Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Mozg

Arcane
Vault Dweller

What is the current formula for how gained SP is scaled and divided among size 1,2,3,4 parties?

Luka-boy

Arcane
I love these little references in the dialogues.
11bslb.jpg

calebrhs9i.jpg

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Right after killin Barca, going up the elevator, winning the fight.
kZFTcL6.png

Goddamn choices and consequences... Now I want 10 Cha...
4HuMI7K.png

Tick Tock Crocodile

How've people been tackling the Barca fight on Solo Psychopath? Even getting the archer to hit his allies and making use of the chokepoint over at the right, I don't seem to be able to handle it without a ton of retries.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
How've people been tackling the Barca fight on Solo Psychopath? Even getting the archer to hit his allies and making use of the chokepoint over at the right, I don't seem to be able to handle it without a ton of retries.

Poison helps. That and just throw everything into defense. I think I already maxed by defensive skill at that point.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Newest GOG review: https://af.gog.com/game/dungeon_rats?as=1649904300

I already had a not very high opinion of its predecessor but I wanted to give the Developers another chance because I saw how much effort went into their games. But this actually was an even worse playing experience for me.The story is okay as well as the presentation but the game hung itself up constantly during combat so I couldn't end my turns and I had to alt-f4 and restart the fight.

Fighting itself (which is basically the only relevant game mechanic) is not challenging as advertised. It is just tedious, random and arbitrary. It doesn't matter how much you prepare and set up your group, you will die anyway, reload, die again, reload, die again and so on. Calling it unfun would be too kind, because it just comes down get a lucky streak of rolls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tick Tock Crocodile

Poison helps. That and just throw everything into defense. I think I already maxed by defensive skill at that point.

Huh. I was using poison and running at it with 7 dodge, iirc. Guess I might have to try it again with 8 dodge and less in weapon skill.

You mean before ant queen? Don't know. After he is an easy pray.

Yeah, before. Haven't tried the ant queen thing yet.

Old One

Arcane
Here's my QoL suggestion: allow the player to sort his crafting recipes by dragging and dropping in the list.

Turning crafting recipes into loot is a very good move. They now take the place of spells-as-loot from most other reputable cRPGs. The next step is to turn modifications into loot, so you must explore and defeat enemies in order to learn how to make your crafted items Masterwork (for example).

While I'm at it with the crafting suggestions, it would be snazzy if the crafter could choose the color of the item he's creating, assuming there is more than one color available. Leather armors typically come in both black and brown, and sometimes a combination of the two. If you're crafting one you only ever get black, however.

FWIW, I sometimes edit my save games to get the color I want.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
will we ever worry about running out of poisons anyway? those early ants gave me like 25+ stings. i've always been such a hoarder when playing game, and really never use items unless i died too much. in this i just use poison every fights i go into. one poison last for 2 fights, sometimes 3. insects are immune to them so i don't use it.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I'm not sure about the setting too, the Bottom made sense, but then you follow from man-made tunnels into caves infested with plants and then there are people again...

It's kind of a back entrance, you check the "main" entrance to the molerats tunnels after Yngvar's encounter.

Emmanuel2

Savant
will we ever worry about running out of poisons anyway? those early ants gave me like 25+ stings. i've always been such a hoarder when playing game, and really never use items unless i died too much. in this i just use poison every fights i go into. one poison last for 2 fights, sometimes 3. insects are immune to them so i don't use it.

Nope, had around 20+ still at the end of my solo/psycho run. You'll also get another batch of poison glands when you hit the centipedes and scorpions.

They can also be mixed with a modifier to become potent poison vials so, as such, they're like much more abundant kadura leaves.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Game "freezes" for me as soon as it goes into the first dialogue. Game doesn't say it crashed, but the screen doesn't update. It accepts input because a couple of times I've pressed the keyboard shortcuts for dialogue, alt tabbed out and back in and I can see it updated, but the screen is frozen still. Tried 32-bit and 64-bit.

Same thing happens on AoD on 1920x1080 fullscreen 64-bit, but 32-bit works. 32-bit doesn't work here.\

edit: 32-bit works now (wut)

Last edited:

KoriTama

Novice
after Ismail's rescue, i went back to previous maps and ...

now, party is too big(even lifeless meatshield raised from dead with fullhealth).

Also, when this party goes to another map i get this error:

kZFTcL6.png

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Where exactly is construct? I finished Enforcer fight, but cant still find him. Already fighting constructs in temple (i see "demon" nearby) Shouldnt be construct before "demon"?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
IIRC, instead of taking the elevator, go straight. After a couple of fights against some constructs you should find him.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
You mean instead of going into "temple" go ahead, there is bridge and 4 construct fight on it.

I use crossbow Gaus who cant do much dmg even with AP bolts, have Ysmir (fcking useless, "best fighting NPC", get hit 80%+ of time has 50% chance to hit even with 9 in axes, do bad dmg to 10+ armor constructs), roxanna (only 1 who can harm them) and useless crafter guy (need lvl 10 craft). Struggling a lot, will probably replay.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Game "freezes" for me as soon as it goes into the first dialogue. Game doesn't say it crashed, but the screen doesn't update. It accepts input because a couple of times I've pressed the keyboard shortcuts for dialogue, alt tabbed out and back in and I can see it updated, but the screen is frozen still. Tried 32-bit and 64-bit.

Same thing happens on AoD on 1920x1080 fullscreen 64-bit, but 32-bit works. 32-bit doesn't work here.\

edit: 32-bit works now (wut)
Radeon? Which drivers are you using?

after Ismail's rescue, i went back to previous maps and ...

now, party is too big(even lifeless meatshield raised from dead with fullhealth).

Also, when this party goes to another map i get this error:

kZFTcL6.png
Try the test build, it should fix all these issues:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/531930/discussions/0/282992646978280606/

Tick Tock Crocodile

That's why. That terrain has no easy chokes you really have to out-level them to beat them.

Oh, so you can do the exact same fight later on? I was trying to beat him first because I thought taking him on after the ant queen would mean a harder fight/ambush/less rewards or something. Guess I'll go see what's behind Door No.2, then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom