Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Indie DrDungeon's Ultizurk and MADMAN Thread - MADMAN Released

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, May 6, 2012.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Click here and disable ads!
    ULTIZURK

An extremely obscure series of Ultima clones from the 90s, created by Robert "Dr. Dungeon" Deutsch

[​IMG]
    Judging by the name, they were also inspired by Zork. I remember playing these games back in the 90s. Thanks to Aeschylus for reminding me of their existence.​

Surprisingly, more than a decade after the release of his last game, Dr. Dungeon is still around and has made contact with the Codex in this thread. Encouraged by our interest, he has officially rereleased most of his games, including the entire Ultizurk series. They are now available for download at the Ultima Codex. Old shareware versions of the games that haven't yet been rereleased are also available.

THE GAMES:

Officially rereleased:
    Ultizurk I: The Grandmaster's Quest
    Ultizurk II: The Shadow Master
    The Great Ultizurkian Underland v5.5
    Ultizurk III Part 1: The Guildmaster's Quest v1.3
    Ultizurk III Part 2: The Mobius Mind
    Wraith v3.1 (may need to be unlocked)

Shareware:
    Morbius' Isthmus v1 (actually an alternate version of The Great Ultizurkian Underland)
    Madman v1 (can be unlocked)

In development:
    Ultizurk IV: Lord of the Cyclops

Newly released:
    Madman: Enhanced Edition (Steam Greenlight)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 22
    ^ Top  
  2. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yes, the third game seems to be the most easy to find.

^ Top  
  4. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    No problem. :salute:
    They were a lot of fun. Apparently the creator is actually working on-and-off on a sequel at the moment.

Here's another download link:
    Ultizurk III

That is my personal favorite in the series.
    From my own little archive of DOS games, here's another one by the same author in a similar style:
    Wraith

Sadly, Ultizurk 2 seems to have been lost to the memory hole.

^ Top  
  5. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Magister

MMXI
    Parrots:
    Amazing. A rare cRPG series that I hadn't heard of. Cheers Infinitron.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    A rather hilarious post from 2010 on the Spiderweb forums. This Dr. Dungeon guy was apparently off the radar for more than a decade. He's so Web 1.0!

^ Top  
  7. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Parrots:
    What the heck, one more from my dosgames folder:
    Madman

In the same style as Ultizurk 3.

^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Yeah, I found the link for that already, post updated.

Only Ultizurk II is missing! Ultizurk IV seems to be vaporware. Mac-exclusive vaporware. o_O

^ Top  
  9. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    ^ Top  
  10. Blackadder Prestigious Gentleman Magister

Blackadder
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Update: Ultizurk III apparently had two parts, only the first of which was publicly available shareware. The second part was called "The Mobius Mind". Like Ultizurk II, it doesn't appear to be available anywhere.

^ Top  
  12. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Parrots:
    ^ It might be worth dropping the good Dr. a line to see if he'd update his webpage with copies of his impossible-to-acquire old games.

^ Top  
  13. Blackadder Prestigious Gentleman Magister

Blackadder
    Parrots:
    The FAQ for Ultizurk II in my link names it 'The Shadow Master'.

Already done. Also invited the Good Doctor to attend this prestigious magazine with a link to this thread.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Shadow Master IS Ultizurk II. I'm talking about Ultizurk III Part 2 (like Ultima 7 which had two parts).

^ Top  
  15. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Parrots:
    somehow i recognize the screens.

maybe i have these games? gotta check the old pile of CD-R's and disk.

^ Top  
  16. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    Never heard of these games. It looks like some Ultima 7 light. Right about this?
    The screenshots from the fourth game are looking very promising!

^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    "Basically done". Was it released or not?
    What if the greatest game in the world was released and nobody knew?

http://web.me.com/drdungeon/Site/Blog/Blog.html

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Here's an older website for Ultizurk IV, which seems to have disappeared around 2003-2004.

Found it via an old reference to Ultizurk here on the Codex!

^ Top  
  19. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Parrots:
    Intriguing. I had never heard of this before.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    The description sounds really good. Damn...

^ Top  
  21. TripJack Hedonist

TripJack
    Parrots:
    how delightfully cleveian, hopefully he responds to the email

looks like a good game to LP...

^ Top  
  22. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    Parrots:
    Ultizurk IV sounds really good, I'd love to play it. It sounds like it was more or less complete at the time of the Spiderweb forums posting, too, since he was looking for testers.

I hope Dr. Dungeon blesses us with a visit or email about the game. It sounds great.

^ Top  
  23. Duckard Savant

Duckard
    Parrots:
    :salute:

This is why I keep coming to RPG Codex. Also, that picture of the smiling moustache dude looks familiar for some reason.

^ Top  
  24. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Parrots:
    So how is the actual gameplay, and especially the combat, in these games?

^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Blackadder, any response? He seems to have two emails, drdungeon@mac.com and drdungeon@me.com, plus an old AOL one, lotcyclops@aol.com

Seeing as these games are inspired by Ultima and Zork, the combat is probably nothing special.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)