Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Duel of Champions

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
In case anybody is interested in this, use your seals on the latest expasion box and only on it. The cards are whatever but you will get plenty of wildcards things with which you can buy actually useful stuff from the base set. You never get usefeul cards from those fuking packs anyway. Too bad there was no altar when I started, I wouldn't have wasted fucking 3000 seals on serious shitbox back then.

The new expansion is pretty nice, at least it doesn't have more of those "dispel it or lose" cards as far as I have seen + some counters to other annoying crap. The gayest thing I have seen is the Ammar deck. Although as Zeriel said the Altar of Wishes means that instead of playing with your shitty cards against opponents shitty cards, you now play with your broken shit against opponents broken shit. I don't really know which I prefer.

Beyond the fact that your idea of "broken shit" is different from mine (game is p. balanced as far as I'm concerned) I agree p. much completely. And yes, Ammar is gay as fucking fuck. My biggest grudge with gameplay is that they chose to have non-interactive combo be a thing in a game with no instants. Whoever made that decision should be fucking shot.

What does altar do?

You open packs, you get wild cards. Wild cards can be used to buy specific cards at Altar of Wishes.

Finished first campaign, played one match and got to level 3. Kinda fun so far, but I'm probably playing with the most noobish cards ever, so I haven't seen the real game yet.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Finished first campaign, played one match and got to level 3. Kinda fun so far, but I'm probably playing with the most noobish cards ever, so I haven't seen the real game yet.

Game definetely changes. The high level play is not for everyone. Only thing that can make me personally lose patience is watching an Ammar deck's self-masturbatory play-50-cards-and-win-cycle, because at that point we're not playing, I'm just watching passively as someone finds out whether his deck is ordered correctly. He's basically just playing Solitaire with me as onlooker.

Fortunately, you very rarely see those decks.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Game definetely changes. The high level play is not for everyone. Only thing that can make me personally lose patience is watching an Ammar deck's self-masturbatory play-50-cards-and-win-cycle, because at that point we're not playing, I'm just watching passively as someone finds out whether his deck is ordered correctly. He's basically just playing Solitaire with me as onlooker.

How viable is it to run 4x Silent arbitrers (or whatever the name of the event card is that makes 3 cards per turn max playable) against it?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

How viable is it to run 4x Silent arbitrers (or whatever the name of the event card is that makes 3 cards per turn max playable) against it?

Well, those hosers kind of unveil the bad design at work here. They've foreseen the issues, so they've included hosers. But you never really meet these decks that often, and you're at a disadvantage against "regular" decks if you run too many events which do nothing except against Ammar and similar combo-players.

That said, if you do run those events, they are hosed pretty bad. It's just that you rarely want to. In my deck, I run a single copy of Cosmic Balance and 4 copies of Week of Taxes, but the latter doesn't work that well against Ammar. It's just really good against most people.

So, yeah.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sheesh, sounds like loads of fun!

Meh, any game has problems. My favourite Magic format, Cube draft, also suffers partly from that problem, and the Storm decks in Pauper et al are the same fucking shit. It's worse in Duels because of the lack of instants, but the difference is marginal because you can fight them with events. On the flip-side you very rarely meet those decks and they're actually not that good.

What the game really needs is some kind of side-board mechanic depending on the hero you face.

The main gameplay is still solid as fuck and the game is loads of fun :love:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yeah, sideboards would be great. Don't really know how they'd include them though, since currently everything is best of 1.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah, sideboards would be great. Don't really know how they'd include them though, since currently everything is best of 1.

Pre-fight, before mull, "would you like to sideboard?" Give 30 seconds (to fit with the rest of the fast-paced play) to side-board depending on the hero you can see you are facing. In theory different heroes could mean different decks, but in practice they are all mostly the same type. There is stuff like Adar Rush/Adar 5-6-1, but even then I'd argue that the former is surperior, so.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

Pre-fight, before mull, "would you like to sideboard?" Give 30 seconds (to fit with the rest of the fast-paced play) to side-board depending on the hero you can see you are facing. In theory different heroes could mean different decks, but in practice they are all mostly the same type. There is stuff like Adar Rush/Adar 5-6-1, but even then I'd argue that the former is surperior, so.
Could work I suppose, especially if you unlocked it after 500 elo so there's no extra learning curve or something that developers are afraid of.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Could work I suppose, especially if you unlocked it after 500 elo so there's no extra learning curve or something that developers are afraid of.

Sure, that could work.

Also, sat up reading decks, found this: http://www.mmdoc.net/show_deck/12095/

Looks so fuuuuuuun :bounce:

Looks like a BSB weenie to me.
:troll:

I was thinking about a deck full of Banshee-like ETB creatures, but there doesn't seem to be much support for it. I looked through Necropolis creatures only though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Looks like a BSB weenie to me.
:troll:

I was thinking about a deck full of Banshee-like ETB creatures, but there doesn't seem to be much support for it. I looked through Necropolis creatures only though.

I like weenie :(

I guess in most games it would be BSB, but it's the first time such a blatant weenie deck has been doing well.

Duel seems to avoid ETB effects to avoid blatant 2-for-1s without drawback. Notable exceptions include Banshee (which is more than fair since it requires fucking 6 Might), and Decay Spitter (which is, perhaps, the best creature in the game and obviously a bit of a mistake).

So I'm not sure you'd be able to make such a deck. I don't know for sure though. I would recommend you to have 1 competitive deck before you branch out though, so you have something handy for dem grinds.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ Just remembered there are some new ETB creatures in Forgotten Wars, a unique cycle.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Have been playing Scrolls lately, but installed it yesterday. Seems to be okay, although I can already see that Grunker is right about the difficulty of collecting useful cards.

My opponent just played Ice Splinters + The Song of The Lost. That's what I call fuuuuuuun, Grunker, not some weenie :P It also looks majestic :lol:
Of course, I would prefer not to be on the receiving side of this, but what can you do...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My opponent just played Ice Splinters + The Song of The Lost. That's what I call fuuuuuuun, Grunker, not some weenie :P It also looks majestic :lol:
Of course, I would prefer not to be on the receiving side of this, but what can you do...

Ice Splinters + Song of the Lost is true gayness. Current Ammar is more gay though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So, any hints on first set building? I started with the necropolis set.

Spend first seals on The Box, or The Serious Box if you are patient. Buy reinforcement packs with gold. Don't spend wildcards. Add cards you perceive as good to your deck.

Once you start getting a hang of the game, go here for some inspiration: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/792606-Decklists-by-Tier

That's a list of decks you often see doing well (quite the broad field for a card-game actually). Make a deck list you want to start working towards, and grind towards that deck :)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So, any hints on first set building? I started with the necropolis set.

Get a playset of decay spitter and puppet master.

Decay Spitter = yes. Puppet Master won't help you much on later elos, things get too fast-paced for it unless you're playing a seriously stalling deck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom