Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

The only hope is that some other devs (from the West maybe) try to do something similar, this time also with full party creation. But they need a lot of money.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
7 years and no sequel announced yet

Itsuno is working on DMC5 which has been abandoned for 10/11 years. So DD2 will have wait some 3 or 5 more years.

I hope for the sequel they try to expand more on the RPG elements:
-Sneaking, lock-picking, stealing, crime and reputation systems
-Magic spells with other uses besides combat
-fully fleshed out alchemy/combining system tied to a skill/stat/perk
-fully fleshed out climbing system tied to a skill/stat/perk
-Almost no fetch quests
-Quests with multiple ways of completing, that don't just envolve combat
-Class specific Factions
-No Class switching, only upgrading (must be this way if they do the points above)
-Better dungeons
-Better designed world, with more interesting locations and fun exploration
-No mini-map and the map starts empty: is completed through exploration or buying region maps (this also means quests-givers and descriptions must have a detailed description of the location)
-Different ways of travel
-Better AI (guards should fight bandits/monsters when they are nearby - even Oblivion had this)
-Pawns should "die" faster
-No i-frames
-No stun-locking
-Quests that don't shower you with rewards and money
-There shouldn't be Bosses that take 30 minutes to kill
-Healing Items should have an animation when consumed OR menu shouldn't pause the game while in combat

It's a tall order, I know. And almost certainly not even one of this things is going to make to sequel, since both AAA audiences and Japanese Devs don't enjoy these more complex aspects.

Last edited:
Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Sneaking generally doesn't work in ARPG's. Find me one when it wasn't either broken or useless.

I think the most important improvements would be - hybrid vocation AI for pawns, overhaul of the autistic leveling system, more than 1 save slot, improving pawn AI in general.

Reinhardt

Arcane
7 years and no sequel announced yet

Itsuno is working on DMC5 which has been abandoned for 10/11 years. So DD2 will have wait some 3 or 5 more years.

I hope for the sequel they try to expand more on the RPG elements:
-Magic spells with other uses besides combat
-fully fleshed out alchemy/combining system tied to a skill/stat/perk
-fully fleshed out climbing system tied to a skill/stat/perk
-Almost no fetch quests
-Quests with multiple ways of completing, that don't just envolve combat
-Class specific Factions
-No Class switching, only upgrading (must be this way if they do the points above)
-Better dungeons
-Better designed world, with more interesting locations and fun exploration
-No mini-map and the map starts empty: is completed through exploration or buying region maps (this also means quests-givers and descriptions must have a detailed description of the location)
-Different ways of travel
-Better AI (guards should fight bandits/monsters when they are nearby - even Oblivion had this)
-Pawns should "die" faster
-No i-frames
-No stun-locking
-Quests that don't shower you with rewards and money
-There shouldn't be Bosses that take 30 minutes to kill
-Healing Items should have an animation when consumed OR menu shouldn't pause the game while in combat

It's a tall order, I know. And almost certainly not even one of this things is going to make to sequel, since both AAA audiences and Japanese Devs don't enjoy these more complex aspects.
So basically make not DD.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah in case of DD i would love for them to focus what made DD great, combat and even more interaction in how you do combat.
Better character generator. DD one is awesome but they could do even better job.
Better designed world with more interesting locales.

Then when you have main stuff lock in add some new stuff like idk, stealth, new interactions like reputation etc. but only ass addon to core of game rather than making it core of game.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Better character generator ... ass addon

yes.png

boot

Prophet
For Dragon's Dogma 2 I'd like them to move away from having a main quest. Instead, put a dragon on some distant mountain and tell the player to go there and kill it. Still quests to complete, just no mandatory ones. If they are continuing to look at TES for inspiration, then let their example be Morrowind.

Also, enemy placement should vary, the packs of goblins should sometimes be driven off by a roaming chimaera or something. Consumable items force an animation... and maybe some more simulation elements, but really they could keep all the systems the same and just put more stuff everywhere and it would be a total success. The combat system carries the whole game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
. Instead, put a dragon on some distant mountain and tell the player to go there and kill it. Still quests to complete, just no mandatory ones. If they are continuing to look at TES for inspiration, then let their example be Morrowind.
See that dragon? You can kill it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.vg247.com/2019/02/07/dragons-dogma-2/

Capcom said Hideaki Itsuno could make Dragon’s Dogma 2, but he chose to make DMC5 first

The calls for Capcom to make a true sequel to 2012’s Dragon’s Dogma have been loud for some time now – so what gives? According to the game’s director, it’s all about a difficult choice and Devil May Cry 5.

Hideaki Itsuno is an extremely prolific video game developer. Over his years at Capcom he’s proved instrumental in the creation of countless classics including Rival Schools, Power Stone, Darkstalkers, Street Fighter Alpha and of course Devil May Cry, the series he’s now returned to, with the promising-looking DMC5 set to release in a few short weeks.

Itsuno also directed one of Capcom’s most ambitious games of all time: Dragon’s Dogma. Capcom of course hadn’t been huge on single-player RPGs since Breath of Fire fell dormant, so to see it release a big-budget single-player RPG inspired by modern Western RPGs was a shocker. The game was a hit and later built a larger cult following with PC and current generation re-releases. That makes it surprising that seven years later we’ve not heard of a sequel aside from a Japan-only online spin-off – but now thanks to Itsuno, we know why.

“So, when the discussion came up for Devil May Cry 5, I went to Kenzo [Kenzo Tsujimoto, Capcom founder] and I said… look, I want to make either Devil May Cry 5 or Dragon’s Dogma 2 next,” Itsuno told VG247 through a translator as part of a Devil May Cry 5 media tour. “He said ‘okay, do whatever you want. Do whichever one you want.’ So I thought, alright, y’know what… let’s do DMC5. So we did that.”

This news is sure to dismay some Dragon’s Dogma fans, though it’ll leave Devil May Cry fans cheered – while Dogma released in 2012, fans of the original Japanese-made iteration of DMC have been waiting for a sequel since 2008 – over a decade. Itsuno essentially has an impossible choice, and it’s one further compounded by the other massive titles on his resume. Power Stone and Rival Schools fans would also certainly spill blood for another one of those, for instance. It might not be all bad news however, as Itsuno teases.

“Here we are – we’re now finishing up DMC5. But I had ideas for Dragon’s Dogma 2 at the time as well. So here we are, it’s the end of this project.” Itsuno grins.

“I’ve always got maybe around four different titles in mind, maybe about four different ideas that I’d love to make. But there’s a difference between the titles that I’d love to make and the titles that I think I should make next. But here we are, we’re here, and… I’m already gearing up for my next project. We can’t say what it is, but we’re looking forward to getting to work on it.”

This is apparently a frequent topic of conversation on the day I see Itsuno, as he takes a string of media interviews from a variety of outlets. Dragon’s Dogma 2 is, I’m told, the second most frequent topic of conversation after DMC5, the game the interview is actually about. I tell Itsuno that I have a running gag on twitter where I just regularly ask “When’s Dragon’s Dogma 2?I do it a lot, and I do it because Dragon’s Dogma is one of my favorite games of the last generation. He laughs, but the comment also makes him a little philosophical about the project.

“Whenever I make a game, I make specifically what I want to play, what I’ve always wanted to play. Dragon’s Dogma is one of those things where ever since I was a kid this is the kind of experience I wanted from a game. I think about that and then I work towards creating that experience.”

He goes on to say that he regards it as his most successful project. “The one that was kind of the biggest success in my mind, the one I’m most proud of – that’s probably Dragon’s Dogma. The one that was the hardest to work on, that took the most effort – that’s this one. That’s DMC5.”

Devil May Cry 5 releases on March 8 for Xbox One, PC and PS4. With any luck, we won’t have too long to wait before we hear about what Itsuno does next. In the meantime, I might have to start brainstorming a new Capcom Sequel beg joke tweet. When’s Street Fighter 6? When’s a Dead Rising reboot? When’s Asura’s Wrath 2?

I guess it's for the better. Now that Capcom has seen the massive success with Monster Hunter, if DD 2 happens there's a hope it will have a budget that it deserves.

Shinji

Savant
They'll release the sequel in 2022, to celebrate the franchise's 10th anniversary.

I'll wait for it
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom