Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie DrDungeon's Ultizurk and MADMAN Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, you should try to get this on STEAM Greenlight. We would definitely vote for it.

Jashiin

Arcane
Yes, I'm sure you can get help and advice on how to create a good trailer/showcase of the game too.

Syl

Cipher
DrDungeon You say the game runs in 1280x800 but the screenshots are 1034x646. Are they resized? That would explain why the font (the old one) looks bad.

DrDungeon

Developer
That would explain it, Syl - I hadn't thought they might get resized in uploading. In any case, the new font is much better. I also worked today on a slew of minor tweaks to the whole layout, sizing, position, etc. Everything's looking really snappy now. Safari S'agoody as they say.

Not sure yet about the Steam suggestions. Certainly, Steam would probably the best by way of exposure. The whole marketing and advertising is a huge part of making something like this. For now, I'm concentrating on the game. When it is further along - almost done - I'll see about possibilities like Steam, etc. -Rob

norolim

Arcane
What about Desura? Supposedly they cater specifically to Indies.
Agreed. Desura could be good for you, if you want to get some funding before you finish the game, as it allows you to offer pre-release builds...and charge for them.
You can also try GOG. They like their indies, too.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah let me 3rd Desura. Underrail is using Desura and it works just fine. And their site has TONS of indie games. I know that Charle's had some issues trying to get his Sword and Sorcery game onto GOG though. So Desura seems to be 100% indie friendly.

PeeWee

Augur
Dr. Dungeon reports something.

Dr. Dungeon has worked out the entire character class and leveling up system, how they get experience, what class has various capabilities, etc. Each class has abilities that they are good at. When you go up a level, these abilities will get better. But you also get training points that you can spend to improve your other skills. This is done with actual trainers similar to how they did it in Ultima 7. What's neat about this is that the trainers also give advice about the particular skill they teach you and upgrade you on, so it is more realistic.

The classes Dr. Dungeon has are these:
Fighter
Paladin
Ranger
Thief
Mage
Druid
Ninja
Monk
Bard

Each one specializes in skills different than the others, so the game play is different.

What's neat is how you can specialize. If you are a mage, you will get better automatically at casting, for example. So you might want to raise your other skills, OR you could become a super-mage and pump all your skill points to more casting.

Each class is as powerful as the others, but in different ways.

A bard, for example, may not fight as good as a paladin, or pick locks as good as a thief, or cast as good as a mage. But he is the master in bartering, which means he can much more easily get great equipment.

A thief would laugh at the Hackmaster +12, because with his lowly knife he has a natural back-stab critical chance in addition to whatever is trained in his regular critical chance. He can become very powerful, but is a little weaker in hit points and armor class.

It is similar with ninjas and monks, who have a natural critical punch ability, as well as higher chances of finding secret passages and detecting trapped chests and floor spots.

So the ability to customize your character is very diverse in Madman.

The monster AI is a radical departure for typical AI systems in games, and anything but predictable. It uses a simple heuristic, which in programming parlance would be called a small neuro-net, which operates on a "random with a policy" principle.

The monsters are given a small set of directives which they try to carry out. However, much is dependent on the area, whether it is wide open, or has lots of blocks and walls, etc.

For example - they are not directly programmed to flank you. But if the map has certain barriers in several spots, their probability heuristic will often make them move to the sides, while higher hit point monsters will charge in.

A ranged monster may or may not shoot at range, even if the path is clear. He may actually move to the side of the map, or run past you and range from another direction, perhaps exposing you to some powerful melee monster behind him.

Sometimes they will suddenly pack around you and beat the crap out of you. Other times they will scatter all over the map, or block an exit. The important thing is that they are not directly programmed to do this!

It is the way the map area is laid out that increases their odds of doing certain things, so Dr. Dungeon places the monsters very carefully in different sorts of maps.

Combat is therefore very interesting as its always different, and the monsters can be surprisingly clever.

Dr. Dungeon’s next step is to get the trainers in and start expanding the land. All is going well!

This is not Madman "Enhanced" in the same sense as the Witcher Enhanced is to the original Witcher.

A much better comparison would be like the original Tomb Raider compared to Tomb Raider Anniversary.

It's a complete re-boot and infinitely more elaborate than the old DOS game.

Stabwound

Arcane
This game needs more publicity. I had never even heard of any of these games until this thread, and the new Madman looks straight out of the great mid 90's era we love.

Please, Doctor, finish this game. :incline:

edit: just saw the new font. Perfect. 10000x better than the old one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game needs more publicity. I had never even heard of any of these games until this thread, and the new Madman looks straight out of the great mid 90's era we love.

Please, Doctor, finish this game. :incline:

It gets a newspost as soon as the Doctor releases a demo.

I see this game as the bizarro Grimoire. Based on Ultima rather than Wizardry, made by a genial old guy rather than a snarky Neanderthal.

PeeWee

Augur
I would recommend everybody to read the original post of this thread again, because it has been changed.

Dr. Dungeon reports several things about the new "MadMan":

Two new features will be the features of detecting secret doors and trapped floors.

Dr. Dungeon has done putting in the fuctions to READ stuff like signs, books, etc.

Dr. Dungeon has done with Archmage Leomund and his dungeons. The dungeons are much bigger.

Being able to move people around is a new and handy feature.

Dr. Dungeon has butterflies flying around the land.

Dr. Dungeon is happy everyone LOVES the new font!

The journal is great! Dr. Dungeon has it all worked out. When something important happens, there is a "ring ring" sound and the journal icon flashes. When you open it up there are new entries that the madman has noted, as well as his thoughts on the matter. The player can roll his / her mouse up and down the titles, and it turns green and on the right the information appears.

Dr. Dungeon did something similar with one of the spells, INSIGHT, where it lights up the monsters the player is dealing with and information about them.

There are shields, weapons, ammo, boots, etc., but also belts and rings. There are places for all this.

In BOTH the new "MadMan" and "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops", those objects are automatically put in the right place, such as armor or a parka for your body. In the new "MadMan", and maybe also in "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops", the objects are switched with the objects that are already there and the player can actually lift up objects right on the mouse to move things around. Much more realistic.

If there are no changes of plans, in the new "MadMan" there will be one player or character and in "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops" there will be a party of four.

PeeWee

Augur
To Infinitron:
The original post / start post of this thread was changed several times, but not recently.

To Deuce Traveler:
I have sent you four new screenshots and I am asking you to upload them here, please.

To everybody:
There are four new screenshots showcasing the new Castle/Fortress areas and the Snow and Ice areas.

DrDungeon

Developer
Dr. Dungeon's MADMAN - Early estimate system requirements:
Processor: 2.4 gig Intel Core 2 Duo or better
Memory: 2 gigs or better
Video card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better, 256 mg, openGL compliant
nVidia 8600m GS or better, 256 mg, openGL compliant
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Operating systems: Mac OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard or Lion
Windows XP, Vista, Vista 64, Win 7
Not yet tested on Win 8

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
As requested:

cas1.bmp

cas2.bmp

ice1.bmp

ice2.bmp

DrDungeon

Developer
I keep forgetting to personally thank Deuce Traveler for uploading these pics I send to PeeWee. I shall now amend this.
Deuce, thank you very very real much, a whole million, for uploading these screen shots.

I, Dr. Dungeon, greatly appreciate this. It shows the world how far gone I really am, to take the time to set down thousands of these little tiles to make the world come alive.

I think PeeWee will soon have another little surprise for you! Thanks again, man. -Rob aka, "Dr. Dungeon, In The Castle of The Mach Gryphon"

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
No problem, I'm glad to help. I am predicting that 2013 will be the year that the CRPG decline was reversed, and I can tell my dubious children that the legends are true, the decline did indeed exist, and that I did a very tiny bit to help push it back.

:salute:

PeeWee

Augur
Dr. Dungeon said he thought I, PW, would soon have another little surprise for you, Deuce Traveler. Yes, there is another screenshot. I have already sent it to you, Deuce Traveler. Dr. Dungeon added a message to this screenshot, which he calls a "blow-up of a dungeon". The message is: "Abandon all hope, all ye who enter herein!"

Dr. Dungeon and I, PW, hope this screenshot can be uploaded as well, please, but it is a very big screenshot. Can it still be uploaded properly?

Dr. Dungeon reports several things:
- The player’s character is the same size as one of those tiny white dots.
- Some dungeons are even bigger.
- There are many of them!
- Things are progressing in leaps and bounds!
- Estimated time of release of the new "MadMan" is now July 4, 2013!

I, PW, would like to add some things to my own lists on page 6 and page 8 of this thread. To the list on page 6 I would like to add "MadMan", because I have completed "MadMan", too. Note that I am talking about the old "MadMan". To the list on page 8 I would like to add "MadMan II", because Dr. Dungeon is considering writing that game after completing the new "MadMan".

Note:
"MadMan II" and "ULTIZURK V: The Mach Gryphon" are two of the games which Dr. Dungeon has never started writing and are just titles.

There is a sort of nemesis in the games by Dr. Dungeon. He appears for the first time in the game "ZURK II: The World Below". There he is the gentleman and the thief, who are the same person. He is also the Shadow Master in "ULTIZURK II: The Shadow Master". Unlike "Grandmaster" and "Guildmaster", the Shadow Master is a character, not a rank. Dr. Dungeon told me that this nemesis will also be there in "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops".

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
- Estimated time of release of the new "MadMan" is now July 4, 2013!
:yeah:

Dr. Dungeon's MADMAN - Early estimate system requirements:
Processor: 2.4 gig Intel Core 2 Duo or better
Memory: 2 gigs or better
Video card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better, 256 mg, openGL compliant
nVidia 8600m GS or better, 256 mg, openGL compliant
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Operating systems: Mac OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard or Lion
Windows XP, Vista, Vista 64, Win 7
Not yet tested on Win 8

:rage:

Now I need a better computer.

DrDungeon

Developer
Fear not, Unorus! I may be estimating on the high side. I'm building it with the character movement speed at a certain level, and still getting almost 60 cycles per second all the time. so he can move much faster. Since there are five levels of speed choices, it may indeed run fine on a lower computer, and I'm erring on the side of caution with the card. It likely will be alright on lower-end cards. We'll see for sure when play testing time comes around, and that might not be too far off. -Rob

DrDungeon

Developer
This is not your father's madman. :) Actually, in reviewing the code and graphic storage, I'm thinking about half of all the specs above should be ok. I must make certain to cover all the platforms I can, and stick with the "no player left behind" policy.

So I hope you can forgive me if I misunderestimated the specs. -Rob

Luzur

Good Sir
This is not your father's madman. :) Actually, in reviewing the code and graphic storage, I'm thinking about half of all the specs above should be ok. I must make certain to cover all the platforms I can, and stick with the "no player left behind" policy.

So I hope you can forgive me if I misunderestimated the specs. -Rob

hope that doesnt include releasing on PS3 and XBox 360 first, then porting it to PC with gamepad support only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom