Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"DRPG" Stranger of Sword City

newtmonkey

Arcane
Okay, after the tutorial section of the game, it opens up nicely and I am having a good time exploring. The only thing that is slightly annoying at this point is that, once you get far enough into any of the dungeons, you eventually meet up with small enemies that call allies and have such as high AVOID% that I can only hurt them with magic (and I have no multi-enemy offensive magic yet). I also don't have any buffing/debuffing spells, which is quite a surprise. I may need to swap in another mage or look into the other classes for help.

Efe

Erudite
maybe you need to stack some hit on equipment? also using either samurai to hit rows and knight to hit in a line should help you clear before they summon too much.
what is your level? on spell casting panel there are three buttons you click to change spell type. you could be looking at damage spells only

Vorark

Erudite
Artwork looks beautiful. Say what you want, but when the Japanese get serious and actually put effort instead of going the animu/moe route they nail it. Don't even mind the cat girls.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Okay, after the tutorial section of the game, it opens up nicely and I am having a good time exploring. The only thing that is slightly annoying at this point is that, once you get far enough into any of the dungeons, you eventually meet up with small enemies that call allies and have such as high AVOID% that I can only hurt them with magic (and I have no multi-enemy offensive magic yet). I also don't have any buffing/debuffing spells, which is quite a surprise. I may need to swap in another mage or look into the other classes for help.

for buff/debuff it's in another window, like on vita you have to press R or L if I remember. it took me a while to find out the first time I played the jp version (and I think other player were searching too...)
in stranger of sword city, it's about to remember which monster you can attack in the beginning and which one you should leave alone...

newtmonkey

Arcane
on spell casting panel there are three buttons you click to change spell type
:O Thanks! I read the in-game manual but it was written so poorly I had trouble following along haha. I must have missed this.

Don't even mind the cat girls.
The art is great, I really like the monster art. The cat girls are hot and I don't care if anyone thinks less of me for saying so
:desu:

remember which monster you can attack in the beginning and which one you should leave alone
Thanks! Will do.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
man once you play elminage gothic it's going to be a bitter-sweet experience. it is the pinnacle of Wizardry mechanics and i don't think it will ever be topped. playing it and, much more importantly, finishing it completely including the ultra-hard core 20 floor Ibag's Tower and killing the game's true final boss and getting the "true" ending was almost a religious experience.

the only other game i've put so many hours is street fighter 4 haha, according to steam i left SF4 with 3.2k hours logged.

for elminage: Gothic I put in 470 or so hours on PC (about 3 and a half full play throughs including postgame) and then while attempting to translate the japanese release of Gothic on 3DS I put in another 120 hours playing it through, though I didn't bother finishing Ibag's Tower on 3DS.

gothic's a long ass game if you attempt to get the true ending, and it's a feat I think only topped by getting the true ending in Wiz 4. Elminage Gothic came out originally in 2014 and according to Starfish's website they're still making games (albeit not RPG ones) and there don't seem to be signs of them going under any time soon...

...hopefully we'll get another proper Elminage sometime in the next decade. They made another one right after Gothic (literally less than a year later) but it wasn't made by the same internal team and it was intentionally designed as an "animu" title with more emphasis on its terrible story than on making a good game.

thankfully elminage: Ibun did not sell all that well so (fingers crossed) if and when Starfish makes another Elminage it will be a proper one.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I am saving Elminage Gothic for last. It's funny, cuz I have known about Elminage since moving to Japan 10 years ago or so, cuz I would see it in Famitsu magazine or on store shelves. I always assumed it was shit, because, honestly, Japanese RPGs over the last 20 years have mostly been awful. Even so, I bought Elminage Gothic on Steam on sale one day for probably a few dollars, and just let it sit there.

I don't remember the chain of events 100%, but I think after I gave Wiz 1 an honest attempt and learned to love dungeon crawlers, I gave E:G another shot, and realized almost immediately that I was 100% wrong about it. At that point, I decided to go back in time to the first game, because I like seeing how good games evolve over time (I did the same with the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, and am in midst of doing the same for Ultima and Might & Magic).

So I get what you are saying about E:G, but at the rate I am able to play games, it is gonna be I dunno, a decade from now til I am able to get to that. I am not extremely strict about playing games by year, but I do like to play them in order (within series). So right now, I am playing Wiz, Elminage 1, and Might & Magic 6 at the same time. I am REALLY looking forward to Elminage Gothic.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
play Vanilla.

Remake/revisisted version, and this info comes straight from the sage's mouth good ole Dorarnae apparently they changed some dungeon layouts (to make them EVEN EASIER), they lowered the "difficulty" of "trash encounters" (i.e. non-bosses) by having them deal less dmg, or have less def, whatever, point is you will steamroll thru SoSC: Baby Mode Edition with any party consisting of the most debased and degenerate characters that will probably lack the smallest semblance of actual cohesion or competence in their advancement in-game:

from what I read / from what Dorar said basically by making everything about the game easier (it's not hard at all, default ver., which is why it's infuriating), they effectively neutered all if not the MAJORITY of any possible enjoyment a player can extract from the experience as there no longer will he/she need to bother thinking about what items to use, armor to wear, whether or not to multiclass, should he save money to revive his level 5 knight or just roll up a level 1 char and "make do" for the remainder of dungeon--

etc, etc.

TL;DR play SoSC vanilla. It's not the best Wiz-clone ever, but I rank it 2nd place (although far behind) Elminage: Original and Elminage: Gothic.

It's a very fun dungeon crawler and it actually even features "innovative" mechanics regarding character "perma-death" possibility, a take on multi-classing which at least personally I had never seen before (classing into a new class HALVES YOUR CURRENT CHAR LEVEL, thus a FIGHTER lv 10 who becomes a SAMURAI is now a SAMMY lv. 5) and all according attributes/HP/etc is suitable halved by 50%.

It's a neat and simple way of making multi-clsasing not only just "fun", but an integral mechanic for the player which the game constantly encourages, as it is where the most fun (subjective, I know) will be there to be had by the player. Sure, half-way thru the game you'll realize the classing combinations aren't endless, but hey, name me one single RPG where they were !? And furthermore, was that RPG's multi clssing... FUN TO PLAY!?

yeah. so. i recommend it :)

Also recommend Elmi: orig. and Elmi: gothic, and many others, like english translated Wizardry Empire 2: legacy of the Princess, made by the Starfish studio/devs who NOW work making Elminage series of dungeon crawlers.

It's my personal favorite of all true Wizardry scenarios and features fantastic dungeon play/design.

You can find the Wiz Emp 2 .ISO over at THE ISO ZONE and the Eng. Patch over at ROM HACKNIG dot NET website or simply go read the translation patch thread in here in JRPG forum which has the patch/link to patch and oh, oh sooo much more.

Zeriel

Arcane
Oh, I'm surprised to see you ended up enjoying SOSC. I thought you were pretty down on it originally.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
newtmonkey

My only worry, esp. considering I just finished making a spur-of-moment Ode to Elminage: Gothic over in the new thread for E: Orig.'s English release on PC (MMM GRAPHICS!!)...

My only worry, although not really because, i mean, jesus I got real shit to worry about who gives a fuck whether someone enjoys E: Gothic or n--- OOPS I HAD A STROKE THERE SORRY:

I worry I may have hyped too much so I want to tell you EXACTLY what the experience will be:

It is not a game that features even mid-sized evolutions on the stuff you're already doing in E: Original. It is not a game that introduces many "new shit", and in fact it ONLY introduced one new thing, the SKILLS chosen on char-generation for each char, but to Starfish's credit (NOM NOM NOM) the skills truly, truly, truly turn the entire game into a new thing both shiny and dusty in refracted light.

So, 1 new system, and it's a FUCKING AMAZING ADDITION, what else? Ok, here's what it DOES give you:

- The best designed dungeons in the Elminage series, ARGUABLY only challenged by Starfish's dungeon design in Wizardry Empire 2 (I put Emp 2's dungeons ahead of Gothics, but not by much).

- The absolute pinnacle of polish of every single part, parcel and moving part with which the Wizardry game play and legacy is comprised: you have done everything before, but in E: Gothic the itemization is the best I've ever experienced in any RPG, a full count of 716 items in the PC version (for reference that would be around 200 more than in E: Original) and no, obviously they dind't just spam the game with junk:

- It's truly a case of the developers unbridled love and zeal for making everything the absolute best, not just in technical ways but in the sense that they went through every Elminage play mechanic, staple, trope, what have you, and... did most of them again except this time actually done with an unwavering surety of authority that the auteur's grace not merely clings but rather infuses the game in its entirety with the following occupation of will:

- This is the culmination of 30+ years of Wizardry mechanics being refined over and over, and E: Gothic does not shock with "new shit" although it definitely has it, instead E: Gothic is the equivalent of a japanese blacksmith's final Katana made throughout most of the course of his life, and completed finally only 3 months after he loses his daughter in a terrible accident:

it is his ultimate expression, with the katana's hamon evoking the clouds and the swirling pattern of the under-steel tricking the light into forming waves upon its surface; a thing which could not have been made, could not exist, if not for the complete abdication of the blacksmith's purpose and self not to make a great weapon, but because it is his legacy.

That's E: Gothic, more of the same, but done on a level where where you immediately begin to appreciate the subtle reworkings of existing things/mechanics/ideologies, not in SUBVERSION (E: Gothic, while many things, is not in way ever subverting any standard of the genre), but reworked... in order to have everything, every single little aspect, be... complete; no further refinement is necessary, indeed, the notion itself would never materialize as what is already self-evidently complete is something that leaves ZERO ROOM for the ego, as it is simply itself, and evident to all, and complete. Some call that perfect.

EDIT: needless to say Gothic was "reworked" top to bottom, beginning with leaving behind the animu aesthetic and (read this in an interview with the lead designer of the first 3 Elminage games, who left Starfish halfway thru Gothic) they had always wanted to make a "true challenging Wiz-style game", as the last one they had made was... well, a Wizardry game, and Wiz Emp 2 came out in 2002 (Emp 3 came out in 2005 but by then Starfish was in money troubles and Emp 3 is a HUGE rush-job that is ltierally INCOMPLETE as a game, it is mostly a ghost-town of a dungeon crawler, though obviously still mechanically sound since it utilizes the same game play shit from Empire 1/2).

Gothic came out in 2014. That's 12 years of biding their time making Elmi: Original and Elmi 2 and 3, all 3 games HEAVILY concerned themselves with animu (I love animu, btw, but just pointing out), so Gothic was like their finally exploding and making the Wiz game they wanted to do for years.

No hand holding! No infinite maps! AGE MATTERS! FUCK UR PARTY HAHA UR FAIERY DIED!

OH, you're used to having the LONGSWORD be "Accurate" in Elminage: Original!?? FUCK U KEKEKE NOW LONGSWORD HAS A FUCKING NEGATIVE MODIFIER TO STRIKE !!!

Yes, in Gothic early game (fuck most of the game) a lot of items feature real pros/cons, usually by manner of weapons having NEGATIVE accuracy modifiers, stuff like that.

Biggest change is they made Staves/Staff SHORT-RANGE. So... NO MORE OF UR CLERIC USING A MOP TO ATK FROM BACK ROW!!!

:)

etc. God bless them for it.

Last edited:
Thinking I was going to start Elminage later, because it seems no other DRPG comes close to its quality, I gave in anyway and bought the E:O 3ds copy. Spent all last night planning a party knowing I will be back to the drawing board later. I won't be discouraged though! Now all the DRPGs I own, including SOSC will disappoint me....
I was watching a weeb on YouTube talk about all the developers (like Experience INC.) that lose the license to make Wizardry games, only to go on making their own DRPG's with some gimmick or spin (Demon Gaze, Mary Skelter). Its as if making a blobber is so specialized one cannot simply make any other game. It sounds like only one group went on with a little more fidelity towards Wizardry instead of making a watered down experience. If the japanese are good at something, it would definitely be iteration.

Also, is labyrinth of souls any good? I'm trying to find some games that are not on the computer while my partner is on Roll20.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wondered why this is getting many negative reviews on Steam recently. Apparently recent Windows 10 update made the game unplayable, and NISA is on the case: http://steamcommunity.com/app/409890/discussions/0/3183345176717779401/

Issues with Windows update

Dear users,

Thank you for your continuous support for "Stranger of Sword City", we will have the developers to check the issue and we will be keeping you posted for the fixes.

Thank you very much again for your patience and support!

Jun@NISA

troupeg

Educated
I'm normally pretty strongly opposed to weebery, but it sounds like this is probably worth the $8 sale price currently eh?
It is. The creators of this game were more inspired by western art styles when making this game's environmental and character art.

Thanks bros, I'll probably pick it up. May take a while before I get around to it since I've got so much other shit drawing my attention but it sounds worth a peek. Especially if Cleve never delivers on that $10 Grimoire sale.

troupeg

Educated
Thanks bros, I'll probably pick it up. May take a while before I get around to it since I've got so much other shit drawing my attention but it sounds worth a peek. Especially if Cleve never delivers on that $10 Grimoire sale.
The dungeons could be better... but its pretty good overall.

Unfortunately, the PC version is NOT the definitive version. The Vita version has more classes, mechanics and a better battle system.
They never brought the Vita changes to the PC retroactively

Unfortunately, the PC version is NOT the definitive version. The Vita version has more classes, mechanics and a better battle system.
Well that's a shame, especially since odds are I'll never have a Vita and I can't really be bothered to see if there's an emulator (And if there was, download it). Still, if the PC version's still good it's probably not grounds to skip it just because the Vita version's better.

troupeg

Educated
Honestly just find a PS TV

They're basically a PS Vita with no screen, but an HDMI out connection. They're like $60 and ALL *new* boxed ones come with hackable low enough firmware so you can homebrew it and make the games run faster with overclocking homebrew.

Zeriel

Arcane

The DLC also makes the game easier. I wouldn't say its "definitive", at all. It's basically the popamole version. The only thing you are really missing out on is the soul memory events for two particular characters, but those are pretty tacked on too and you can just watch them on Youtube.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom