Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Duelyst, CCG/TBRPG hybrid

Gulnar

Scholar
So, why isn't there a topic for this game? It's a CCG/TBRPG hybrid, mixing games like heartstone/magic: the gathering (you collect cards, you build decks) with things like final fantasy tactics/tactics ogre (so when you summon something the thing actually need to move toward your opponent and hit him, and so on). The game isn't actually out, but it may as well be, since Rockpapershotgun gave away 10k keys AND if you didn't pick it up you can anyway ask on the duelyst forum/reddit for one.
The game is actually fun and pretty balanced, at least faction-wise.
The factions are Lyonar (that can run groups of minion near the general to buff them and has a strong healing theme), Songhai (backstabbing minions and direct damage), Abyssan (swarm/control/sacrifice theme), Vanar (battlefield control by summoning walls and having minions that are stronger if they're on the opponent side), Vetruvian (minion-spawning 'walls', card draw, and minions that can attack a whole line), and Magmar (big, dumb creatures, that grow with time or respawn when killed). On top of choosing a faction, you can also use neutral minions.
Here are some screens:
maxresdefault.jpg

3020b8ec89d10144bb1ebbc91ba1d6f6e61babc1b986.jpg

J1M

Arcane
FYI, this game is 100% hearthstone played on a grid.

The card system, the mana system, the online league structure, combat resolution, etc. is all nearly identical to hearthstone. Changes include your hero having 25hp instead of 30hp.

That's not to say that this is a poorly made game. But it is very easy to explain to someone.

Gulnar

Scholar
FYI, this game is 100% hearthstone played on a grid.

The card system, the mana system, the online league structure, combat resolution, etc. is all nearly identical to hearthstone. Changes include your hero having 25hp instead of 30hp.

That's not to say that this is a poorly made game. But it is very easy to explain to someone.

The grid in itself is a big change. There are effects that reposition both yours minions and enemies, and kiting is a effective tactic, especially when coupled with body blocks. More than once i lost or won a game because i walled someone so he couldn't summon anything at all.
Other changes include the fact that unlike heartstone, the general hits back even without a 'weapon' and that 'weapons' of heartstone fame don't break on use, but on damage, so for example, things that give the general range or blast are a lot better than in HS. And there are no 'secrets'. Aaaand you draw 2 each turn and can 'recycle' a card each turn. But yes, other than those thing - and obvious changes like the theme of each general/faction) the game is very close to hs. But then, it's not like hs was innovative in itself, being a mtg clone with a new setting and the lack of some mechanics.

Latro

Arcane
bump

i'm playing and I like it.

no i've never played any other card game before

right now it's single card draw and each "general" has a unique power to build decks around, so I kinda like it.

Explorerbc

Arcane
I tried it, but I can't stand the artstyle.

I think Faeria looks like something more to my liking.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Been playin' this a bit. To say it has similarities to hearthstone would be an understatement.

Here's Cairne Bloodhoof and Boulderfist ogre (the free basic pile of stats)

498.png
60-boulderfist-ogre.png

Now here is Draugar Lord and Stormmetal Golem (the free basic pile of stats)

260px-Draugar_Lord.png
Stormmetal_Golem.png

Its kind of shameless really.

Game is still fun though since net decking isn't rampant yet.

Archibald

Arcane
I don't know, its not like Hearthstone invented these concepts. Pretty much every card game has some kinda "free basic pile of stats" and so on.

Gulnar

Scholar
It's kinda twitching, tbh. The playerbase has shrunk a lot - mostly because the devs are cretins, and made two expansion packs that were absolute shit - but now the game seems to be getting mechanical better - which is a shame, since the competitive scene died like a dog shot in an alley. Some people still play, but i wouldn't say that it's that much worth playing, tbh.

About the p2w factor: well, it's LESS p2w than heartstone, for example. You get dailies that give a decent amount of gold, you have a freeish cosmetic loot chest every month, and you get every now and then free packs from the boss battles. So yes, you can still power your collection by pumping it full of cash, but you can play competitively going f2p, provided you focus on 1-2 factions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom