Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Druidstone enters production, procedural generation now completely removed

Ravn7

Educated
What drugs are you on? Every indie dev and his mother does procedual levels now.
OK. It's possible I just haven't played any of those games.

Or maybe we meant something else? Because I meant procedurally generated maps that are different every time you start a new game. Is that also that common in indie RPG games?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What drugs are you on? Every indie dev and his mother does procedual levels now.
OK. It's possible I just haven't played any of those games.

Or maybe we meant something else? Because I meant procedurally generated maps that are different every time you start a new game. Is that also that common in indie RPG games?

Yes, procedually generated maps. Roguelikes and rogue-lites are a huge thing right now, and most indie games these days decide to go for procedual maps instead of proper hand-made level design.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Handcrafted, Procedurally Generated Maps will be the wave of the future, I tell ya!

I'm getting in on the ground floor of that new paradigm!

Zep--

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Handcrafted, Procedurally Generated Maps will be the wave of the future, I tell ya!

Zep--

Try some procedurally generated dialogues. But better not try them.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Zep--

Try some procedurally generated dialogues. But better not try them.
Too late for that, Bethesda has been using that at least since Oblivion.

Horrible creatures, I avoid them whenever I can.

Actually, there's already some useful stuff in the field of linguistics (unrelated to any human language). In general, generative formal grammars and grammar hierarchy. BUT it's not gonna produce elaborate dialogs like Big Bad's speeches in any rpg. It technically can produce varied responses depending on whether the NPC slept well last night etc. A common subtype of recursive grammars is as capable of computation as any arbitrary computer program.

It's a big project in itself to allow not-so-awkward procedural word sequence generation, variations, transpositions etc. But I expect this to happen once procedural game worlds get more exposure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom