Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest - turn-based isometric RPG from Grimrock devs

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://druidstone-game.com

https://af.gog.com/game/druidstone_the_secret_of_the_menhir_forest?as=1649904300

Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest is a fantasy roleplaying game, in which you play the role of a druid who has just been reincarnated. Who are you? How did you die? Your mind is foggy. You only know you are here for a reason. The forest called you here because it needs you.

The world of Druidstone is a vast procedurally generated forest where you explore ancient ruins, battle monsters with spells and swords, and meet interesting friends and foes. Battles will be fought on a two-dimensional grid using a tactical, turn-based battle system. Using your limited resources wisely is important for surviving in this dangerous world. You start the game barehanded, only clad in a simple cloak but as you discover the secrets of the Menhir Forest you will get more powerful and learn new abilities and battle tactics. At the heart of Druidstone is a gripping story which is told through the encounters and characters you will meet. Perhaps you will team up with an ally or two along the way?

Druidstone is developed for the PC by Ctrl Alt Ninja, a group of game designers, programmers and artists who have previously worked on the critically acclaimed Legend of Grimrock games. Ctrl Alt Ninja was founded in 2015 by designer-programmer Petri Häkkinen and art director Juho Salila for creating their next dream project.

The release date of Druidstone has not been set yet. Additional platforms are possible later but right now the team is 100% focused on creating the game for the PC.

In the world of Druidstone, the druids of the Menhir Forest possess a great power: the power of reincarnation. When a druid passes on, through some mysterious process his spirit is able to return from the great void back into the world of living and to his former self.

But with every reincarnation the world itself seems to change: where there was only a thicket of bushes in the forest before, there may be a trail or a shrine of stones now. The ancient ruins in the forest change place and the tunnels and their inhabitants beneath the ground are all different. Even stranger, the denizens of the forest do not seem to notice this at all.

Druidstone is set in a vast procedurally generated forest filled with exciting locations to explore and of course encounters, the meat of every RPG. You will meet interesting non-player characters such as the insane Red Priests who worship a being called Oghmu and the mysterious Traveller. You fight deadly bosses and explore ruins and dungeons in an open-world single-player game. Some of the encounters are friendly but many can lead into conflicts which are resolved using a tactical, turn-based battle system on a two-dimensional grid. The game features roguelike elements, so that when you die the game begins anew with different levels and encounters. Some of the encounters even react to you being reincarnated, so even by dying you can gain deeper understanding to the mysteries of the Menhir Forest.

Even though there are random elements in the game, at the heart of Druidstone is an overarching storyline and key encounters which give structure to the game and avoid it being just a gauntlet with random monsters to kill. In fact, we can’t wait to tell you the epic story we have in our mind! In addition, there are the stories you create as you explore the almost infinite space of procedurally generated content.

screenshots_01-1024x576.jpg

screenshots_04-1024x576.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I always thought it would be fun to start an unfounded rumor.

I hear they have the rights to the Eye of the Beholder trademark!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I always thought it would be fun to start an unfounded rumor.

I hear they have the rights to the Eye of the Beholder trademark!

Nope (as of today):

Registration Date March 23, 1999
Owner (REGISTRANT) Deppi, Dawn Elizabeth INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 36 Grant Drive Holland PENNSYLVANIA 18966

;)

---

Arcane
pleasegiveuslegendofgrimrock3pleasegiveuslegendofgrimrock3pleasegiveuslegendofgrimrock3pleasegiveuslegendofgrimrock3 :negative:

---

Arcane
I can't fap enough thinking about a new chapter :bounce:
The waiting is destroying me, gimme at least the official announcement :negative:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
*waves goodbye*

Yeah, I had suspected for quite a while that their next project wouldn't be Legend of Grimrock 3.

I don't blame them, only one game series based on the same formula as Grimrock has ever made a third chapter... and look at it. Fucking look at it. Eye of the Beholder 3 is a piece of crap. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they looked elsewhere for their next project.

Unless... unless they decided to skip Eye of the Beholder 3 completely and go straight to the next game... Dungeon Hack.

Could it be? Can one dare to dream?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
It's understandable it won't be Legend of Grimrock 3. Legend of Grimrock 2 had about quarter of Grimrock 1 players.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
No shit. I didn't know that. I thought it was a success.
400-something k copies is a success for an indie studio, just not as huge as the first game was.
They remain self-funded and take time to develop a new engine after all, and that being based in one of the more expensive parts of the world.
Compare that to Banner Saga for example - 700k copies for the first game, less than 100k for the second.

I don't blame them, only one game series based on the same formula as Grimrock has ever made a third chapter...
Strictly speaking, Ishar did too. LoL as well, although the formula changed with each iteration.
Somewhat less strictly speaking, DM 2 is more or less the third game in the series, after CSB. Also, an argument could be made that Ravenloft games and Menzoberranzan belong to the same series.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It's understandable it won't be Legend of Grimrock 3. Legend of Grimrock 2 had about quarter of Grimrock 1 players.
Is there any available information about the revenue of LoG and LoG2 rather than the number of sales? Everyone cites the much larger sales of the first game as evidence of a drastic decline in the series' popularity, but this doesn't account for possible steep discounts of digital downloads. :M

DemonKing

Arcane
It would probably be interesting to see what % of people who bought the original actually finished it. If you're not invested enough in a game to finish it then you're unlikely to go for a sequel. I would imagine the hardcore fanbase that bought and finished both would buy LoG3 in droves and there wouldn't be much drop off from LoG2 to LoG3 as there was from the original to LG2. It's probably still a law of diminishing returns issue though so it probably makes sense not to put all of their eggs in one basket.

Not really into roguealikes myself, but happy to keep an open mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom