Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by Goral, Oct 30, 2016.

1. kubics Novice

kubics
    Project: Eternity
    Duty done. Now have to get kids to sleep early. Thanks Iron Tower.

^ Top  
  2. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Yes, I noticed. Also GOG fixed now their broken link and added the discount.

I can imagine why you prefer when people buy it at Steam, as the game release is buried below the huge sale at GOG at the moment.

^ Top  
  3. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    downloading now
    :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

if i don't sleep tonight and miss my meeting tomorrow i'll sue ITS ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Whatever's more convenient for you. Thanks.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    First "Bad Rats" joke on gog.com :D.

"So this isn't related to Bad Rats?"

^ Top  
  7. covr Cipher

covr
    And the game is on the Gog.com main page atm. Such exposure might help with sales a bit.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Gakkone pretty cool guy eh Patron

Gakkone
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Bought and downloaded. :shredder:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Gauldur's Bait Learned

Gauldur's Bait
    Playing right now, very good first impressions, exactly what I was wanting!:bounce::dance:

Okay, so a brief stream of words about impressions. Same style combat as in AoD (duh). Placement of your characters before combat is great. I made an archer, and ran out arrows. Love the resource scarcity. Skill point splitting is ok, but they are lost if your character dies of course, so there is a good incentive to keep your characters alive as well, and really trying to play strategically because of this.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    Show Spoiler
    Probably too early to ask, but has anyone managed to kill Roxana during the fights leading up to the river camp? I've taken her down from the cross and recruited her, but I noticed it was possible (albeit very hard) to hit her with ranged weapons when fighting her soldiers and wondered if there was any significant reward to killing her instead of letting her "slip away".

Game is great so far.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    My impressions are hugely positive.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

:trigglypuff:

I can imagine a vile grin that split Vince's beard in half, when he answered.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    My first impression is that AoD's ruleset wasn't great for fighting solitary/groups of monsters and it still isn't it. It's not D&D and I hope I'm done with kicking ants and scorpions with their amazing variety of attacks and abilities forever.

The human encounters, they're good enough (although I dislike bioware scripted stuff "oh you killed everybody but leader got away!! :shittydog:").
    Music is quite good.

Getting crafting companion just when you find first crafting station is decline. Wtf I've put points into crafting on my main. Oh well, he died is a first fight anyway poor scrub.

Sulik Marcus and charisma-checked crossbowman seem like most useful companions.
    Although if you concider AoD's leveling/percentage curve (aka 5 into weapon but 10 into dodge) going group of 3-4 people might actually NOT be the easiest way of playing the game.

I'm happy there's a small amount of C&C and an option to finish content at your own pace (heh, tbh "choose whom to kill first" is concidered a major choice in modern RPGs).

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Bought. I thought the AoD combat system would be really good in a party based rpg. Now I have a chance to see for myself. :salute:

^ Top  
  14. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Kill her and she won't get away. :dance:

• Brofist x 6
    • Funny x 3
    • Salute x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    It's great stuff, but here's an important question: how do you find a new pickaxe? I dropped or decomposed my pickaxe a while back because I didn't realise the significance of it. Now, I can't get the ore and reagents that require it.

Basically, do I need to start over because of this small, early mistake?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    Also where is thread for reporting some minor stuff like typos and another things?

^ Top  
  17. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    i sometimes aren't able to end my turn.

i would just press pspace or the end turn button with mouse, it just don't response. i have to restart the battle, or even sometimes it somehow responded with some delays

^ Top  
  18. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    Update your signature ^

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    No interactions later with her then or an option to recruit in party?

edit. nvm, good thing I followed my RPG instincts to never kill characters with unique portraits aka Meltiades Axiom :M

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've played for 106 minutes and I am notsure about this one. Killing scorpions and ants and thugs gets really tiresome. Most rpgs are good despite their combat because they have other strength (like romancing 15y old trannies in obsidian games for example), but this one feels like they took all the strength of AoD out and stringed all bad encounters into and endless barage of mediocracy. Even AoD's combat felt better (and it was mostly a narrative base games, while DR is a combat-focused one), mostly because combat had some kind of closure (like in arena you can become master of the arena, pointless but cool and gives you some new interactions base od reputation in future i believe). In this one there is no closure or satisfaction - you reward and goal is to go to another cave to fight some fire ants. It honestly feels like you are trying to grind max level in fallout 1 before going into first tower by killing radscrorptions in random encounter. But in fallout 1 you could slaughter civillians in cities after that and feel like bad ass, in this one - this grind is the whole game (I experienced for 106 minutes playing). If they want to make a combat focused game they should play Silent Storm as it is the best game of that kind.

This is just my first expressions, all might change later.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    • decline decline x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You can

^ Top  
  22. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    First impressions and some questions

Fuck me. I'm dying like shit in solo psychopath. I think Vince took Goral criticisms too far.

Do you need to kill Barca and his team before you venture deep caverns or not?

The ants are great. Well done, guys!

Not being able to use metal at the beginning makes heavy crafting investment useless.

Minor quibbles and quality life suggestions

When you are in the screen to get stuff from the ground, you should be able to leave the screen pressing “I”. It’s more intuitive than pressing “Esc”.

I still don’t understand why you can’t equip something clicking two times.

When you die, your companions continue fighting. I have the impression this makes the reload much more slower.

^ Top  
  23. oneself Arcane Shitposter

oneself
    A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
    Wait until you hit creatures that can't be DR reduced :mixedemotions:

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ᚱᚨᚷᛖᚠᚢᛈ Unwanted Queued Shitposter

Unwanted
    Whose idea was it to give the enemies practically 2 sequential turns? All it does is making me run backwards and look for a bottleneck like a door or bridge...(with a team I would probably try to take one enemy down instead).

UI doesnt scale to full screen size, text gets small.

AI creates artificial bottleneck too which is very nice, like if there are 3 tiles around you but the passage to them is 2 tiles wide so the ants will attack diagonally and will not try to move past.

The feeling of creating armor from ants is pretty atmospheric.

I like this gaym more than AoD.

e e |
    @

Solo Shield gal is a reload fest against five ants (description says four...), I guess I'll have to use the neurostims and antidote and nets... I dont have enough armor yet to protect against poison...

^ Top  
  25. Jrpgfan Savant

Jrpgfan
    Been having lots of fun on solo psycopath. Was getting my ass whooped at the second giant worm encounter before I had to stop playing.

Btw, I'd like to report a technical issue. On fullscreen mode when I exit the game my screen goes black and the only way to get back to desktop is by manually rebooting the computer. I can't minimize/switch to desktop with the game running either.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)