Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have a strong feeling that Dragon's Dogma 2 is going to be announced at the game awards.
I just hope DD2 remains more story oriented. DD was an absolute blast up to Cassardis, and then it felt like hitting a brick wall. Sure, combat was enjoyable enough to play along, but from there it just felt like abandoned MMO filled with shoestring content.

Disagree, the main quests are fine overall for an unfinished action oriented RPG. Even there are some great ones.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I just bought this in the GOG sale and played up until arriving in Gran Soren. Questions:

1) I am a fighter and my pawn is a mage. Is there any reason not to change to advanced / hybrid vocations? It feels very early in the game to be doing so, but we're already high enough level and have the required discipline points.

2) A bunch of DLC items just dropped into my storage. Would I be making a serious mistake if I just sold them for cash? I loathe pre-order item bonuses, DLC item packs, and everything of the sort, but I don't want to fuck up my game by getting rid of something important.

Kitchen Utensil

1) No, change vocations whenever you feel like it. The Augments you unlock carry over between vocations.
2) Sell whatever you want. I'd keep the Eternal Ferrystone though. Important items you lose somehow or sell by mistake can be bought back at the Black Cat in Gran Soren.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
1) I am a fighter and my pawn is a mage. Is there any reason not to change to advanced / hybrid vocations? It feels very early in the game to be doing so, but we're already high enough level and have the required discipline points.
You might want to obtain augments that require a high rank in the basic vocations to unlock, since any augments unlocked for a character can be used regardless of current vocation, but otherwise you might as well switch. In my games, by the time I confronted the Dragon I was already well into my third vocation, but that was after reaching maximum rank (i.e. rank 9) in the first two vocations.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Advanced and Hybrid Vocations aren't strictly better than the Basic Vocations. They are merely more specialized and outright different, respectively. If you're a Fighter who likes to use a Shield, then you won't become a Warrior. Maybe a Mystic Knight, but thats a different thing.

deuxhero

Arcane
In particular, only mages can heal effectively.

Edit:

1:42

Itsuno ends accepting his award with shouting "DMC is back!". Wonder if that's referring to DMC5 or saying his new project is DMC6.

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
The RPG elements in Dragon's Dogma can be ignored. They're just there not to overwhelm beginning players with all potential variants and playstyles. Just level up all vocations to unlock everything and then equip whatever equipment makes the gameplay most enjoyable. There's some cool gameplay altering stuff from the black cat.

Fishy

Savant
As others said, have fun with all vocations. Each one will unlock skills and augments that can be used by other classes, paving the way for better builds.

And honestly, don't stress about the stats you gain when leveling and which depend on your currently active vocation. It's important if you really really want to min-max the ultimate build, but otherwise it won't matter a bit. The endgame (BBI) gear is so hilariously overloaded with stat bonuses that even a pure fighter can have a field day as a sorcerer with that stuff.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Fighter felt a bit stiff and clunky to me so I rerolled as a Strider. Huge difference! The dodge roll and reset skills almost feel like cheat codes. Been effective still just playing with me and my main pawn.

We both just maxed vocations so I'm interested in reclassing. Considering going with Ranger, Assassin, or Magick Archer so as to build on what I already have, but none really jumps out as a clear choice. I mostly rely on melee with ranged as a supplement. Also thinking my pawn needs to stay put since only a Mage can heal. So who knows?

Overall the game has its quirks and is a bit of a slow starter, but now I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Fighter felt a bit stiff and clunky to me so I rerolled as a Strider. Huge difference! The dodge roll and reset skills almost feel like cheat codes. Been effective still just playing with me and my main pawn.

We both just maxed vocations so I'm interested in reclassing. Considering going with Ranger, Assassin, or Magick Archer so as to build on what I already have, but none really jumps out as a clear choice. I mostly rely on melee with ranged as a supplement. Also thinking my pawn needs to stay put since only a Mage can heal. So who knows?
Use a support pawn for magical healing, if you can't get along without it, and switch your Mage to Sorcerer for the powerful offensive spells (also don't underestimate miasma and lassitude). For your Arisen's vocation, Ranger is generally better at ranged attacks and worse at melee relative to Strider, whereas Assassin (using bow and daggers) is the opposite, so you might first try the former and then switch to the latter.

Overall the game has its quirks and is a bit of a slow starter, but now I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
:incline:

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

Magic archer is basically a mage that use a bow as a catalyst. His bow abilities are basically spells.
Assassin is focused on melee, and use bow as a backup.
Ranger is the ultimate archer roleplay. All sort of ranged bow skills.
You could always max all 3 and stick with what you like more.
Don't think about stats progression of vocations or you'll enter a no-fun min-max mentality.
Ofc leveling a lot as a sorcerer and playing the rest as warrior is not advisable but still
Damage is heavily reliant on items, especially end-game. So dont worry about stats

Ninjerk

Arcane
I loved playing as a magic archer even as disgusting as it felt to just "collect" circles for the the magic arrows to guide themselves to.

Fishy

Savant
Also, make sure you hire pawns from the Rift. Not only is it fun to have a party of 4, when you release that pawn its owner will get an amount of RCs based on the xp the pawn earned with you, and the pawn will also increase its knowledge based on what it sees/experiences with you. So you're doing someone, somewhere, a favour.

For best effect there's an "active player pawns" thread on the Steam forum, where you can post your pawn's name/vocation/screenshot. People actively hire these pawns instead of random ones, which means the community feeds itself with those RCs. And once you get serious with BBI, you'll be glad you have these.

Just a word of caution: only ever hire level-appropriate (or underleveled if it's to help the owner) pawns. Overleveled pawns will ruin a lot of the fun. It's about *you* powering up and wrecking stuff, not someone else's pawn doing it.

Delterius

Arcane
Just a word of caution: only ever hire level-appropriate (or underleveled if it's to help the owner) pawns. Overleveled pawns will ruin a lot of the fun. It's about *you* powering up and wrecking stuff, not someone else's pawn doing it.
For the record. Weapon power is the most important metric, not level. People who run to the outerwall at level 1 to buy op shit for their pawns are just the worst.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I loved playing as a magic archer even as disgusting as it felt to just "collect" circles for the the magic arrows to guide themselves to.
I might be wrong but I always assumed this mechanic was lifted from Panzer Dragoon/Rayforce which are themselves rooted in Xevious. None of these are exactly easy games.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Also, make sure you hire pawns from the Rift. Not only is it fun to have a party of 4, when you release that pawn its owner will get an amount of RCs based on the xp the pawn earned with you, and the pawn will also increase its knowledge based on what it sees/experiences with you. So you're doing someone, somewhere, a favour.

For best effect there's an "active player pawns" thread on the Steam forum, where you can post your pawn's name/vocation/screenshot. People actively hire these pawns instead of random ones, which means the community feeds itself with those RCs. And once you get serious with BBI, you'll be glad you have these.

Pawns besides your own created one are pretty forgettable and an unnecessary part of the game. The most fun is accomplishing everything on your own, with just your single companion optionally to make it feel less lonely.

deuxhero

Arcane
Bunch of "new" trademarks applications from Capcom popped up for old series.

Among them is this...
2019150640.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom