Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Kitchen Utensil

Everything in DD is more satisfying than MH. Character creator, combat, build variety, armor/clothing system, characters, world, atmosphere, story, UI, controls, music.

Are MHW's shitty story cutscenes still unskippable btw?

Black Angel

Arcane
I don't know, the two combat system aside from targetable parts seems much different to me. Dd is much more fluid and satisfying. Also the mounting gives you control and it's not a glorified QTE like in mh
I'd say it's up to anyone's taste. Something like DD would satisfy anyone who's looking for more fluid and relatively precise combat, but to me there's something about MH's pre-hunt preparation and stuff that made it intriguing to play in general, giving something entirely different than what I experienced (and loved) from DD.

Anyway, which part of MH has glorified QTE? To be perfectly honest, though, I haven't really played MH:W. I'm speaking from my experience of playing old PSP MH games (and this is many years ago, too), and what part of MH:W I've 'experienced' were those from watching my little brothers playing the game.

sullynathan

Arcane
Everything in DD is more satisfying than MH. Character creator, combat, build variety, armor/clothing system, characters, world, atmosphere, story, UI, controls, music.

Combat and Environmental interaction in World blows Dragon's Dogma out the water. Hopefully, a sequel to DD will take that into consideration with how similar DD is to MH.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I don't know, the two combat system aside from targetable parts seems much different to me. Dd is much more fluid and satisfying. Also the mounting gives you control and it's not a glorified QTE like in mh
I'd say it's up to anyone's taste. Something like DD would satisfy anyone who's looking for more fluid and relatively precise combat, but to me there's something about MH's pre-hunt preparation and stuff that made it intriguing to play in general, giving something entirely different than what I experienced (and loved) from DD.

Anyway, which part of MH has glorified QTE? To be perfectly honest, though, I haven't really played MH:W. I'm speaking from my experience of playing old PSP MH games (and this is many years ago, too), and what part of MH:W I've 'experienced' were those from watching my little brothers playing the game.
I wrote it the post. The mounting in MHW gives you limited options and freedom. It is a level above qte and fun, but still a qte and nowhere near DD mounting

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

I agree. Homewer MH has better weapons identities, much higher skill ceiling and theorically infinite playability ( to master each monster and each weapon)

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

Combat and Environmental interaction in World blows Dragon's Dogma out the water. Hopefully, a sequel to DD will take that into consideration with how similar DD is to MH.
Disagree. Combat in mh is sort of turn based, since it locks you in long animations. I prefer much more DD fast and fluid combat.
What environmental interactions you are talking about? I haven't seen anything special. Just some gimmicks like ammunitions for slinger or traps to trigger hitting them

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Combat in mh is sort of turn based, since it locks you in long animations. I prefer much more DD fast and fluid combat.
Try MHW with Long Swords. Feels tight with occasional moments of clumsiness. Most other weapons do feel like they lock you into things but learning them does make them feel pretty good eventually. MHW is much different interms of feel compared to older Monster Hunters.

sullynathan

Arcane
Disagree. Combat in mh is sort of turn based, since it locks you in long animations. I prefer much more DD fast and fluid combat.
Monster Hunter World has 12 different weapon types. They all feel vastly different in comparison to the different vocations of Dragon's Dogma barring magic.

What environmental interactions you are talking about? I haven't seen anything special. Just some gimmicks like ammunitions for slinger or traps to trigger hitting them
You can climb on environments to do drop attacks, or slide on a slope to do jump attacks. Grab on vines to jump to swing from them to traverse the world and mount monsters. Extreme weather with hot, cold or effluvia which you have to take the right consumable before entering.

There are nine different environmental traps that change depending on environment:

• [*]Flashflies: When struck, these bugs emit a flash of bright light that can stun monsters - strike multiple Flashfliesto simultaneously to create a more intense burst of light.
    [*]Hanging Boulders: Keep your eyes peeled for these hanging clusters of rock trapped in vines, often found hanging at the top of densley-covered groves in the Ancient Forest. Strike them with a shot from your Slinger to drop them on an unsuspecting target.
    [*]Nitrotoads: When struck, these red-colored toads release a spray of volatile liquid that explodes with enough power to stagger even large monsters.
    [*]Paratoads: These yellow-tinted toads will release a cloud of static-charged gas when struck, stunning or fully paralyzing anything caught within the blast radius.
    [*]Poisoncups: These large basin-like flowers contain a venomous nectar that will cause damage to anything it touches - spill the pods to create a pool of poisonous liquid on the ground.
    [*]Sleeptoads: When struck, these blue-colored toads release a spray of gas powerful enough to put large monsters to sleep.
    [*]Sporepuffs: A large free-standing flower, sporepuffs will burst into a thick cloud of smoke-like spores when struck, creating enough cover to disappear from a monster's sight.
    [*]Vine Traps: Lead a large monster into this thicket of tangled vines to ensnare it and temporarily immobilize it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Citing the lack of a jump button forcing you to hop off a ledge to do an air attack, or using a free consumable once every 10 minutes to reduce the rate your stamina gauge is going to shrink as 'environmental interactions' is a bit of a stretch don't you think? Honestly the two games are comparable in that area- MHW has a handful of meaningful environment traps like the stalactites or the vine traps in the forest, and DD has some places where you can knock monsters off cliffs and has actual doors, levers, pressure plates and such incorporated in it's dungeons. They're both pretty disappointing in that regard, but that shit is a pain to do properly so it's basically never see outside of games with graphics from the 80's.

As far as combat goes, MH has more weapon/attack variety, but it loses on generic actions, like jumping, climbing, restraining foes, picking up and throwing allies or small enemies, springboarding an ally, etc.

Where MHW really excels over DD is presentation and game balance. DD has a lot of lazy area design without much detail, and huge design flaws in gameplay like instachugging 3 flasks of spring water (which cost nothing and have an inventory limit measured in dozens) to heal your entire team to full or large subsets of weapons and attacks that are pointless because they can't pierce enemy defenses even a tiny bit.

Machocruz

Arcane
The weapon variety in MH is really pretty great. And, at least for me, they're all fun. Maybe you think you're going to stick to one weapon type (for me it was longsword in MHFU) but then you try one of the others and you start using that all the time. Until you try another one. Then when you've played with them all for a while, maybe you swing back around to sword and shield because that feels unique again after all the other shit. I remember hating on the ranged weapons early in my MH career. Like "bowgun? How lame and cowardly compared to getting in there with a sword as large as a surfboard." But then curiosity got the best of me. Turns out ranged weapons are also fun as hell in these games. Deciding what rounds are best for a particular hunt adds another layer.

Anyway, DD can't compete on that front, as much as I love the game.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Combat in mh is sort of turn based, since it locks you in long animations.
That's fucking retarded and not what turn based means at all. MH is not slow paced at all, even when playing with shield weapons.
I know it's not actually turn based, but your reactivity is more limited compared to say Ds or even more Sekiro and Nioh. Once you give the command, especially for some weapons, you cannot do anything in the next 2 seconds but wait for the animation to end.
Saying that MH is not slow paced means you have not played any other action game

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Combat in mh is sort of turn based, since it locks you in long animations. I prefer much more DD fast and fluid combat.
Try MHW with Long Swords. Feels tight with occasional moments of clumsiness. Most other weapons do feel like they lock you into things but learning them does make them feel pretty good eventually. MHW is much different interms of feel compared to older Monster Hunters.

Y i know. Eventually i just accepted the slower pace and started to main IG ( very fluid) and CB. Dropped the SA since it was too clunky

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Monster Hunter World has 12 different weapon types. They all feel vastly different in comparison to the different vocations of Dragon's Dogma barring magic.

You can climb on environments to do drop attacks, or slide on a slope to do jump attacks. Grab on vines to jump to swing from them to traverse the world and mount monsters. Extreme weather with hot, cold or effluvia which you have to take the right consumable before entering.

There are nine different environmental traps that change depending on environment:

• [*]Flashflies: When struck, these bugs emit a flash of bright light that can stun monsters - strike multiple Flashfliesto simultaneously to create a more intense burst of light.
    [*]Hanging Boulders: Keep your eyes peeled for these hanging clusters of rock trapped in vines, often found hanging at the top of densley-covered groves in the Ancient Forest. Strike them with a shot from your Slinger to drop them on an unsuspecting target.
    [*]Nitrotoads: When struck, these red-colored toads release a spray of volatile liquid that explodes with enough power to stagger even large monsters.
    [*]Paratoads: These yellow-tinted toads will release a cloud of static-charged gas when struck, stunning or fully paralyzing anything caught within the blast radius.
    [*]Poisoncups: These large basin-like flowers contain a venomous nectar that will cause damage to anything it touches - spill the pods to create a pool of poisonous liquid on the ground.
    [*]Sleeptoads: When struck, these blue-colored toads release a spray of gas powerful enough to put large monsters to sleep.
    [*]Sporepuffs: A large free-standing flower, sporepuffs will burst into a thick cloud of smoke-like spores when struck, creating enough cover to disappear from a monster's sight.
    [*]Vine Traps: Lead a large monster into this thicket of tangled vines to ensnare it and temporarily immobilize it.
Jump attack is one of the most basic thing you can do in a action game.
Climates are gimmicky, they all work the same way: you use a consumable and prevent the debuff.
Would have been more immersive if you had to equip certain equip to better traverse an area. Or for example if in the desert you had to fight in shadows to prevent sun to debilitate you.

Some traps are good, like the pitfall one. Others like flash bug are just a consumable put on the map, wich you activate by pressing left/right button instead of the hotkey.

I mean it's not bad, but nothing really revulotionary

sullynathan

Arcane
Citing the lack of a jump button forcing you to hop off a ledge to do an air attack, or using a free consumable once every 10 minutes to reduce the rate your stamina gauge is going to shrink as 'environmental interactions' is a bit of a stretch don't you think? Honestly the two games are comparable in that area- MHW has a handful of meaningful environment traps like the stalactites or the vine traps in the forest, and DD has some places where you can knock monsters off cliffs and has actual doors, levers, pressure plates and such incorporated in it's dungeons. They're both pretty disappointing in that regard, but that shit is a pain to do properly so it's basically never see outside of games with graphics from the 80's.
I'd think it'd be pretty obvious to not compare dungeon design because MH lacks them.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Combat in mh is sort of turn based, since it locks you in long animations.
That's fucking retarded and not what turn based means at all. MH is not slow paced at all, even when playing with shield weapons.
I know it's not actually turn based, but your reactivity is more limited compared to say Ds or even more Sekiro and Nioh. Once you give the command, especially for some weapons, you cannot do anything in the next 2 seconds but wait for the animation to end.
Saying that MH is not slow paced means you have not played any other action game
Correct, MH is not slow paced at all. Where do you braindead souls faggots come from?

Vorark

Erudite
MH used to be slow paced and methodical, almost puzzle-like during 2nd gen. Combat mechanics were revamped during 3rd gen and since then each generation increases the speed. Just watch a video of dual blades in MHFU and compare it to Portable 3rd or 3U.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'd think it'd be pretty obvious to not compare dungeon design because MH lacks them.
What's your point? It's just another kind of environment. There's no reason MHW couldn't have had ways to manipulate the environment. The only example I can think of is the dam in the forest you can break to reveal a new area. They should have had more stuff like that instead of making everything open up through scripted sequences and making all the areas static.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
MH's weapons have lots of variety and the combat system itself has complexity, but the actual monster fights have always bored me to tears. The monsters are huge HP sponges, so it's just "beat on monster until it runs away" and repeat 2-4 more times. I did play it for 100 hours, so I'm not going to claim it's a bad game, but I never really enjoyed its monster battles that much.

DD is way more fun. There's way more variety in the sorts of encounters you face and you frequently have to strategize to survive. You can also actually get powerful by the end of the game, which was something that was lacking in MH, which was designed to be played perpetually. DD just has an awesome arc, where you will be destroyed for about 3/4 of the game, then suddenly get powerful, then face a whole new series of challanges, before becoming powerful again (provided you maximize your build properly), although you will never get so powerful that the fights become trivial. Plus, I really love its "co-op elements, but not real co-op" pawn system. Wish more games would use it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm with you up until here:

although you will never get so powerful that the fights become trivial.

There are a number of different ways to become so powerful the fights are trivial. It's still fun, but in a god mode sort of way. Like go play around with a sorcerer based magick archer and ricochet shot in BBI. It's kind of hilarious and fun to kill Death from around a corner or two before you even know it's there, but I think that's the definition of fights becoming trivial.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I'm with you up until here:

although you will never get so powerful that the fights become trivial.

There are a number of different ways to become so powerful the fights are trivial. It's still fun, but in a god mode sort of way. Like go play around with a sorcerer based magick archer and ricochet shot in BBI. It's kind of hilarious and fun to kill Death from around a corner or two before you even know it's there, but I think that's the definition of fights becoming trivial.
Maybe I was doing something wrong but those living armors in BBI would NOT fucking die. With MA I had to stunlock their assholes for like a solid 45 minutes with ricochet shots on full blast to deplete their health.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom