Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview Dungeon Siege III Previews

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Jul 26, 2010.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Dungeon Siege III, currently in development by Obsidian Entertainment, receives some previewing.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Gamesradar concede that the <a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/dungeon-siege-3/preview/dungeon-siege-3-first-look/a-20100719172119139033/g-20100607124119104055" target="_blank">graphics are stunning</a>.</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>Perhaps the most striking new feature was the one that showcased the game&rsquo;s stunning graphics. You&rsquo;ll be able to survey your surroundings more effectively by using vistas &ndash; vantage points in areas that let you see far out into the distance, giving a better glimpse of the areas and goals that lie in wait. This has allowed the developers at Obsidian to remove the unsightly mini-map that mucks up the view in most Action RPGs from Dungeon Siege 3&rsquo;s HUD. It might seem like a terrible design choice at first, but once you see the beautiful landscapes stretching before you from a vista point, we doubt you&rsquo;ll miss that ugly thing.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>NowGamer is excited by the promise of some <a href="http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/previews/xbox-360/1166/dungeon-siege-iii" target="_blank">dungeon crawling</a>.</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>As ever, the emphasis in Dungeon Siege 3 will be on Diablo-like hack-and-slash combat against hordes of D&amp;D-style enemies with the usual loot drops, weapons and other goodies to run around gathering as you quest. As you'd expect, Obsidian is promising the usual gamut of dungeon crawler environments, from snowy forests to deep dark dungeons for you to explore, but there&rsquo;s a great epic feel to the world of Dungeon Siege 3 that we can't wait to explore.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>And finally Gamespot found out that George Ziets <a href="http://comic-con.gamespot.com/story/6270864/fallout-devs-on-thinking-inside-the-box" target="_blank">immersed himself</a> into the world of Dungeon Siege, suffering for the greater good I presume.</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>As with Gonzalez, Ziets first immersed himself in the established world of the franchise, playing all of the previous Dungeon Siege games. He then acquired Dungeon Siege's lore bible from Gas Powered Games, reading and internalizing the backstory of the franchise.</p>
    <p>From there, Ziets said he settled upon four conditions to establish what the team should focus on in crafting the new game. These included what he and his team were most excited by, what is most central to the franchise, what can provide interesting visuals and gameplay, and what will make the fans happy.</p>
    <p>As a result of this process, the team pulled a number of elements from the original Dungeon Siege. Namely, the game would be returning to the Kingdom of Ebb, and it would focus on the 10th Legion, which was a central protective force. From there, it became a matter of expanding the world by doing their own bit of world-building. To get this process started, Ziets sat down to write the Ebb sourcebook, which is a compilation of short stories, legends, calendars, and even a language.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98932-dungeon-siege-iii-previews.html">GB</a></p>

^ Top  
  2. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    This shit is going to be awesum.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    With George Ziets working on the story, there is certainly a reason to wonder if he can pull off another MotB.

^ Top  
  4. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Meh, it'll be another action rpg. Though better than most. But OTOH it will be buggy and unoptimized. (obsidian)

^ Top  
  5. Whipporowill Erudite

Whipporowill
    One thing DS had down pat was the environment bit - and it seems like they're aiming to keep doing that. The seemless exploration bit and SEKRIT dungeons was pretty cool to stumble upon...

So yeah, whatever haters, I'll play it.

^ Top  
  6. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    It's going to be a screensaver with LARP'ing this time.

^ Top  
  7. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. Lockkaliber Magister Patron

Lockkaliber
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The graphics seem to get a lot of praise. I really hope we get to see more games in the Onyx engine soon.

^ Top  
  9. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "With George Ziets working on the story, there is certainly a reason to wonder if he can pull off another MotB."

Doubtful he will even try to. DS3 is a whole different type of game with different goals.

That said, DS3 is the only Obsidian game I'm looking forward to despite the other DS games being shit. It definitely can't be worse than Alphafail.

:retarded:

^ Top  
  10. Some Moron On Welfare Educated

Some Moron On Welfare
    Action RPGs are all about gameplay (obviously). Something that OBSHITTIAN never got right.

This will suck.

^ Top  
  11. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Bioware with Dragon Age nailed it though :roll:

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Whipporowill Erudite

Whipporowill
    Way to go Cpt Obvious. :salute:

^ Top  
  13. KalosKagathos Prestigious Gentleman Learned

KalosKagathos
    :/

That said (emoted?), I'm still looking forward to DS 3. Ziets is cool, and I'd like to see Onyx in action.

^ Top  
  14. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Minimap was utterly pointless in DS anyway since the game was one looooooooooooooooooong corridor.

^ Top  
  15. Whipporowill Erudite

Whipporowill
    You never played the MP map I hear. That one wasn't - a lot of optional paths and it was pretty much a circle. Great map design. Few action games are non-linear after all.

^ Top  
  16. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    DS 1 was one of those games that I played all the way through, had enough fun going along, but wondered why the fuck I played through it all at the end.

It had enough prettyness to get me through, but yeah it was rather retarded. Not my idea of the perfect action RPG, but still fun enough to be a major time sink.

DS2 I didn't like at all.

Anyways, I'll no doubt check it out.

^ Top  
  17. StrangeCase Educated

StrangeCase
    Yeah I'm not sure how "deep" that is, but whatever, gaming journalist dude. Consider me reassured. :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  18. Lothers Scholar

Lothers
    I'll totally torrent it, could be good for what it seems it might be.

^ Top  
  19. ZbojLamignat Educated

ZbojLamignat
    Minimap was actually crucial - it helped finding secret areas with tons of good loot.

^ Top  
  20. janjetina Arcane Patron

janjetina
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Not another twitch kiddie friendly game here on RPG Action adventure codex.

^ Top  
  21. flushfire Augur

flushfire
    you like boring clickfest with 0 attack variety and close to non-existent character development better than skill trees?

^ Top  
  22. Blackadder Prestigious Gentleman Magister

Blackadder

^ Top  
  23. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Hopefully the camera won't fucking suck. Not going to hold my breath on that one though.

^ Top  
  24. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    Why they keep taking things off and then try to pass it as a "improvement"?

^ Top  
  25. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Because 9 out of 10 people accept said improvements if someone calls them that way.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)