Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I know it's got RPG elements, but let's be honest, it's really a modern day Beat 'Em Up aint it? Kinda like King of the Dragons in 3D
No, it's a RPG. Specifically it's in the hack n slash subgenre like Diablo, Diablo 2, and Nox. Now if you stripped all the RPG stuff out (like Diablo 3 did) it'd be one, but that stuff is there.

I'd imagine if he was making a beat 'em up there'd probably be no stat increase, the classes would be set to pre-made characters, the upgrade system would be like his DMC games, you'd probably have more combos, there'd probably be grapple attacks and specific attacks for downed opponents, and you'd be able to grab things like in Power Stone.
Dragon's Crown, released in 2013, is the best example of a beat-'em-up with RPG elements. Aside from having a choice of characters (which is already standard for beat-'em-ups) and character leveling, the player also chooses how to spend skill points and there are a number of equipment slots, with the weapons and armor varying considerably in their power. However, exploration is the same as in a beat-'em-up, which is to say non-existent other than running through linear levels.

DragonsCrownIGN3.png

Equipment_menu.jpg

Dragon's Dogma is an RPG with some beat-'em-up influences found in its combat system, which differs from the RPG archetype in being real-time action-based, yet still less dependent on the player's physical skill than is the case in beat-'em-ups (or the Souls games, for that matter).
:thumbsup:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Oh, anotger thing, if you play ranger you will be effective with daggers too, so you can change to melee in mid of combat, while MA to do optimal damage should have leveled as sorcerer to increase M attack.

Immolation can do an insane amount of damage, mainly with some daggers that deals dual damage. Some Dagger skills like Grand Scension deals holy damage. Daggers are far from useless to MA.

That said, nothing is better than an longbow with blast arrows, is like have an anti materiel rifle with explosive rounds in a medieval game. With Tenfold Flurry, is like having an automatic 30mm cannon + explosive rounds. IMO With items(special arrows, liquids, conquerors, etc), Rangers > Magick Archers. Without items, Magick Archers > Rangers. I managed to 3HK certain high level bosses on BI post daimon with Ricochet Hunter... Magick Archers can even buff their party magic attack via Magick Rebalancer, using well, is like doubling the Magick Attack and defense of everyone in your party or using 16 Demon's Periapt and 16 Mage's Periapt in 4 quick casts... But IMO new players should try Ranger, is easier to level up(not 60~100 levels of sorcerer leveling) and more important. Far easier to get the best bows. You can get Dragon Glaze literally with less than an hour of gameplay...

Thanks! What is more deep, ranger or magic archer? Also do you think Hard mode is best?

Since i already talked that i think that for new players Rangers is the best, and ranger is also more unique, i mean, you can use most sorcerer skils on other games, but what game allow you to put explosive arrows and fire 10 at once? Rangers are also easier to gear and easier to level up, i recommend ranger. About hard mode, switch when you reach lv 40, 25 if you are finding the game easy. But even rats and bats will deal massive damage upon you if you are low level.. If you decide to be an ranger, before entering hard mode, purchase the Maker's Finger and find some XP boost items. Then on hard mode, use Maker's Finger against the Condemned Gorecyclops earlier on BI and believe on me. You will get a lot of free levels.

edit : i love magick archer but will never recommend it for those who don't enjoy grinding.

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
I played one time as Magick Archer, got disappointed on BI because i found ZERO magick bows, had an big collection of daggers, but no magick bows.

Then re played as an Ranger where i could just get the second best longbow at 20 min in the game

Then re played as a Magick Archer and got blessed by RNGoddess
The weapons aren't random. They go in a certain order. It just depends on your class and the class of your main pawn which weapon you get, but it always goes in order. The only randomness is where you start on the list, but get enough lvl 2 or lvl 3 weapons you'll eventually get a bow. And the list is only like 12 long.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Let's be honest: Ranger mostly has Blast arrows and Tenfold Flurry. And if for some reason that's not enough, one just adds Liquid Vim and Conqueror's Periapts and breaks the game by introducing the medieval-fantasy equivalent of tactical nukes to the battlefield. I love the Ranger vocation.

That said it depends on what you plan to play the game with. Bow aiming with a controller is shit, so you'll want a keyboard and mouse when quick or precise aiming is needed. The game supports both at the same time though so personally I mostly playing with the controller, but quick switched to the mouse as needed.

But honestly, unless you really, absolutely want to minmax on your first run, for some reason, don't stress out vocations. You'll want to level up all of them to gain access to all the perks so you can hilariously combine them into broken builds. On leveling, you gain stats based on your current vocation, hence the minmaxing. The ultimate DPS sorcerer will not want to waste levels to increase physical attributes for example. So there are optimal leveling patterns if you're into that. However, the endgame (BBI) gear has such stat bonuses that it'll vastly make up for all your minmax deficiencies, so I wouldn't stress too much about stats and just play along, switching vocations as you feel like it to gain the perks and enjoy some variations in gameplay. There's no real need to choose between Ranger and Magick Archer when you'll easily be able to be both.
Tenfold with blast arrows is op, but you need to buy and carry blast arrows in first place, and since they weight a lot it's annoying to use them in every fight. Tenfold without blast arrow is good but not always. In bbi you'll find roadblocks while gearing, when 1 arrow damage is below defense threeshold, so tenfold flurry will do 0 damage, while brutal arrow will still do good damage to enemies.
Periapts break the game regardless of vocations, and should be nerfed hard.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The weapons aren't random. They go in a certain order. It just depends on your class and the class of your main pawn which weapon you get, but it always goes in order. The only randomness is where you start on the list, but get enough lvl 2 or lvl 3 weapons you'll eventually get a bow. And the list is only like 12 long.

No, the list is random generated during char creation and you goes advancing. At least is what steam users said... For me in my second MA run, i got the best bow in the 4th purification. But the fact that Rangers can get the Dragon Glaze earlier on, without being blessed by RNGoddess is an HUGE plus, mainly for those who don't wanna risk getting an 12 mi worth of dagger collection and never seeing the bow...

All you civilized dudes not going warrior or even fighter.

Throw "meteors" in the enemies, explosive arrows, be literally on fire(immolation) >>> swing an blade. I usually don't like to play on melee in most games, there are few exceptions

Tenfold with blast arrows is op, but you need to buy and carry blast arrows in first place, and since they weight a lot it's annoying to use them in every fight.

Have an guy 2m+ tall pure muscle guy and you can carry a lot of then. Also, pawns can carry then for you.

Fishy

Savant

No, the list is random generated during char creation and you goes advancing. At least is what steam users said... For me in my second MA run, i got the best bow in the 4th purification

It certainly is set alright. Not sure how the seed works, but the sequence of purification is set in stone at some point. That means you can cheese it by purifying with a vocation colour, seeing what you get, then reloading without saving. Then change vocation colour, re-purify, and write it down. Do this a third time with the last vocation colour and now for each item you have the blue/red/yellow result. Once you have this list of possible purifications, you can pick your vocation colour sequence and get the stuff you prefer. It might take a little while to get the exact one you want but it's not the end of the world as you get the pick of 3 for each purified item. And if you take part in the Steam forum for "active players pawn sharing", you should be swimming in rift crystals for all those purifications by that point of the game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
AoFSzKA.jpg

My stats on END GAME. See how your weapon is an HUGE part of my damage. 581 magical damage without weapon and 2700 thanks to the weapon. More than 80% of the damage comes from the weapon at end game. This is why the easier to gear advantage from RANGERs is such a massive advantage, and note that with magick rebalance, i can get ludicrous amount of damage...

Some screenshots that i've posted on screenshot thread

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Yeah, makes me sad to see this thread up.

Reminds me of the fact that there will never be a true sequel to this game.

What the fuck are you talking about? Itsuno already said alot of times, that his next big project after DMC5 would be DD2.

Or some new take on a fighting game. Given how much he talked about doing a fighting game during DMC5, and how taken he seemed to be with how the stage during the Goliath fight turned out, if it wasn't for that upcoming Dragon's Dogma anime I'd expect his next game to be some kind of Power Stone type of fighting game.

Possibly.
But fighting games usually aren't exactly "big" projects comparatively to other action games with fleshed out campgains.

Even if there will be a "DD2", it will not be the same game.

If Itsuno directs it, I'm sure it will be better.

Grimlorn

Arcane

No, the list is random generated during char creation and you goes advancing. At least is what steam users said... For me in my second MA run, i got the best bow in the 4th purification

It certainly is set alright. Not sure how the seed works, but the sequence of purification is set in stone at some point. That means you can cheese it by purifying with a vocation colour, seeing what you get, then reloading without saving. Then change vocation colour, re-purify, and write it down. Do this a third time with the last vocation colour and now for each item you have the blue/red/yellow result. Once you have this list of possible purifications, you can pick your vocation colour sequence and get the stuff you prefer. It might take a little while to get the exact one you want but it's not the end of the world as you get the pick of 3 for each purified item. And if you take part in the Steam forum for "active players pawn sharing", you should be swimming in rift crystals for all those purifications by that point of the game.
I remember there use to be some sort of table list on the wiki. On your first purification you could switch between all 3 vocations to see the weapon combination and find your spot on the list and then you'd know how many more weapons you'd need to get to the weapon you needed. It worked every time when I played it. Of course it doesn't work for armor. I tried running BBI several times to get the best lvl 3 Assassin set. Would always get the second best set. I think I only ended up getting 1 to 2 pieces before giving up because it was a waste of time.

I could never understand why people couldn't get a magick bow. It would take at MOST 6-8 tries depending on your spot on the list at lvl 2 weapon. Maybe about 4 tries at lvl 3 weapons.

Hyperion

Arcane
Probably because they didn't know they can double their chances at getting one if they save scum using a magic class instead of ranged.

And probably didn't know that each item 'picks' either your Arisen's or main pawn's class archetype to base the item off of.

deuxhero

Arcane
It doesn't have cooldowns for abilities, but it does have cooldowns for being able to meaningfully damage (mini)bosses. After you do enough damage to a boss they go into a rage and take minimal damage from attacks till it ends. Every. Single. Boss.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks deuxhero and hyperion. I would love to try but i lie in "southern cone", no way that i can play any game in a Japanese server with an ping slow than 400ms and 20% packet loss. Is sad that an unique non wow clone who mmo resembles an SP game will be closed

Hunter
Seeker
Elemental archer
Alchemist - How cool and amazing (7:20)
Spirit lancer - IS rare for me to like an melee class but i liked this class

Is sad. How many games allow you to use cooper as an weapon and has this cool interpretation of alchemist???

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Thanks for tips. I think I will go with Magic Archer but I might just try a Mage again. I like tactical combat more than pew pew. I like a lot of abilities.

Yeah, makes me sad to see this thread up.

Reminds me of the fact that there will never be a true sequel to this game.

What the fuck are you talking about? Itsuno already said alot of times, that his next big project after DMC5 would be DD2.

Or some new take on a fighting game. Given how much he talked about doing a fighting game during DMC5, and how taken he seemed to be with how the stage during the Goliath fight turned out, if it wasn't for that upcoming Dragon's Dogma anime I'd expect his next game to be some kind of Power Stone type of fighting game.

Possibly.
But fighting games usually aren't exactly "big" projects comparatively to other action games with fleshed out campgains.

Even if there will be a "DD2", it will not be the same game.

If Itsuno directs it, I'm sure it will be better.

One of the last interviews for DMC5 where he talked about doing a fighting game was him saying something about having an idea to reinvent the single player. What exactly that'd mean if he did that next, or at all, I'm not sure. Although I've always been kind of surprised Capcom never fleshed out their World Tour mode from Alpha 3, (which did the customizable fighter move list about two decades before NetherRealm) and it's always seemed weird to me that a nonlinear version of what Art of Fighting does never happened on consoles, or that the training/fighting setup of Sega's Genesis boxing games never happened either. One of the closest things I can think of to what AoF did was that time management game Punch Club, although they stupidly don't let you actually fight in their fighting themed game...but you could slap that into the time management side of games like Dead Rising and Persona too.

Mostly it makes sense that they've never focused on a big, time consuming, single player for their fighters since they've all basically been made with the arcade in mind first. But they haven't done that since Tatsunoko VS Capcom, and that's been a decade now.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy

Nah, he just said he chose DMC5 over DD2. Of course it makes you think DD2 will be the game after DMC 5, and the above quote from Itsuno suggests DD2 is at least being considered, if not in development, but it's never confirmed or teased.

To be more precise he said that after DD, he really wanted to make both a DMC5 and a DD2.
That's more that enough for confirmation.

Itsuno clearly stated in 2018 that he wants to make Rival Schools 3 next.

“If I was allowed, I’d love to make Rival Schools 3, I’d love to make Dragon’s Dogma 2, Capcom vs SNK 3, Street Fighter Alpha 4, Power Stone 3… If I could, even Street Fighter 6 would be amazing.

But the big one… the one that we need to get resolution on is Rival Schools, because in Japan there are three years of high-school. We have seen the first two years for these kids, so the third one would be their last year in high-school. Wouldn’t that be cool? You end it on their graduation ceremony.”

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
One of the last interviews for DMC5 where he talked about doing a fighting game was him saying something about having an idea to reinvent the single player. What exactly that'd mean if he did that next, or at all, I'm not sure. Although I've always been kind of surprised Capcom never fleshed out their World Tour mode from Alpha 3, (which did the customizable fighter move list about two decades before NetherRealm) and it's always seemed weird to me that a nonlinear version of what Art of Fighting does never happened on consoles, or that the training/fighting setup of Sega's Genesis boxing games never happened either. One of the closest things I can think of to what AoF did was that time management game Punch Club, although they stupidly don't let you actually fight in their fighting themed game...but you could slap that into the time management side of games like Dead Rising and Persona too.

Mostly it makes sense that they've never focused on a big, time consuming, single player for their fighters since they've all basically been made with the arcade in mind first. But they haven't done that since Tatsunoko VS Capcom, and that's been a decade now.

Sonic Battle, Soul Caliber 3, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Fighter Destiny (+ it's sequel).

edit: The Japanese version of Rival Schools 1 and 2 did it. It was cut in the English version because Capcom was too lasy to translate all of it.

Last edited:
Sonic Battle, Soul Caliber 3, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Fighter Destiny (+ it's sequel).

edit: The Japanese version of Rival Schools 1 and 2 did it. It was cut in the English version because Capcom was too lasy to translate all of it.

I'm guessing you're talking about the Fight Lab or whatever it's called in TEKKEN TAG 2? That's nothing like the AoF thing, and it's also completely linear. That was basically just a training mode to teach you how to play the game, a tiny extra being you can change the Combat robots moves around.

In Art of Fighting you have training sections (somewhat like boxing games had if their training was also a minigame) you'll enter into to increase stats after a couple fights. But being a arcade game this is very linear and short. A nonlinear version of what Art of Fighting does would let you freely move around the map (either in real-time like Punch Club, or in turns like Persona) choosing if you wanted to spend your time training for stat increases, learning new moves, or go around fighting.

A console fighting game that's somewhat like a nonlinear version of what AoF does, although not exactly because the training is just putting point you get from fighting into stats directly, would be Def Jam: Fight for NY. Not a console game, but how Karate Master 2 Knock Down Blow is set up is even more like a nonlinear Art of Fighting.

deuxhero

Arcane
Didn't you need to buy ComBot's moves in TTT2 and complete challenges above and beyond the tutorial to even be able to buy certain ones? The others absolutely qualify though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom