Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Fortress coming to Steam with a graphical overhaul

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, Mar 13, 2019.

1. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Nice try US fag, but you are dropping faster than Europeans. Get your prostate cancer chart out of here.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Holy shit! AWESOME!

*By the way edgelords, the ASCII mode will still be available for you

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Big Wrangle Guest

Big Wrangle
    In the words of the average NPC
    [​IMG]

• incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. normie Erudite Patron Zionist Agent

normie
    what, not Liberal Crime Squad?

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Joined on the 4th of July
    I guess ASCII graphics can be somewhat limiting in some cases. Are there any good games that use Unicode-graphics?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Bay12 is doing AMA on reddit.

Shitload of changes are coming.
    He plants to probably hire people to help him if sales will allow for that.
    UI will be focus as well as performance though he said that performance will be hard to "fix".
    Considers adding multi-threading but as above hard as fuck in his words.

Wow i didn't expect to hear that from Toady ever.

• Brofist x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zdzisiu Arcane

Zdzisiu
    Yeah, those are some good and needed changes.

I can use the UI just fine, but that comes with hundred of hours of experience. I could certainly be made more intuitive and consistent.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    [​IMG]

• Old Old x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    UI would be the best choice because he could sell at least 10 times more copies after there is one than before. Bah, with UI I think he could catch up to Rimworld figures easily at a million or more copies. The market is there, it just needs an UI that is not frustrating.

The question is how much money needs to be spent to develop the UI.

I think he is guaranteed to sell at least 20k copies within the first month, it can potentially break 100k if he's lucky. Steam takes 30%, so if he sells his 20k guaranteed copies at 10$ price, he earns 140k which buys him and his brother slightly over one year of survival. No UI, impossible unless they find one skilled pajeet that works for pennies and does everything Tesla style "for the art" on permanent voluntary crunch time.

If he's going for 40$ which I think is the price point above which only the truly dedicated would support him, he would make 560k. I guess with that money he could go all Iron Tower on this and hire a decently sized team of Slavic UI autists for 2 years and still have enough cash to both survive and keep in reserve if the Slavs hit a snag trying to figure out something toady coded 10 years ago or if other shit happens.

Or he could get an investor(s) with half a million to spare, if I had that much money available for a high risk (read: if I lose it all it doesn't matter much) investment I would actually give it to him. It would be unorthodox but Rimworld is a good indicator how DF Premium with UI could sell, and it only needs a UI the rest is already there and it is a known autistic quality. Safer than most shit venture capital funds invest in if you ask me.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    UI is what desperately needs help if he wants this game to go big. Should have done it years ago before lots of Dwarf Fortress-esque games started coming out and he'd be a wealthy man. Luckily for him most of them have kind of sucked (outside of Rimworld) so there's still time to crack into the mainstream.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Yeah, it is only Rimworld and Oxygen Not Included that are relevant besides DF, both focusing on slightly different aspects of DF and nothing really emulating it 100% so it remains unique.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    And that's why they are much more successful. Because they are not trying to emulate and track amount of blood in left index finger and how loss of nails can affect combat effectiveness.

• decline x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • No x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Incantatar Arbiter

Incantatar
    He said on the AMA, that Linux and Mac compatibility isn't guaranteed. They are not using Simon Swerwer's soundtrack and the walls ramps in the tileset look like optical illusions.
    I'm not sold anything truly positive will come out of it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    You can't really maintain pure ascii and truly functional tileset support.

But code bloat is probably the biggest issue the game has those days. Don't really see that being fixed any time soon.

^ Top  
  15. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    Nope. ADOM had a patch hiatus for, what, 7 or 10 years? And now last patch have been released 18 dec 2018. Anything that could break toady's cancerous two patches(with fixes like, stopped dwarves thinking about carps, adjusted tree growth coloration and other useless shhit) per year is a good thing.

^ Top  
  16. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    yeah its not very much money, not sure what the fuck people are talking about

^ Top  
  17. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    thats not even unusual

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Incantatar Arbiter

Incantatar
    It cuts both ways. More user friendliness will be a boon, but fulfilling every random twitter tranny's wish sounds like a nightmare.

Show Spoiler

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    ^ Top  
  19. Trans-Financial-Man Savant

Trans-Financial-Man

Trans people are real. Real men, he means. Let's represent real people. With real genitals. Not whatever fake ones get carved into them.

[​IMG]

I would've said that in the dudes replies but then I'd probably get arrested for hate crimes.

• decline decline x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    If dwarf fortress represents realism then where are my dragon socks ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    Why not 3D?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. darkpatriot Arcane

darkpatriot
    Well, I was going to buy this if for no other reason than to give them some money, but probably not anymore after reading that twitter thread. I have never donated to them and have gotten a lot of enjoyment over the years from their game, although I haven't played it in like 3 to 4 years. I also have long thought they should spend some time working on improving the actual gameplay experience (although I still prefer the ASCII art to tilesets).

I say this not because they want to add tranny dwarves, but because they think blocking people who politely disagree that it would be a useful addition is the correct thing to do.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • decline decline x 3
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Agreed. You have to be a very weak-minded person to let a few comments and questions (none of which were toxic, btw.) cause you to block people.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)