Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Well damn, I thought they might undo a certain plot twist, but I didn’t expect what actually happened. Huh.
I agree. I didn't like it. Really took the weight out of everything that had happened; none of the characters grew or learned anything as a result of their hardship and sacrifices. All that meaning and personal growth just evaporated.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Well damn, I thought they might undo a certain plot twist, but I didn’t expect what actually happened. Huh.
I agree. I didn't like it. Really took the weight out of everything that had happened; none of the characters grew or learned anything as a result of their hardship and sacrifices. All that meaning and personal growth just evaporated.
Yeah, I’m sure the third part is fun combat wise... but I just couldn’t motivate myself to play it for the story. Maybe I’ll come back to it one day.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Yeah, I’m sure the third part is fun combat wise... but I just couldn’t motivate myself to play it for the story. Maybe I’ll come back to it one day.
Same thing happened to me, I couldn't go on any further. I was truly shocked by the game's plot progression and thought it had a lot of emotional heft. That bizarre fanfiction third act really diminishes everything that happened. Too bad, I'm sure I'll come back to it eventually.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New mounts for the Switch version.

Click to enlarge.
D--oYoRW4AANLp8.jpg
D--obbBXUAA_9Ge.jpg
D--ocLxXsAA8Em6.jpg
D--oc9LWkAEruvE.jpg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if all this new stuff will be added to PC/PS4 later on, or maybe a new SKU will be released?
(Lots of screens, put them in quotes spoiler tags.)

Dragon Quest XI S details additional stories
Each character becomes the protagonist of their own story.

Sal Romano29 mins ago181

Square Enix has updated the Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition official website with information on the game’s new stories where each party member becomes the protagonist of their own adventure.

Get the details below.

■ Previously Untold Truths Revealed: New Stories Added

Go on an adventure where each character becomes the protagonist of their own story. Talk to people, explore, find treasure, and fight against formidable foes in a unique new story experience.

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_001.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_002.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_003.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_004.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_005.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_006.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_007.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_008.jpg

■ The Unknown Stories of Your Party Come to Light

(Warning: The following content contains spoilers for the story of Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age.)

From the perspective of each character, find out what happened during the point in the game when the party ends up separated and scattered across the world.

Control Each Character

Move, talk to people, and explore with each character. Enjoy your adventure to the fullest!

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_009.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_010.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_011.jpg

Lead New Parties Into Battle

While some stories have you go at it alone, other stories will have you lead new parties. Formidable foes await!

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_012.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_013.jpg

■ What stories will be told and what truths revealed? Here is a short introduction to the new stories’ contents!

Erik and the Mysterious Partner

Erik is imprisoned in the monsters’ hideout. He seems to be planning an escape with a Healslime named Homirin, but…?

—Erik’s partner is… a Healslime!?

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_014.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_015.jpg

The Traveling Performer of Hope

Sylvando visits Gondolia, where he comes across people being harassed by thieves, so he takes action to turn things around.

—Who is Sylvando with…?

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_016.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_017.jpg

The Noble War Princess Jade

Jade, who visits Octagonia, is imprisoned in another world by Booga…

—How will the fight between Jade and Booga unfold!?

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_018.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_019.jpg

Rab and the Kingdom of Fortune

Rab, who charges at a bunny he runs into in a mysterious world, ends up at an unexpected and nostalgic place…

—Where is Rab rushing to…!?

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_020.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_021.jpg

A Hendrik and Jasper Story, Too!

A dark shadow appears in Heliodor Castle. Hendrick calls to the shadow and says, “…is that you, Jasper?”

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_022.jpg

DQ11S-Website_07-22-19_023.jpg

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition is due out for Switch worldwide on September 27.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Is Persona 5 like this? Explore overworld, tackle dungeons, advance narrative, recruit new compas, fight big baddie at the end? I hear it has a more "social" element, are these akin to Dragon Age's fireside chats as you explore the world?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Is Persona 5 like this? Explore overworld, tackle dungeons, advance narrative, recruit new compas, fight big baddie at the end? I hear it has a more "social" element, are these akin to Dragon Age's fireside chats as you explore the world?
They are both Japanese and turn-based, but they are very different. Imo. Dragon Quest XI is an old school RPG which I liked enough to be interested in picking up the Switch version in the future (16 bit graphics and extra content). Persona 5 has different phases. Social life, where you improve ranks with confidants, do activities to raise social stats and other crap. You also have the dungeon phases that unlock as you progress through the story. There is also a big dungeon with many floors for side requests and grinding levels/money.

I enjoy both games. I'm currently playing P5 and will then continue my DQXI playthrough (44h in). With that said, it's no certain that one will like A just because one likes B in this game.

P5 is a very long game. Prepare for 100h or more. Do you mind anime, teenagers, long ass dungeons and a lot of time doing other things than fighting? Then, maybe P5 is not for you. If not, you may want to stay play it.

Edit: I'm rambling, I know. Social links are very important. They allow you and your party to get new skills and the ability to create better personas.
You do get to recruit companions, but they are not your only social links. One will give you a discount at her medical for instance. You can get part-time jobs. There's a time management aspect to this.

You do recruit companions and go to dungeons and defeat baddies, though.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
With every Persona game they expand the social element of the game, which is fine by me. They also expand everything else

Ivan

Arcane
Thanks bros, color me intrigued. I also hear they have particularly great soundtracks, which is a huge criteria of mine.

Vorark

Erudite
I wonder if all this new stuff will be added to PC/PS4 later on, or maybe a new SKU will be released?
(Lots of screens, put them in quotes spoiler tags.)

I would be surprised if Square-Enix didn't pull another Nier Automata GOTY. Wanna buy it? Remove the original and buy it again! :argh:

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Not remotely. Instead of exploring an overworld, you go on dates or something

LJ40

Cipher
Fucking hell. Played all the way through on PC and this is still the game I'm most excited for this year.

I feel like a tool throwing money at Square Enix and Nintendo but screw it. I'll be their tool.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Fucking hell. Played all the way through on PC and this is still the game I'm most excited for this year.

I feel like a tool throwing money at Square Enix and Nintendo but screw it. I'll be their tool.

Understandable. I still play VIII (50 hours in) and I'm just relaxed and happy. The formula just works.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Not remotely. Instead of exploring an overworld, you go on dates or something

Well you do explore the overworld for quests, jobs, things to do with confidants, equipment (or usables or gifts) to buy, special occasions to increase stats etc etc.

But its all completely detached from combat. The combat only takes place in the theme dungeons and in the big metaverse subway dungeon in which you also solve those sidequests.

This all sounds a bit strange to someone who hasnt played a Persona game before but it actually works pretty well. Tokyo is also designed really beautifully so to me it was a joy to explore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom