part 2 in second spot and I never noticed anything inconvenient about it. They always show the MC as the avatar regardless of slot and cutscenes are not affected at all by order, so what do you gain by putting him in third place?

Edit - Should add that this only really helps if you set it to classic camera mode for battles (which you should. Free form camera is fucking stupid).

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Yes, I saw that. That's it? Maybe I played with the other camera option then, because my camera always showed whichever character was acting and there was no need at all to change places in order to get a better view of the MC's appalling 90's curtain haircut. Perhaps instead of changing the order around, change the camera option?

*Edit*- Ah, I see a sneaky edit on the post above. So wait a second. Classic camera only really shows you the character in slot 3 in combat, and yet free-form camera is the one that's 'fucking stupid'?

:backawayslowly:

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Sup bros, I'm having a wonderful time with this title. It's been a long time since I've played an JRPG (probably since I was a little one playing Pokemon on the gameboy).

Anyway, can someone explain the story behind the music? Am I correct in thinking that much of the music was previously used for older titles and re-purposed for this one? Did the orchestra mod simply copy and paste the songs from older DQ games to fit the new one?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
Sup bros, I'm having a wonderful time with this title. It's been a long time since I've played an JRPG (probably since I was a little one playing Pokemon on the gameboy).

Anyway, can someone explain the story behind the music? Am I correct in thinking that much of the music was previously used for older titles and re-purposed for this one? Did the orchestra mod simply copy and paste the songs from older DQ games to fit the new one?

The orchestra mod is cobbled together from soundtrack albums done by the series composer. He makes them put midi in the actual games because otherwise there'd be no reason to buy the albums and he wouldn't get quite as much money. There's live/symphonic versions of basically everything by now, so that's how they were able to put it together.

Ivan

Arcane
So would you say there is no new, "original" music for the new title. It's all from old compositions?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
There is some new music, too, like the overworld theme and some other stuff. But yes, mostly the soundtrack is from older games, and a lot of it is from DQ3 specifically. That's the most popular one in Japan and the one they have the most nostalgia for. Quite a bit of DQ11 involves references to DQ3, including the six orbs thing and the legendary heroes being made up of character classes from that game.

Vorark

Erudite
Picked up XI again only to have shit fucked up by Jasper. That fight at the port was a crapshoot.

First time Veronica was knocked out before I could even cast Sap on him, then he got Sylvando which meant I lost Oomph and couldn't dish out the pain. Ended up out damaged and got wiped out. Second time, after having to sneak all over the place again and rewatch the cutscenes (arrgh), was smooth sailing until he critically hit the hero and shutted Veronica down with Fuddle. Most of Sylv's attacks were being parried and then he got hit by a Zam spell, Veronica following him soon after. Serena was the only one left standing, heavily damaged and without sp left. I prayed for RNGesus that her spear attack would connect -- and it did. Took the bitch down!

Fuck this cheater, only managed to cast Fuddle on him twice! I think he might be immune to Dazzle and Deccelerate, couldn't get either to hit even after using Veronica's Spooky Aura. :argh:

SymbolicFrank

Magister

Yes, I saw that. That's it? Maybe I played with the other camera option then, because my camera always showed whichever character was acting and there was no need at all to change places in order to get a better view of the MC's appalling 90's curtain haircut. Perhaps instead of changing the order around, change the camera option?

*Edit*- Ah, I see a sneaky edit on the post above. So wait a second. Classic camera only really shows you the character in slot 3 in combat, and yet free-form camera is the one that's 'fucking stupid'?

:backawayslowly:

No. If you put your hero in the third slot and use the default (classic?) camera mode, you see all the combatants on the screen at the same time. No need to keep moving the camera around all the time.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Ok. I've played for 57 hours so far. A bit after the start of the second act.

I still think they story is mostly .. meh. Basic Chosen One against all odds. And all the plot twists are obvious. Like just about any other RPG.

The low point was when I met Sylvando: yet another SJW homo. But, I have to say, that he turned out to be the highlight of the game so far. Pretty cool.

And while the game is quite on rails, which I don't like, I do appreciate the choices you can make.

I stopped playing for a day after the end of the first part, but it picked back up and I'm still enjoying it.

Curratum

Did they patch it just so it breaks orchestral OST mod support? My game would not launch anymore, I had to reinstall.

Curratum

Thanks for the info, folks! I wasn't aware they updated the mod.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
About the story: it's strange.

For starters: most things are very European. Like, the faces, dresses, armor, weapons and religions. But there are some things that might make sense in Japan (like, the mermaid quest, or Erik's), but leave me very puzzled. And others that are just a bit off.

On the one hand, I like it that they go back and show the history of many things.

But on the other hand, it's all too much good vs. evil, and "power" working like a battery: you take it out something and store it in yourself. Yes, yes, I know that is the common superhero/dragonballs way of it, but it's still stupid. It looked like that in DQ8, but it wasn't: the scepter had a life of it's own. So, it's much more generic fantasy this way around.

But, it does pick up in the second act.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom