Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DRPG Book

Educated
I've added some new columns to the spreadsheet to capture combat style, automap, party size, and others. I'm gonna need help getting that filled in, so if anyone wants to help, drop me a message.

I'm thinking about adding a tag to differentiate commercial, indie, doujin, freeware, and game jam titles to help sort things. Any thoughts?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
DRPG Book I would like to request some edits/additions for Das Geisterschiff / The Ghost Ship.

Native Language: En
Original Developer: Graverobber Foundation
Publisher: Graverobber Foundation
First Relase Date: 2018-09-19 (2018-11-24 is the Steam release date, Itch version came out 2 months prior)
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac
Movement Style: Grid
Combat Style: Turn-Based
Map Generation: Static
Automap: No
Party Size: 1 Character

Also it appears you pasted the native game title to the 'native language' section for Alvaleak Boukenki. ;)

DRPG Book

Educated
DRPG Book I would like to request some edits/additions for Das Geisterschiff / The Ghost Ship.

First Relase Date: 2018-09-19 (2018-11-24 is the Steam release date, Itch version came out 2 months prior)

Also it appears you pasted the native game title to the 'native language' section for Alvaleak Boukenki. ;)

Thanks for the updates. Just curious, would you prefer the title of "Das Geisterschiff" or "Ghost Ship?" Thinking of updating the English title to represent the retail name rather than a translation due to the primary language being English. I'm aware that sentence is confusing, but I'm still drinking my coffee.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Thanks for the updates. Just curious, would you prefer the title of "Das Geisterschiff" or "Ghost Ship?" Thinking of updating the English title to represent the retail name rather than a translation due to the primary language being English. I'm aware that sentence is confusing, but I'm still drinking my coffee.
I treat Das Geisterschiff as the original title and retail name, while The Ghost Ship is the translated title added for users' convenience.

DRPG Book

Educated
Continuing work on the list, filling in details about each game. I'm using personal knowledge and Youtube videos where possible, but the freeware games typically require me to load them up and play them. Most of them so far have been Japanese, which makes it a bit hard, but I have found some interesting games and got to take a bunch of screenshots. While my motivation is still here, I'm gonna add a post for each letter as I get there to share some of the more interesting finds.

DRPG Book

Educated
Let's see how this goes...

-[#]-

-MAZE- Lemaria Archeological Exploratory Record
迷徒-MAZE- レマリア遺跡探索記
(紅しょうが, 2013-11-01)
Download

Screenshots Below
chGHNuS.png
h2iPQSZ.png
Gbn2xxN.png
2fQFIDm.png
HgrLy1k.png
6mN6Yjt.png
KMUaZ4S.png
SAA5YJQ.png

&
(Dr Lancer-X, 2011-12-06)
Download

Screenshots Below
qJ4B0Yh.png
YcO2ez7.png
OAlNVR1.png
V4Ofsxx.png
UTQF8X4.png
jcIS2C2.png
hb8zri5.png
mvsxUh9.png
VISL53U.png
TolknPO.png
iMnd0q2.png
VPSm2DQ.png

Last edited:

DRPG Book

Educated
Hmm, looks like I've got a 30 minute edit time limit, not sure I can make these posts as easily as I thought. May have to wait until each letter is complete. For now, I'll just add a screenshots link to each row in the worksheet.

Last edited:

DRPG Book

Educated
Here's some other lesser known titles:
+Chicken-
+鶏-
(noegun, 2016-11-05)

Download
Selected Screenshots Below (full album)
oSATSgJ.png
kJmA9hc.png
iSmAgW5.png
DdE5Qet.png
N5muHv0.png
C1UQOFQ.png
bLW7RQQ.png

3D Dungeon ~papier-mache shelter~
3Dダンジョン
(blitzdog, 2015-01-05)

Download
eQCApPH.png
2FQBMAF.png
BfP3gDm.png
8oBYio0.png

3D Dungeon Amaryllis Hen
3Dダンジョン アマリリス編
(レベル1, 2006-10-24?)

Download
aEmhHgt.png
QTlIxSd.png
NL59RSW.png
YmnAe7k.png
AWBAArK.png
zSdDAuA.png

Afterworld
(Mattias Gustavsson, Work in Progress?)
Download (tech demos only)
Notes: This game looks amazing. The author is on Twitter, so he may be willing to discuss this game.
8XXz6iP.png
Y7AE9cr.jpg
hk5rTmJ.jpg
hKBmzZt.jpg
EAf4rbI.jpg
FLKa9Hf.jpg
CEwOJ0K.png
cLcV0X0.png

DRPG Book

Educated
Here's an unreleased Cz Amiga game. Other than being unreleased, it's not too interesting...or fun. The graphics are interesting, but the performance of the emulator sucked on my machine. Plus, the entire game, including navigation, is mouse driven. :argh:

If you decide to try it, check out the link for the download. It details a few caveats needed for the emulator and should lead you on the correct path for obtaining the disk image you'll need to get it working. I'm don't think the hassle is worth it, but I'm trying to document this stuff, so I gotta deal with this crap sometimes.

Duncan (Preview)
(Multis, [unreleased])
System: Amiga

Download (start here)
XLPHYNE.png
ILONfYj.png
s6Rldq3.png
zPkh5Ie.png
AdAkVWt.png
B6acO1d.png
1gPodHR.png

DRPG Book

Educated
Promising news regarding Afterworld. On Twitter today, the author said he was still hoping to finish it in the next year or two: link

Last edited:

DRPG Book

Educated
Quick update: got about 135 games "fully" documented. This means movement style, publisher info, battle style (real-time vs turn based), and more. Right now, I'm dealing with mostly English titles or Windows titles. Plan to do various systems in groups since it'll require getting the emulation setup well.

I'm excited to look at trends over the years as this fills out, although I think we can predict a lot of them.

Lots to go, but happy to be about 10% done with the data. Still finding new games pretty frequently, so please let me know if you see something that's missing.

DRPG Book

Educated
Another update: about 250 games with most of the details added. Translations and mod info take more research, so those are less complete.

Big thanks to Grauken for his help. He completed a lot of entries for the AD&D Goldbox games, Wizardry, Tales of Arkania, Might and Magic, and more!

As always, if you want to help, let me know or just put in a request for edit permissions via the Google Sheets page, drpgbook.com.

DRPG Book

Educated
Here's an update on the DRPG database, drpgbook.com.

List Status
Currently ~1150 entries, with around with around 365 entries including details like combat style and automap info. I continue to find more and more new games, but am focusing on identifying distribution details to help sort full commercial releases from freeware and game jam titles. This will help me focus my efforts so I can target more mainstream titles in gathering the other details.

Book Plans
After the recent "practice" art book, I'm excited to do more.

My current plan is to continue gathering the details, but also begin working on layouts and design of the book. I currently anticipate a highly graphical book, rather than a detailed historical analysis of dungeon crawlers. Of course, this can all change over time, but my original goal was a coffee table book. I had no clue how big this list would become, and I now anticipate a few volumes or parts to create. I also just don't have the time to play/review all of these games!

I continue to look into self publishing options, but we'll see how things pan out as I get closer to a finished product. I'm not fooling myself into thinking this has a large enough audience to get a book deal, so I continue to explore options to share it with those interested.

Archive.org
I am also working to upload games (freeware right now for legal reasons) or gather existing links for the @internetarchive. After compiling 50 links, I can create a "collection" for first person dungeon crawlers.

"Real" Database
And, I'd still love to make a nice query page into a traditional database (RDBMS), but for now the Google Sheets filters will have to do. Maybe Google Apps Script will make it easy to produce a decent front end?

Thank You
Thanks to those who've shown support and interest. I realize this is not the most popular subject, so it's nice to see interest in it. It keeps me motivated on the tedious days.

As always, if you'd like to help, drop me a note. Any additions, or corrections, please let me know.

DRPG Book

Educated
Here's an update on the DRPG database, drpgbook.com.

List Status
Currently ~1310 entries, with around with around 540 entries including details like combat style and automap info. At this point, I've been focusing on my book, so I typically add in details as I'm adding entries to the book.

Dungeon Crawler (DRPG) Book
Been putting a lot of effort into the book. As you can see in the screenshot, I'm going for a graphic heavy style. Each entry has an overview of game mechanics as well.

It's been a lot of fun playing through so many dungeon crawlers. I've got about 150 pages designed, some with written content, some with filler text.

If you're interested in more frequent updates, I post to Twitter a lot because it's easy for me, @drpgbook.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
That's some list.
Seems Casus is now on steam.
Been there for a year at this point.

One year and just one review is pretty sad.

You gotta try a little harder if you want to survive in this completely of games flooded market these days. Creating atrociously bad looking games (art style) for a completely niche looking game genre will not get you anywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom