Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News E3 2013 Trailers: Witcher 3, Dark Souls 2, Dragon Age 3, South Park

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BioWare; CD Projekt; Dark Souls 2; Dragon Age III: Inquisition; Electronic Arts; From Software; Obsidian Entertainment; South Park: The Stick of Truth; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt; Ubisoft

Today is the first day of the Annual Doritos & Mountain Dew Convention, more commonly known as E3. With the next console generation on the horizon, this year's E3 is a particularly big one. Here are the (vaguely) Codex-relevant trailers that were shown today.

Anti-DRM crusaders CD Projekt RED chose to showcase the debut trailer for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt at Microsoft's XBox One conference. It's got a wide open world, Skyrim helmets, visceral combat, Celtic music and lots and lots of horsie riding.

For even more hype, check out this five minute video, which features various CD Projekt designers roaming around a New Zealand-esque countryside and talking about the game. Also, a live action wolf.

Also shown at Microsoft's conference was a new trailer for Dark Souls II. Yes, Dark Souls is now mainstream - horrible trailer music included.

As expected, there was a trailer for Dragon Age: Inquisition at EA's conference. That's right, it's just Dragon Age now, without the III. Unfortunately, it's just a teaser trailer, with lots of over-the-top war scenes, some sort of airborne Darkspawn invasion suspiciously reminiscent of Warcraft 3, creepy off-model versions of Varric and Morrigan (apparently a Bioware tradition) but nothing that looks like actual gameplay.

Finally, at Ubisoft's conference, there was this non-trailer for South Park: The Stick of Truth.

At least we know it's coming "this holiday season"! Whatever that means.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
out of these, south park will be the best game. isn't that funny.

I like how E3 is so irrelevant that I only learned it was going on by opening this thread. It feels good.

Witcher - God damn that is beautiful. So how about the game? Oh right we Skyrim now, just show that shit.

Dark Souls - I gleaned two things from this. 1. You can break down doors. 2. Namco hired from the CoD pool of advertisers.

Generic trailer with narration that would work for any Bioware game - Yeah, I was reminded of WC3 too.

South Park - Provides a tentative release date and wastes the least time and money on it. Winner by forfeit.

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
State of the art character model here :

gsm_169_dragon_age_inquisition_ps4xb1_pctrailer_061113_640.jpg

She looks extremely unpleasant. Probably comes with penis envy.

I'm sure I saw that woman before (outside dragon age). Some kind of movie character or celebrity maybe. I can't put my finger on it thought.

Madison from Heavy Rain? :lol:

Anyway, I hope W3 will be a cool and enjoyable slasher. We'll see.

Nothing will surprise me after Garrett getting 40 XP from headshotting a guard.

Name

Cipher
CD Projekt is now calling their unreleased visceral cinematic sandbox game A Crowning Achievement of RPG Genre?
The hubris...

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's pretty. Except for Geralt's clothes.

But there is nothing so far to suggest the gameplay will be good. Action game on par with Witcher 2 is the best hope right now. Though that had complaints about difficulty, so that is a worry.

SearchEngine

Learned
I'm not gonna lie, I'm a sucker for open worlds. While it may look Skyrimish, as long as The Witcher 3 makes valuable content in it, I have no problem with it. Plus I am surprised that they admitted one of the flaws of the second game.

Lancehead

Liturgist
CD Projekt is now calling their unreleased visceral cinematic sandbox game A Crowning Achievement of RPG Genre?
The hubris...

Typical potato PR-speak.
One may call it CDPR-speak.

In any case, I'm looking forward to it, though I hope they "err" on the side of open world as opposed to story-driven in their self-proclaimed crowning achievement.

Absalom

The games are meh. Much more interested in the indie market. What will be amusing at E3 is how they're going to portray the next console generation as anything other than complete and utter shit

The hubris...

Typical potato PR-speak.
One may call it CDPR-speak.

In any case, I'm looking forward to it, though I hope they "err" on the side of open world as opposed to story-driven in their self-proclaimed crowning achievement.

Is that a from CDPR themselves or is it a quote from a reviewer or something? I'd assume the latter, if only because I can't imagine the hubris required to claim it yourself on something you haven't even released yet.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The funniest joke in the South Park video was about video game release dates. I don't think that bodes well for it.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Is that a from CDPR themselves or is it a quote from a reviewer or something? I'd assume the latter, if only because I can't imagine the hubris required to claim it yourself on something you haven't even released yet.

It doesn't show it as any previewer's quote, and I doubt even the most doritoed journalist would claim such this early in preview phases. On the other hand, CDPR have been saying how it's "open-world + story-driven for the first time ever!!!". So I'm inclined to believe it's CDPR.

It doesn't show it as any previewer's quote, and I doubt even the most doritoed journalist would claim such this early in preview phases. On the other hand, CDPR have been saying how it's "open-world + story-driven for the first time ever!!!". So I'm inclined to believe it's CDPR.

I was assuming it was something said about previous witcher games and/or the series as a whole.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Please be good Witcher.

Please.

I don't want my last memory of you be a memory of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom