Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'm with you up until here:

although you will never get so powerful that the fights become trivial.

There are a number of different ways to become so powerful the fights are trivial. It's still fun, but in a god mode sort of way. Like go play around with a sorcerer based magick archer and ricochet shot in BBI. It's kind of hilarious and fun to kill Death from around a corner or two before you even know it's there, but I think that's the definition of fights becoming trivial.
Maybe I was doing something wrong but those living armors in BBI would NOT fucking die. With MA I had to stunlock their assholes for like a solid 45 minutes with ricochet shots on full blast to deplete their health.
They had a magic immune component iirc, and magic bow attacks were all entirely magic damage. You needed to use both types to kill them quickly.

Black Angel

Arcane
I don't know, the two combat system aside from targetable parts seems much different to me. Dd is much more fluid and satisfying. Also the mounting gives you control and it's not a glorified QTE like in mh
I'd say it's up to anyone's taste. Something like DD would satisfy anyone who's looking for more fluid and relatively precise combat, but to me there's something about MH's pre-hunt preparation and stuff that made it intriguing to play in general, giving something entirely different than what I experienced (and loved) from DD.

Anyway, which part of MH has glorified QTE? To be perfectly honest, though, I haven't really played MH:W. I'm speaking from my experience of playing old PSP MH games (and this is many years ago, too), and what part of MH:W I've 'experienced' were those from watching my little brothers playing the game.
I wrote it the post. The mounting in MHW gives you limited options and freedom. It is a level above qte and fun, but still a qte and nowhere near DD mounting
Like I said, I haven't really played MH:W and only speaking in terms of what I saw from my brothers playing the game, so I'll take yours and others words for it. The mounting in MH:W does seemed like very limited in options, which is strange considering the things you can do in DD. Still weird how that counts as 'glorified QTE' to you because there are no prompts or animations like usual QTEs. It's like saying Sekiro has glorified QTE just because you can counter certain moves using certain moves.

You can also actually get powerful by the end of the game, which was something that was lacking in MH, which was designed to be played perpetually. DD just has an awesome arc, where you will be destroyed for about 3/4 of the game, then suddenly get powerful, then face a whole new series of challanges, before becoming powerful again (provided you maximize your build properly), although you will never get so powerful that the fights become trivial.
I agree with you in general and on the basis of my personal experience, but I still need to share these:

And of course:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DD on Netflix: "discover the epic world of Gransys, full of magic, action and terrifying monsters like gay dragons, transexual Chimeras and feminist cockatrices."

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
DD on Netflix: "discover the epic world of Gransys, full of magic, action and terrifying monsters like gay dragons, transexual Chimeras and feminist cockatrices."
Are you implying gay, trans and feminists are monsters? You Hitler.

As i already wrote
It will be full of trans and gays. The main quest will involve killing all dragons because with their farts they increase the warming of the kingdom, possible leading to snow saurians

Btw the real antagonists will be some billionair wich recently entered the politic, with orange hair and wallbuilding obsessions.
His minions are a society of fanatical definitely not-catholics wich want to burn Selene

I might also add, mercedes will annhilate the baguette in the duel

Last edited:

Gibson

Learned
My favorite part of Dragon's Dogma was the cyberpunk setting.

the charname is actually plugged in Matrix-style and you're playing just as his, and I quote: "residual self image. It is the mental projection of your digital self."

In the possible sequel he'll realize the truth, but Trinity will be a black gay tranny and Morpheus a Mexican

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom