Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Syril, Dec 2, 2011.

1. mogwaimon Learned

mogwaimon
    The original game on the 360 before Dark Arisen came out was pretty difficult, I recall having a lot of trouble just going through the bandit country in early levels and having trouble with the white wolves. At least for me, anyway. After it came out on PC and I played Dark Arisen for the first time, I felt like the game was a lot easier since I wasn't dying anywhere near as often as I did back in the day, at least not until I got to post-game. DA's base post-game felt harder than the original's post-game did.

Still, some of this can be discounted through me having played the game before, but before I played the PC port the last time I did DD was basically the first month or two after it came out, so it's a fairly significant gap of time.

^ Top  
  2. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    It's not unprecedented. Kingdoms of Amalur's demo was a lot harder than the actual game, retards complained, then the full game was made significantly easier.

Sometimes it works out well, IIRC Dragon Age 2 demo was full of hp bloated monstrousities, which they toned down a bit in the full game.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    You either talked to him a lot, gave him a bunch of gifts, or did a lot of quests for him, or some combination of the above. The game has a few waifus whose quest lines set them up pretty well to be your beloved, but people who grind a ton tend to get merchants.

Have fun with BBI. Should be some fun surprises for you in there, try not to get spoiled.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. PirateScum Educated

PirateScum
    Considering how early you can complete his quest and send him off to the mainland and how many potential waifus (e.g. Fournival) you can interact with before the fight with Grigori.
    I'd say this is true love!

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Love the BBI combat music

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. mogwaimon Learned

mogwaimon
    Show Spoiler
    yea me too

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    So you completed Valmiro's quest-line but couldn't be bothered to finish the quest-lines of Madeleine, Aelinore, or Quina (which guarantee you reach max affinity with them), or to raise your affinity with Selene or Mercedes? :M
    :updatedmytxt:

Anyway, now that you're in the post-game, you can chase off Valmiro by punching him or throwing him into the sea, and replace him with someone else as your Arisen's Beloved for the game's true ending.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    don't know who aelinore is. The last time I saw Quina was in the witch woods quest, while I did the quest where I tailed some guy that met Madeleine. I didn't know there were extra quests for them and I even saw Madeleine multiple times.

Valmero's last quest was random. I was in the fishing village and just did it because I already had 3 of 4 items. I found the Ambrosial meat from a Griffon or Cockatrice afterwards.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. mogwaimon Learned

mogwaimon
    to be fair you can technically miss Aelinore if you ignore her maid upon first visit to the castle, but it's pretty rare. Lot of the sidequest chains can be pretty easy to miss, but Aelinore's questline is shoved right in your face so the beloved often ends up being her. If you somehow miss her then it's usually Fournival if you got him found innocent at the trial, but Valmiro is, well, pretty odd for a first time playthrough to have as the beloved.

It's gender neutral who the beloved is, Grigori just pulls whoever you happen to have the highest affinity with at the time. If you have max affinity with more than one person, I think it goes by whoever you spoke to last or, if you've obtained it, whomever you've given a certain ring to.

Oh, right, we probably should have told you especially since you're playing sorcerer, but there is a way to keep the Wyvernking Ring (sic) from that one quest. It gives a nice bonus to spellcasting, so it's neat, but being a key item....well, I'd suggest you look into the services of the man who sells DLC gear on your next run of the game if you want to keep it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Madeleine's final quest happens when you go visit her shop prior to killing the dragon. Quina's second and final quests happen if you go to the charred woods chapel from the midgame onwards.

The opportunity windows open and close by main quest completion.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    The Arisen's Bond raises the affinity of the recipient to the "max affinity" level, but it doesn't guarantee the recipient will be selected as the Arisen's Beloved.

Aelinore is the wife of Duke Edmund. As you are departing from the castle after your first audience with the Duke, Aelinore is automatically placed in the garden by the entrance and the camera briefly focuses on her to direct your attention. Even finishing this initial conversation with her raises her affinity to a high level, much less concluding her two quests.

Quina has a quest or two if you visit her in the Abbey later in the game. She departs Gransys after her last quest, but it's possible to complete this just before the part of the main quest where the Beloved is selected (as with Aelinore's final quest).

Madeleine has a final quest after she abandons her shop, which is triggered by reaching a certain point in the main quest. As with Quina and Aelinore, Madeleine disappears from the game after this quest (though she'll always reappear in the "post-game" stage, either in the Cassardis Inn or in the field inside Gran Soren), but also as with the other two her final quest can be completed just before the part of the main quest when the Beloved is selected, to minimize the risk of someone else being chosen.

Selene moves to the Arisen's house in Cassardis after the second quest involving her is completed.

Mercedes unfortunately leaves for her homeland after completion of a certain part of the main quest involving her, which means greater care must be taken for her to become the Arisen's Beloved.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Hyperion Magister

Hyperion
    You didn't invade milady's privates? Or help the bleating she-goat? So many missed quests, so little time.

Also, don't listen to these heathens, Feste es waifu numero uno.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Went to BBI. I kicked some ass and got my ass kicked.

• Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    After maxing vocation for Sorcerer, I switched back to Assassin just due to greater control and to rack up level up points to later switch back to Sorcerer and get the rest of the spells I wanted. oh boy was that a bad idea.

So BBI is based on 8 different dungeons inside a big dungeon that is progressively unlocked through keys, correct?

So far, the first two floors have been regular enemies until the grim reaper appeared out of nowhere with 8 health bars, made my partners go to sleep fought for like 20 seconds and disappeared.

I guess this is the "hardcore" Dragon's Dogma, because I'm facing health sponge versions of just about every other base game enemy but with weaker versions of those enemies sprinkled here and there. Same thing has happened in the base game where nearly all enemies I've encountered have been buffed. Bigger goblins, more drakes are around now, the wolves have been changed to fire spitting hellhounds, harpies have become gargoyles.

BBI fucked me when I was inside and saw the cyclops chained to a wall, I went into a cave and came out and an undead dragon spawned with 9 health bars that I barely did any damage to, so I fleed. Too bad there was an "Elder Ogre" who is the same as a regular ogre but with 8 health bars and the twist of it going after male foes instead of females like regular ogres. This thing killed me so many times, it was embarassing.

The problem is that I have two sorcerer pawns and they're too dumb to use their OP magics even when I provide them with an opening. I really fucking hate when a pawn is casting a spell and just stops to start walking around the enemy. So the fight took a good 20 minutes or so, I left BBI, and just switched to a Sorcerer myself. In Gransys we came across a Drake and we killed the shit out of it, by me hitting it with too many spells for it to handle. Gicel is very effective against its heart.

^ Top  
  15. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    I think it's mentioned in a loading screen tip or something like that, but there's actually a day/night cycle in BBI as well, even though it's not visually apparent. It'll influence which monsters show up. There's a lot of hidden stuff in the dungeon, and the later levels will have legit new enemies instead of just tankier old shit. The arena sections have a wide variety of stuff in them as well, if you feel like just murdering some random shit or need odd materials for gear upgrades.

^ Top  
  16. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    There have been 2 or 3 new enemies. The reaper and this giant hog/pig/dog thing. They can spawn if you have this rare beast steak I found, but I removed it from my inventory. I don't know if it will change anything.

^ Top  
  17. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    git gud scrub

lrn 2 sorc

^ Top  
  18. Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Bitterblack Isle is divided into three main sections, each of which contains a number of levels. You'll know when you've reached the "boss" fight at the end of each section.

If you haven't yet investigated the new Everfall, you should spend some time there fighting a nice variety of monsters and leveling up before returning to BBI. You can also find and/or purchase good weapons and armor there (though not as advanced as can be found in the later sections of BBI, of course).

If you're thinking of rancid bait meat, that only works if you place it on the ground.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Valky Cipher Manlet

Valky
    Magic archer in BBI is acid trip tier levels of insanity. Nothing beats its sheer level of fun.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    The only problem with that is the gear is stupidly rare, which is why I didn't suggest it. Sorc is pretty viable, exequy is great for a lot of areas, and most of the spells have a niche to fill in there somewhere.

Don't worry about doing the everfall. It's a relatively boring setup where you basically grind through random encounters and get a million wakestones thrown at you which suck all the challenge out of the game. I think it has like 2 enemies you don't see anywhere else?

^ Top  
  21. Modron Arcane

Modron
    I enjoyed Ranger a lot more than Magic Archer, I didn't care for the lock on system over actually aiming so was disappointed when I got around to actually playing that hyped class.

^ Top  
  22. fork Erudite

fork
    Yeah, it's quite boring, but with high magic attack it's op af.

^ Top  
  23. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    I find it more interesting since you've got a variety of attacks to use instead of just spamming the same arrow skill on every enemy.

^ Top  
  24. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    So I went to Everfall. Lol, it's the most insane and ridiculous part of the game. Infinte floors of falling down a giant hole in the earth for farming wakestones. I got about 35 before I stopped, but I found some new interesting hentai tentacle monsters.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    I'm guessing that if I give these 20 wakestones, I'll beat the game.

I'm level 60, should I instead go to BBI?

• Yes Yes x 5
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)