Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
There's no teleporting but there are some shortcuts
(elevators, drawbridges)
Does it feature rape?
During my whole playthrough I remember 2 females only (in a male prison) so you can imagine the rest yourself.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Vince was kind enough to give me access to Dungeon Rats ver. 0.9.0+ and for the last couple of days I've been playing Dungeon Rats as much as I could. After about 30 hours I've finished my first run on default difficulty (Murderous Psychopath) with an 8 Charisma guy which allows for a 4 men team (in my case: Marcus, Ismail and Roxana).

You finished on hardest difficulty in just around 30 hours? Either game is too easy or too short?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
30 hours means about 30 min per fight, which is a lot. I'm sure Goral can beat it in 10-15 hours on his next playthrough now that he's familiar with it.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
As it turns out, playing solo was easier, I was surprised. At the end I've become a demi-god, I felt much more powerful than in AoD with Power Armour. I've had 7 STR (started with 4), 10 Perception, 10 CON, 10 DEX, 4 INT and 2 CHA, alchemy, crafting, swords, crossbows, critical strike maxed + tons of the rest SP invested in synergies. Plus I was regenerating and had meteor gear
smug-15.png
. Iron man is an entirely different beast, 2 fights in particular could be very problematic (and they are near the end).
30 hours means about 30 min per fight, which is a lot. I'm sure Goral can beat it in 10-15 hours on his next playthrough now that he's familiar with it.
Took me about 13 hours, although discounting alt+tabbing it would be more like 12. But I've spent at least 2 hours going back and forth to my stash (I accidentally told my porter to fuck off). I would play more but in Poland we have All Saints' Day tomorrow and I have some stuff to do.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
As it turns out, playing solo was easier, I was surprised. At the end I've become a demi-god, I felt much more powerful than in AoD with Power Armour. I've had 7 STR (started with 4), 10 Perception, 10 CON, 10 DEX, 4 INT and 2 CHA, alchemy, crafting, swords, crossbows, critical strike maxed + tons of the rest SP invested in synergies. Plus I was regenerating and had meteor gear
smug-15.png
. Iron man is an entirely different beast, 2 fights in particular could be very problematic (and they are near the end).

Sweet. I guess I'll solo. Never liked sharing SP anyways.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It's definitely worth the money, I already have 44 hours in and will have at least twice as much. I want to finish the game in iron man mode, create a charisma 10 guy (might be harder than CHA 8) and try different builds competing with such monsters like Eyestabber, Kirinyale, NaVil and others. I've played only two times so far and I'm not bored but I'm an AoD fan so I'm not sure how the rest will perceive this game. If you fancy dungeon crawler games or enjoy tactical games (like Desperados or Jagged Alliance) you will definitely enjoy it.

Despite receiving the key from Vince it's a day one purchase for me on Steam and GOG.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Aenra

nah fuck that, lol.. Someone give me 13 hours of free time? And never mind the game. Who's feeding you people? :)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
my collected impressions so far:

ant whacking simulator 2016 is p fun

also VD, I would suggest putting up a "Do you really want to dismiss dudeguy, y/n?" screen after clicking a character portrait in the charsheet manager.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Another thing I would suggest: tying dude selection everywhere (on map, in inventory, etc) to hotkeys.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
how hard it is compared to AoD anyway?

i mean there's no arts and civil skills to get in the way in this one, and in AoD so far, playing exclusively combat build is pretty easy. AoD is most tricky to figure out hybrid build (like my previous failed archer in the tips and trick topic). if the hardest difficulty is equal to AoD base game, i expect some AoD experts won't have too much trouble in this one.

(i don't really consider myself an expert too though. furthers i've killed is around the malaria achievement. haven't tried getting the 200+ kills / run achievement)

maybe the combat design and encounter is bigger this time around?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Not after Goral going all natural born killer on me and beating the game on Hard twice like it was nothing. Working on a balance fix.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom