Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Druidstone gets its first trailer, coming Spring 2019

m_s0

Arcane
Looks like writing isn't their strong side (focus) with lines like: "yikes!" and "I'm sorry, they took your father" :D

Could still be fun I guess.
Not that you couldn't kill just about any crpg story with a synopsis, but I fell asleep halfway into the first sentence of the one written for this game.

So here's hoping Druidstone will shine in other areas.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
^ ^

That's the whole point Sherlock. This is essentially a children's book in the form of an RPG.

They realized niche stuff such as Grimrock is not as profitable as they'd like, so they split the team and one branch focused on a simplistic, top-down, children's RPG reminiscent of Zelda and other cute rubbish that will likely yield higher sales. Can't say I blame them, they got to make a living somehow. Furthermore, bet the farm this will eventually hit some other platform, be it consoles or mobiles.

Basically, yeah, the meaningless dump above (Oiko) tells me everything I need to know about this product and whom it's geared to. Like that it isn't for me. But good luck, whatever. Ima wait for something with a more serious tone.

m_s0

Arcane
^ ^

That's the whole point Sherlock. This is essentially a children's book in the form of an RPG.
I dunno. This could potentially be an interesting angle to take, but you can't just use that as an excuse to justify lack of writing talent on staff. It's like saying the game is inspired by JRPGs so it's OK if the writing is barely coherent Pidgin English.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Druidstone, and what I know is basically coming from this teaser, so if this is a conscious aesthetic choice they commited to... bring it on, I guess?

frajaq

Erudite
Yeah the story doesn't look like anything to write home about it, mostly hoping even if the party slots are fixed there is a decent amount of character customization and good challenges to carry the game

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The simplistic approach is intentional, be sure of that. As for their writing, I dunno cause Grimrock isn't a good showcase and nor is this game. It's probably average.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Looks like writing isn't their strong side (focus) with lines like: "yikes!" and "I'm sorry, they took your father" :D
Reading it in a JC Denton deadpan way makes it instantly hilarious. And I'm not just saying that because he posted above you.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
They realized niche stuff such as Grimrock is not as profitable as they'd like

Didn't the first LoG sell extremely well? According to this Gamasutra press release, the game sold over 900,000 copies by 2014. That's more than anyone could have hoped for.

LoG2 indeed sold quite a bit less I believe. You have to pay/donate for Steam Spy these days, so I don't have any numbers. I think a lot people got a nostalgic kick out of Grimrock because it reminded them of Dungeon Master, which they may have played as kids. That nostalgia probably wasn't powerful enough to have those people invest in the sequel.

Curratum

I wish I saw less Grimrock 2 asset reuse but that's not the main point I suppose.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Promises to be better Bard's Tale then Bard's Tale IV, better RPG then Bard's Tale: Fourgo's Truth and more fun then Bard's Tale: Hearthstoned

In other words: promises fast paced yet turn based fun, to eye appealing aesthetics and cutooo story and characters that won't stand on fun's way

And they didn't even need a Kickstarter to make it happen. Don't know about rest of you Codex pals, but this smells like Incline's summoning ritual!

frajaq

Erudite
Promises to be better Bard's Tale then Bard's Tale IV, better RPG then Bard's Tale: Fourgo's Truth and more fun then Bard's Tale: Hearthstoned

In other words: promises fast paced yet turn based fun, to eye appealing aesthetics and cutooo story and characters that won't stand on fun's way

And they didn't even need a Kickstarter to make it happen. Don't know about rest of you Codex pals, but this smells like Incline's summoning ritual!

Nooooooo don't jinx it idiot!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom