Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Modron

Arcane
Magic archer in BBI is acid trip tier levels of insanity. Nothing beats its sheer level of fun.
I enjoyed Ranger a lot more than Magic Archer, I didn't care for the lock on system over actually aiming so was disappointed when I got around to actually playing that hyped class.

Kitchen Utensil

Yeah, it's quite boring, but with high magic attack it's op af.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I find it more interesting since you've got a variety of attacks to use instead of just spamming the same arrow skill on every enemy.

sullynathan

Arcane
So I went to Everfall. Lol, it's the most insane and ridiculous part of the game. Infinte floors of falling down a giant hole in the earth for farming wakestones. I got about 35 before I stopped, but I found some new interesting hentai tentacle monsters.

sullynathan

Arcane
What is the dog looking monster that only spawns in bbi? I was scared as shit a day ago fighting it but now that I'm a sorcerer it went down quickly.

I shuffled through my high rank spells tell I used fulmination which started easily killing it. Lightning is its weakness, same for an elder ogre which I just fought.

How long does it take for pawns to start fighting this out and copying the player to only use/ comment that a monster is weak to a certain element?

Damned Registrations

There's a page in the pawn's stats somewhere that shows how many times a pawn has been in a party that killed X monster, and they can get up to 3 ranks vs each. The required numbers are generally outrageous for single player, they're balanced for people renting their pawns out to eachother and even then a fair bit too high. I can't recall exact numbers but it's double digits even for big rare monsters.

The big dog monster is a Garm. IIRC it's vulnerable to petrification as well, I actually had a cockatrice kill one for me I think. Fulmination does indeed totally wreck them.

The ogre isn't especially weak to lightning AFAIK, they're just much weaker to magic than physical. Comestion tends to work pretty well on them also, and I think maelstorm works at high enough levels. Fulimination is very powerful in general, since it also makes you a sitting duck and drains a fuckton of stamina.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm guessing that if I give these 20 wakestones, I'll beat the game.
Yes, that takes to you the game's finale --- but it does offer a "new game plus" option, which reverts the game world but keeps all levels, equipment, items, skills, etc. acquired in your prior playthrough(s). You would only need to slightly advance the main quest before Olra appears at the Cassardis docks and offers you access to Bitterblack Isle.

I'm level 60, should I instead go to BBI?
You should certainly complete the entirety of Bitterblack Isle. If you want to view the base game's finale sooner rather than later, you can either use the NG+ option or make a backup of your save file.

Hyperion

Arcane
and copying the player to only use/ comment that a monster is weak to a certain element?
Enemy knowledge is learned through finding scrolls (there are none for BBI), killing an absurd number of them, or exploiting and finding every weakness they have. Once you find said weakness, the Pawn will comment on 'finding a new way to fight their ilk,' which will add 1 of the 3 stars to their knowledge.

A Garm's main weakness is its face, and can be staggered with enough hits. Alternatively, a well placed Arc of Deliverance launches it to the fucking moon.

As for elements, Ice and Holy cover 90% of weaknesses in there. There's one enemy in the entire dungeon weak to Dark, but he has hardly any physical defense, so raw P. ATK is almost as good.

Shrimp

Arbiter
If I'm not mistaken some bestiary entries require you to see some of the monsters' attacks as well. That being said, I'm not sure if it's actually required to witness the attacks to max out all 3 stars or if you can complete the bestiary entries solely by killing sufficient monsters and discovering all their weaknesses.

sullynathan

Arcane
Been in BBI. So far the reaper, cursed dragon, super dogs, the golden & silver skeleton knights, sorcerer goblins, the guardian with a hammer, the dark souls chest and giant skeletons are the hardest enemies that magic doesn't roll over.

The most interesting fight was the holy sorcerer that revives a curse dragon. I killed it in under 5 minutes, I guess it wasn't expecting to fight two sorcerers.

Pretty much I neglected high maelstrom because it seemed weak when I used the regular versions or when my pawns used it. Here, I and my pawns dual high maelstrom fucked the sorcerer. Like 3 health bars each one. Too bad he'd disappear & revive the dragon when he took too much damage or else it would've been a shorter fight.

Same spell fucked the skeleton knights too.

I tried out exequy because i had no clue how this spell really worked. I used it on a savage cyclops and it took out 7 health bars in one hit. It's a really powerful spell but that took 1 minute and 40 seconds to cast. It leads to a strength of dragons dogma being that elevation matters in combat.

The giant one eyed ball was terrible. Overall BBI has had greater enemy variety than the base game.

I fought the hydra after leaving BBI and it easily died. Wasn't as strong as what I've been fighting.

Gained about 8 levels so far, now level 68.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

I tried out exequy because i had no clue how this spell really worked. I used it on a savage cyclops and it took out 7 health bars in one hit. It's a really powerful spell but that took 1 minute and 40 seconds to cast.
One of my favourite things about the spell is it's range and stealth aspect. You can wave it around ahead of you while travelling and find all sorts of annoying sneaky shit, and for smaller things like the little floating eyes, leapworms, saurians or goblins you can kill them before they even know you're there. It's definitely got the most cheese potential of all the spells.

As far as elements go, Holy's actual spell is pretty garbage and zapping people with basic staff lasers is lame, so I tend to roll with comestion, which works on a lot of the same targets, like the undead dragons and undead that are dark (maelstrom) resistant. Oh, and the hammer dudes are weak to ice.

Have you fucked around in the arena rooms yet? Most of the cooler fights happen after you've cleared the island once, but the fiend luring incense is for those rooms specifically, and will spawn some pretty crazy encounters.

sullynathan

Arcane
Have you fucked around in the arena rooms yet? Most of the cooler fights happen after you've cleared the island once, but the fiend luring incense is for those rooms specifically, and will spawn some pretty crazy encounters.
I have the fiend luring incense and just remembered I did when going through my storage. I already went through the area so I wasn't sure if I should back track and use it again. The downside is that I don't even know what a fiend is because Dragon's Dogma doesn't show the name of enemies.

I guess I should go back and fight the Gore Cyclops because it's chained on a wall and I can just wait for Exequy to finish. The reason I originally ran away was the cursed dragon coming randomly. One cool thing I found in Everfall was a Cyclops attacking a Golem and doing damage, pretty cool.

One huge missed opportunity are the new enemies not making into the base game.
Enemy knowledge is learned through finding scrolls (there are none for BBI), killing an absurd number of them, or exploiting and finding every weakness they have. Once you find said weakness, the Pawn will comment on 'finding a new way to fight their ilk,' which will add 1 of the 3 stars to their knowledge.
Wiki says you have to kill 300 of these giant skeletons to get 3 Stars for a pawn. Capcom must've been smoking something if they believe anyone has that patience.

Damned Registrations

Capcom must've been smoking something if they believe anyone has that patience.
I think the idea was that a really popular pawn being used by dozens of people would end up learning all the shit and becoming really awesome. Of course, the majority of pawns get used by almost nobody and never learn anything useful.

The incense works just by carrying it into one of the two rooms it effects. There's actually a lot more variety in those rooms without it, but the incense gives you really crazy postgame fights.

sullynathan

Arcane
Maxed Sorcerer Vocation and spells I wanted for my pawn so we both switched. I became Mystic Archer, she became warrior. I left Bitterblack Isle after beating all the othr bosses because the final boss, is just too tough right now and fucked my pawns with his ground blast.

I went back to the open world, just to dragonforge some stuff but drakes either glitch out an keep flying upwards or into and out of the water. I went to everfall instead and fought the ur dragon for the first time, it was unexpected to say the least.

Valmiro won't leave my house even though I've thrown him in the ocean. I'm seriously considering throwing away my pawns too, too much bullshit to always consider or saving them and their bad AI.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I went back to the open world, just to dragonforge some stuff but drakes either glitch out an keep flying upwards or into and out of the water. I went to everfall instead and fought the ur dragon for the first time, it was unexpected to say the least.
Best dragonforging spot is Duskmoon Tower, the second area in BBI. Use Rancid Bait Meat there, that will summon a Cursed Dragon that has 40% chance of dragonforging even 0 stars equipment, and 75% chance for 3 stars

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Valmiro won't leave my house even though I've thrown him in the ocean. I'm seriously considering throwing away my pawns too, too much bullshit to always consider or saving them and their bad AI.
Raise your affinity to "max" with someone else, chase Valmiro away (keep hitting him until he flees), and then talk to that other person. It should work; I was able to do it once.

As for dragon-forging, as already stated, you want to fight the cursed dragons found in BBI for a 40%-75% chance of dragon-forging each equipped item. If you place a piece of rancid bait meat in the courtyard of Duskmoon Tower, a cursed dragon will immediately appear. Not only that, but if you kill it fast enough, you can quickly leave and re-enter that level to spawn a second cursed dragon --- or even a third one.

Machocruz

Arcane
I did most of my dragon forging through repeated Ur Dragon bouts. Probably not the most efficient way, but pretty fun running him with all the different vocations, some harder than others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom