Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Duel of Champions

Zeriel

Arcane
Academy keeps racking up the most insane mega creatures. I know they are really strict about the thematic "flavor" of the sides, but damn, I wish Necro could have just one big bruiser to play around with.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Apparently they're about to release "base set 2" which as I understand it will put base set 1 'out of print' and then coming expansions will do the same to the current expansions. I wonder if they're going to introduce different formats ala magic or if this is just some weird marketing strategy/pay 2 win strategy.

Zeriel

Arcane
AFAIR it's an attempt to make the game fair to new players. The "good cards" will be brought back in this new base set, and the mediocre to average ones discarded and lots of new ones added. So instead of having to purchase super expensive expansion cards, all the good expansion cards and good base set cards will all have the cheaper base set cost.

MTG does something similar from what I understand.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If anyone wants some kind of bonus code for this, which I got in my Might & Magic X box, let me know by quoting this post, tagging or PMing me.
First come first served, but older Codexers have priority over 2014 and 2013 newfags.

Hoaxmetal got it.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If anyone wants some kind of bonus code for this, which I got in my Might & Magic X box, let me know by quoting this post, tagging or PMing me.
First come first served, but older Codexers have priority over 2014 and 2013 newfags.

I would have loved it, but don't play much after I started playing more MTGO. I bet Jaedar would though.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I'll take it, haven't played in a time, wanted to check out the upcoming (or released?) card changes.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Bloody power outage made me miss this opportunity for free stuff :outrage:

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
How does this compare to Hearthstone? Hearthstone appears to be a copy of this, almost exactly. Concept wise anyway. But Hearthstone appears to be more popular online, maybe because of Blizzard?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
How does this compare to Hearthstone? Hearthstone appears to be a copy of this, almost exactly. Concept wise anyway. But Hearthstone appears to be more popular online, maybe because of Blizzard?
Hearthstone is simpler but has draft mode(arena) I think this and blizzard is why it is much more popular(DoC is shit at doing advertisement, seriously)

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Trading card game isn't an original concept either way. Both have their fair share of flaws. I like that how monster placement works in DoC, adds a nice layer of complexity (just enough) that Hearthstone lacks. Then again Hearthstone is more laid back and more fun to play (for some reason) and it has arena mode which is great, especially when you have a small amount of cards in your collection.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The two games are pretty different, but both pretty simple as far as TCG's go. DoC has a bit more complexity and depth, but the lack of Draft mode really, really sucks.

AMG

Arbiter
DoC has good base mechanics but rather boring card design.
Heathstone is simple as fuk but cards have fun effects.

Overall DoC is better, but blizzard + flashy graphics + draft mode means everybody plays hearthstone.
By DoC is better I mean it is better designed and overall more interesting to play as a whole. I shudder at the thought that there are people playing constructed in HS.
However unless you want you want to spend shitloads of money on cards then you are better off playing hearthstone as well, because draft. Grinding for cards in DoC gets pretty unbearable after a while and while it is fairly easy to assemble a competitive deck, well you are stuck with this one deck. Half the fun in these games lies in deckbuilding after all.

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
What do you mean by a 'Draft' mode? Do you mean like the Arena in HS?

Phinx

Augur
No matter what I say or do, I can not for the life of me get my friends that play hearthstone to give this game a shot. As for a comparison I feel Hearthstone and DOC are very different personally, Hearth is set up in a way where you kind of want to pick your spots, when to use a card and when to hold onto it based on predicting what you're opponent has up their sleeves, DOC is a little more about sticking to a specific strat, setting the pace and deviating based on what you're opponent does.

DOC does offer a lot more options/strategies, which is great, but you are going to run into a lot of WTF moments with some strats taking an absolute massive dump on you. I prefer DOC myself but sadly the community is dying off, and convincing new players to try it is tough because it is so unknown.

Also yes, draft mode/arena mode ala Hearthstone is desperately needed.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
DOC is dying off because the business strategy is kind of harmful, honestly. Being out of the game for just a little while will screw you on cards, and no limited format means there's no interesting meta-game to the pack-economy. The fundamentals of the game are better than Hearthstone IMO, but the support just isn't there.

Phinx

Augur
DOC is dying off because the business strategy is kind of harmful, honestly. Being out of the game for just a little while will screw you on cards, and no limited format means there's no interesting meta-game to the pack-economy. The fundamentals of the game are better than Hearthstone IMO, but the support just isn't there.

Yeah, totally agree with you, and don't even get me started on the part about how the seven day reward resets if you forget to log in for one freaking day. Forgetting to log in on the last day is just so painful :x.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, totally agree with you, and don't even get me started on the part about how the seven day reward resets if you forget to log in for one freaking day. Forgetting to log in on the last day is just so painful :x.
Yeah. It's a much better game at the core, but everything around it is so much worse.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Special announcement friends! The april expansion will contain the following:

The Heart of Nightmares expansion: 100 new cards adding up to the previously announced Base Set 2 cards list
Lots of new game content, including:

o New game formats
o New achievements
o New solo campaigns and puzzles
o New totally revamped UI
o New rankings and matchmaking system
o Rebalanced cards
o New deckbuilder functionalitieso A powerful new game engine

Can new game formats be the much desired drafting? I am pretty psyched for puzzles too. I wonder what they mean by engine. More bloom on effects?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaft, come on

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom