Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Dreamfall Chapters - Console Immersion Action Decline Kickstarter [Spoilers]

Athelas

Arcane
you make choices in each chapter and the next chapter will look for those choces, regardless how meaningful they were.
Why, thank you for agreeing with me.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
you make choices in each chapter and the next chapter will look for those choces, regardless how meaningful they were.
Why, thank you for agreeing with me.
No, you laugh at the system where second chapter is relying on the choices of the first one, when there is nothing laughable about that, that is how it works, and for a reason.

Divinity: Original Sin
well, I like that episode two is implemented as part of a full game.

And I see no point playing a later episode without having played the one before, when the game is actually a interactive movie. Even if it weren't dependent on choices.

Redlands

Arcane
In order to play Book Two, you will need to have completed Book One. There's no way around this: we rely on all the choices you made in the first episode.
giphy.gif
It is funny how you laugh in advance, despite you didn't played Chapter 2 and you couldn't know what kind of consequence your choices will have. What they are saying is just the way the game is structured, you make choices in each chapter and the next chapter will look for those choces, regardless how meaningful they were.

It's more funny that you continue to be incapable of distinguishing good and bad design decisions from one another.

They've literally made it harder for people to play their game, for no good reason, when the solution is as easy as:
  • Making sure Book One had an exporter, and Book Two has an importer, for saved games that work independently of whether Book One is installed or not. Maybe having some cloud/Steam integration or what have you.
  • Making sure Book Two can be installed independently of Book One (if this isn't possible; it kind of sounds like you need to have Book One installed to install Book Two).
  • Falling back on using one (or more) predefined set of "canonical" choices if the player hasn't finished the game, or doesn't have a save-file left.
Sure, it's not likely that someone will play Book Two before Book One, but completely discounting that possibility is pretty stupid from a business perspective: making people go through those extra steps will potentially put customers off of buying your game, and this problem is just going to get compounded the more chapters they release.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In order to play Book Two, you will need to have completed Book One. There's no way around this: we rely on all the choices you made in the first episode.
giphy.gif
It is funny how you laugh in advance, despite you didn't played Chapter 2 and you couldn't know what kind of consequence your choices will have. What they are saying is just the way the game is structured, you make choices in each chapter and the next chapter will look for those choces, regardless how meaningful they were.

It's more funny that you continue to be incapable of distinguishing good and bad design decisions from one another.

They've literally made it harder for people to play their game, for no good reason, when the solution is as easy as:
  • Making sure Book One had an exporter, and Book Two has an importer, for saved games that work independently of whether Book One is installed or not. Maybe having some cloud/Steam integration or what have you.
  • Making sure Book Two can be installed independently of Book One (if this isn't possible; it kind of sounds like you need to have Book One installed to install Book Two).
  • Falling back on using one (or more) predefined set of "canonical" choices if the player hasn't finished the game, or doesn't have a save-file left.
Sure, it's not likely that someone will play Book Two before Book One, but completely discounting that possibility is pretty stupid from a business perspective: making people go through those extra steps will potentially put customers off of buying your game, and this problem is just going to get compounded the more chapters they release.
This game is a storyfag game, there is nothing else. Puzzles are basic, graphics is mediocre. Who in their right mind would play chapter 4 without chapter 1-2-3? This doesn't make any sense. I'm going to make a wild guess and say that noone on planet Earth would want to play the later chapters without playing the first ones, because s/he had no idea what the fuck is going on in the game.

Aenra

an interesting tribute to futility this thread;
almost as futile as trying to explain to the little one how we should not really call Justin Timberlake an actor, if we still want to call Peter Sellers an actor

Deleted member 7219

Completed Book Two.

Performance is still abysmal.

Thankfully there's less cheesy shit, even in the Zoe storyline which was interminable in parts during the first Book.

I really like the Kian storyline, I get the feeling like there will be a lot of freedom in how you get to shape the Resistance. I hope that is true, because that is the way the choices seem to be going and it would be a complete waste of time if that wasn't the case.

Divinity: Original Sin
This game is a storyfag game, there is nothing else. Puzzles are basic, graphics is mediocre. Who in their right mind would play chapter 4 without chapter 1-2-3? This doesn't make any sense. I'm going to make a wild guess and say that noone on planet Earth would want to play the later chapters without playing the first ones, because s/he had no idea what the fuck is going on in the game.

As long as they don't force you to REPLAY the 1st chapter, it's ok. The option to start from chapter 2 should exist in the case of anyone lost their save games and even though they played through the 1st one. But I believe steam cloud works with the game, in any case.

You can't start playing monkey Island from part 2 or part three either.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I wish the game had an option to turn off the constant "lolololol we made a branching storyline, did you notice did you did you did you??!?!"-wankfest pop-ups.
Somehow, this is probably all the codex's fault for complaining about C&C, so now Telltale and Redthread trip over each other to try and teach the unwashed masses how (fake) C&C works.
I had a bunch of other nitpicks, but forgot about them so they were probably not that important.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I on purpose pick all the choices only 2% players pick, ones that are specifically made as trap evil un-librul ones whereas mr. Tourniquet bangs you on the head that youd better pick other one (for example, sharing super secret data with the world instead of giving it to Baru which pops two times ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS YOU SURE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES U SURE)
Sadly I spared pedo-officer should have killed him to get into 16% who did; since eveyone would try to please the bioware-Merrill rip-off furry Enu instead of big angry emo blue guy, obviously
Turned off a redhair on that same reason since I knew 80% players would pick kissu

hello friend

Arcane
They've really done a quantum faceplant with the UI this time. Dreamfall didn't have all that many possible item interactions/environment interactions, but I thought the UI was quite good. The amusingly literal highlight function was well suited to a 3d environment, and prevented the game from becoming a pixel hunt even as it required you to search, in contrast to the "highlight everything interactable" thing the Book of Unwritten Tales do. And interactable objects lose focus if you approach them. Genius. Book Two contains, what - 3, 4 puzzles? Weak ones at that. Best one is probably the one where you distract the guard. You're constantly running around in a dead city of flat people- No, I tell a lie. You're not running all the time, because your ability to run is regularly taken from you, for little to no reason. Even when you're undercover and trying not to arouse suspicion it is impossible to be caught, the game just forces you to move at half speed. THERE IS NO WAY TO FAIL THE STEALTH SECTION. This bears repeating, but I'll restrain myself.

There's a lot more that could be said, but there's no point.

I'm not buying more games from these guys.

If you enjoy this you should be ashamed.

~Qwinn

Keshik

Arcane
Very disappointed I couldn't
run away from Nela's suicide bombing

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Most discussion on Steam forums is about kissing or not kissing the redhead. The furry crowd seems to have piped down.

Keshik

Arcane
Apparently the next patch will have a cutscene that handles the case where the player decides to run away, still end up the same though, so eh.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Played through the bit in the fantasy world. It was passable. The dialogue is a bit too akin to that of Bioware for me, i.e. cute, clumsy, awkward pseudo-idiot female supporter and stoic generic grudging respect warrior. Completely lost interest when ZE GERMMAN showed up. It is as if this was directed by George Lucas. Make a game about multiculturalism; add an evil ZE FRITZ.

I wish I had bought Life is Strange instead. Even with its cringe-worthy teenager dialogue, it is so much better written.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom