Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Been having lots of fun on solo psycopath. Was getting my ass whooped at the second giant worm encounter before I had to stop playing.

Btw, I'd like to report a technical issue. On fullscreen mode when I exit the game my screen goes black and the only way to get back to desktop is by manually rebooting the computer. I can't minimize/switch to desktop with the game running either.

If you get pass that I'd love to know how. Its a choice between that and the elevator. Both of them are not doable.

Shadenuat

Arcane
How do you get bridge up after 3 worm rape fight?
Don't get the logic, seems like alternative way to get to tunnels instead of fighting plants
Guess I'm overthinking things

Last edited:

Emmanuel2

Savant
I'm now stuck at the fight with the Emperor. This is on Solo Psychopath, it was originally an ironman run aswell but died at the ant queen because of a mad miss streak.

Been at it for an hour hoping for a good RNG streak since some of the fights after the Molerats become very "Hope and pray that RNG will be on your side".

wK15kpA.jpg

And I just found out about the wait command on this fight, would've been handy before.

As for the game, I haven't played AoD yet but there are people saying that Dodge is reliable in AoD even until endgame. In my experience, even at max dodge and 135 defense everything can hit me 3/5 of the time at this point especially the black warrior constructors.

After finishing off the Praetorians then just explore around.

Emmanuel2

Savant
How the fuck did you people solo the forge?

Was it the one with the Enforcer or the one with Scaurus?

If it was the one with Scaurus, I used the 40-60 damage bomb and used Liquid Fire to zone the spearmen and basher. It was a damage race since Scaurus is very accurate, has a whetstone'd weapon, and can hit corners if you're walling between the Bowmen.

As for the Enforcer, the elevator to the right makes a nice chokepoint + liquid fire makes the early part easier. Used nets on the hard hitters.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Elhoim another QoL feature request: when you're in the loot screen and there are multiple bodies to loot, have the mouse scroll wheel scroll the list of bodies when it's in the center of the screen (over the take all / transfer buttons).

Parabalus

Arcane
Really enjoyed this as 4/10/4/8/4/10 with crossbow. There are some really interesting high CHA companions, I wonder what high INT gives you.

The crafting interface and general feedback improvements compared to AoD are top notch, gonna be hard to look at AoD again.

I never did AoD with a high STR char so it was really funny to watch zerkerd up companions one-hiting enemies. Game is really good from start till finish, encourage everyone to get it.

Don't get the logic, seems like alternative way to get to tunnels instead of fighting plants
Guess I'm overthinking things

It's there to allow you to easily backtrack since there is a locked chest behind the worms. Puzzled me too, nothing more to it.

Probably too early to ask, but has anyone managed to kill Roxana during the fights leading up to the river camp? I've taken her down from the cross and recruited her, but I noticed it was possible (albeit very hard) to hit her with ranged weapons when fighting her soldiers and wondered if there was any significant reward to killing her instead of letting her "slip away".

Game is great so far.

If you drop her the first time you get 25 SP for yourself only.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Burned out on temple with copy-pasted constructs fights. Again, Forge and Enforcer fights were good, but anything non-human is terrible and are just trash encounters. Remove those extra 10-20 fights from the game and it would only win. The only one I liked was 3 worms but it's optional so you could probably outlevel them.

What's with the habit to repeat same shit over and over again?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Burned out on temple with copy-pasted constructs fights. Again, Forge and Enforcer fights were good, but anything non-human is terrible and are just trash encounters. Remove those extra 10-20 fights from the game and it would only win. The only one I liked was 3 worms but it's optional so you could probably outlevel them.

What's with the habit to repeat same shit over and over again?

The scorpions are a chore.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter

If it was the one with Scaurus, I used the 40-60 damage bomb and used Liquid Fire to zone the spearmen and basher. It was a damage race since Scaurus is very accurate, has a whetstone'd weapon, and can hit corners if you're walling between the Bowmen.

As for the Enforcer, the elevator to the right makes a nice chokepoint + liquid fire makes the early part easier. Used nets on the hard hitters.

Why are you stuck on the Emperor? Is the 40-60 damage bomb not cutting it?

Emmanuel2

Savant

Why are you stuck on the Emperor? Is the 40-60 damage bomb not cutting it?

To my knowledge, there is only one 40-60 bomb in the entire game up to that point also since Scaurus would probably massacre me in seconds if I didn't kill the other basher/spearmen fast enough.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Does this game feature rape? Yes, it rapes me. Well, I made a 10 dex 10 charisma, 8 perception character specializing in daggers, alchemy, dodge and critical strike :p Some fights are ridiculous with this char, like the Claimers after the Ant Queen. I like how there's a limited amount of supplies in the starting area (haven't killed Berca (spelling?) yet).

agris

Arcane
Patron
Does this game feature rape? Yes, it rapes me. Well, I made a 10 dex 10 charisma, 8 perception character specializing in daggers, alchemy, dodge and critical strike :p Some fights are ridiculous with this char, like the Claimers after the Ant Queen. I like how there's a limited amount of supplies in the starting area (haven't killed Berca (spelling?) yet).
In what way were the claimers ridiculous? They kicked my ass until I adopted alpha-strike tactics against them. My character is objectively horrible tho, made a lot of bad chardev decisions but am in too deep now and don't want to restart.

5/8/4/7/8/8 with a focus on daggers, throwing and alchemy.
rating_prosper.png

hivemind

Companions being disposable fodder instead of kill for therapy hobos is great.

Throwing away the lives of two lads to get myself better gear(fight against Barca with Marcus and the crossbow subhuman before going to the Queen tunnels) is a surprisingly comfysmug feeling.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Been having lots of fun on solo psycopath. Was getting my ass whooped at the second giant worm encounter before I had to stop playing.

Btw, I'd like to report a technical issue. On fullscreen mode when I exit the game my screen goes black and the only way to get back to desktop is by manually rebooting the computer. I can't minimize/switch to desktop with the game running either.

If you get pass that I'd love to know how. Its a choice between that and the elevator. Both of them are not doable.

I couldn't win the 3 giant worms fight but I managed to get past the guards on the upper cave. I kited them towards the crystal cave entrance while throwing bombs and acid. When they got weaker, which was by the second corner towards the entrance, I engaged and killed them and waited there for the crossbow man to approach and killed him. That's how I beat that fight with my build on solo psycopath(hammer dodger with 6 alchemy) and the gear and tools I had in hands at the time, but YMMV depending on your build and gear i guess.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
In what way were the claimers ridiculous? They kicked my ass until I adopted alpha-strike tactics against them. My character is objectively horrible tho, made a lot of bad chardev decisions but am in too deep now and don't want to restart.

rating_prosper.png

CON in this game is really the primary defensive stat, especially solo. You want to max defense, which means 10 CON and 10 DEX or STR. I have 10 DEX 8 CON char with 126 dodge and I am still getting hit half of the time.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter

I couldn't win the 3 giant worms fight but I managed to get past the guards on the upper cave. I kited them towards the crystal cave entrance while throwing bombs and acid. When they got weaker, which was by the second corner towards the entrance, I engaged and killed them and waited there for the crossbow man to approach and killed him. That's how I beat that fight with my build on solo psycopath(hammer dodger with 6 alchemy) and the gear and tools I had in hands at the time, but YMMV depending on your build and gear i guess.

I nearly beat upper elevator fight by 1 hit worth of damage. I can't do anything to the worms. Best I did is taking down two young worms then elder worms slaps me for 15 and it is all over.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Finally finished the game after rerolling into a block spec, overall it took 9 hours to finish. It seems that I was too quick to judge about the overtuning, my bad.

ZzoYBhC.jpg
AY5c5Gk.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
Roxana the one womyn army
vWTjxLR.jpg

Kill em kill em darling

Finished gaem, checked the endings. The portal one is the funniest.

Overall, a mixed experience - it's just too linear and there are too many trashy encounters. But there are also good ones. If you like AoD combat, you're getting what you paid for, 15-20 hours of more AoD combat for a very low price. But there's a point when even good AoD combat is just too much. I didn't care about post-Emperor content at all and resorted to grenade spam, whackamole with a hammer and cheap tricks.
I'm not sure about the setting too, the Bottom made sense, but then you follow from man-made tunnels into caves infested with plants and then there are people again... levels look more like decorations really.

But again, for this sort of content, the price is very fair and nobody promised me Arx Fatalis of Decadence or whatever.

However, giving levels more thought, adding some dialogue to characters and work, maybe some puzzles instead of dumb plant fights, and I'd pay 12-15$ instead of 9$ easily for AoD dungeon crawler.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

rating_prosper.png

They are ridiculous with the character I made, not in general. I'm also trying to conserve resources so I'm not going in that fight with 100% hp on all characters, including mine. The two ranged ones are the problematic ones, since they can pick and choose who to attack and they are smart about it. Not to mention that besides Marcus the other two characters are degenerates.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
okay rainer (or was it reinard? i am bad with names) fight is the first fight i'm actually stuck. before, it is hard because i want everyone to survive. i could easily win if i use people as cannon fodder. this one, i am actually struggling.

but usually it is a matter of positioning. most fights goes as trial and error, finding position combination of my parties. when i find the sweet spot it's usually become easier and i just find the right attacks and strategy to actually defeat them.
the positioning feature is awesome, and the tiles placement is really well designed. it is still unforgiving, but when you find that sweet spot that's perfect for your party build, it is become tolerable. then when you find the strategy to bait the enemies to the position you want to, it becomes easy.

anyway old town is just a stream of endless fights. :salute:

Emmanuel2

Savant
Reinad? Is that the boss who drinks berserker on the first turn?

If it is:

Use liquid fire on the gate if you have them then you can just focus on the annoying alchemist and basher + making reinad lose his berserker buff (he has sick AR relative to the point he is at in the game so this is a big problem). After that reposition on the bridge and fight Reinad 1v1 or, since you have a party, go all out with a tanker and 3 ranged users.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Finished game, some opinions:

For me, the game showed that AoD combat isn't enough to make a proper good game. DR isn't necessarily bad, but it made me realize just how much of AoD's combat fun for me came from preparation, sequencing and that sort of nonlinearity in general. DR is so very very linear. Towards the end I also think it degenerates a bit, similar to fallout where regular hits are nothing, but one or two crits and you're gone.

I also think some of the fights repeat a bit much and can get a bit samey.

I had fun though.

Beat the game with a 4/5/7/4/10/10 alchemist blocker. Neat build, regret not getting crafting8 alchemy 8 instead of spear 7 alchemy 10 though. I think I used the spear like twice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom