Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News E3 2013 Trailers: Witcher 3, Dark Souls 2, Dragon Age 3, South Park

Name

Cipher
Please be good Witcher.

Please.

I don't want my last memory of you be a memory of shit.

"I am Geralt. Did you miss me?"

Borelli

Arcane
The first DS2 trailer was much much better (the cgi only one), it had better music,pacing, it was slow and mysterious. This trailer seriously looks like some random youtube video.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The Witcher 3 looks pretty awesome to be honest. Loved those living cities. If they manage to bring back a little of the 'monster hunter for hire' aspect of the first game in that open world I'll be thrilled.

Otherwise only midly interested in South Park. Mainly nostalgia. Dragon Age 3 looked like, well, a cinematic trailer and Dark Souls 2 seems to have gone completely back to basic mainstream brawler with a few stats after the original dev left.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looking fwd to W3. It looks like a significant incline from the previous console beat 'em up and fuck the haters.

Kindda intrigued about South Park...but not really.

Don't give a shit about DAO or the nippon Diablo.

Data4

Arcane
State of the art character model here :

gsm_169_dragon_age_inquisition_ps4xb1_pctrailer_061113_640.jpg

She looks extremely unpleasant. Probably comes with a penis.

FTFY

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

gsm_169_dragon_age_inquisition_ps4xb1_pctrailer_061113_640.jpg

She looks extremely unpleasant. Probably comes with penis envy.

I'm sure I saw that woman before (outside dragon age). Some kind of movie character or celebrity maybe. I can't put my finger on it thought.

To be honest? It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, probably thanks to Frostbite. And yes, she does look familiar. I think she might be a redesigned existing character or something. At least Varric is largely the same.

LpQBC1W.png

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
W3 looks really good, might be worth it to get it on a sale just for the hiking aspect. And who knows, maybe they'll actually manage to make good combat this time? And the fact that it's supposed to be open world might mean less cinematic handholding that was so annoying in W2.

DS2 trailer is bad as a trailer, hard to say how the game is based on it. What's kind of funny is that you can still see noticable fps drops whenever there's a lot of particles on the screen. Never change, From Software.

DA3 looks laughably bad. Even with a good engine, Bioware cannot into art direction.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
W3 looks really good, might be worth it to get it on a sale just for the hiking aspect. And who knows, maybe they'll actually manage to make good combat this time? And the fact that it's supposed to be open world might mean less cinematic handholding that was so annoying in W2.

Re: TW3's quality compared to TW2's

I've noticed that people on the Codex never draw a connection between TW2's problems and the financial state of CD Projekt before the game's release. Actually, I'm not sure how many people are even aware that CD Projekt was nearly bankrupt during that period.

To be fair, the game appeared very polished, so its flaws seemed like they were intentional.

Nowadays, CD Projekt is swimming in cash, so we'll see what they can come up with when they have no restrictions.

odrzut

Arcane
TW3 will cost at least 110 000 000 PLN (34 000 000 USD), out of that 40 000 000 PLN is for production and is paid by CDPR, and marketing budget (25 000 000 USD) will be paid by distributors and publishers in advance and deduced from the copies they sell.

Source (in Polish):
http://www.pb.pl/3169838,32789,wiedzmin-3-bedzie-kosztowal-ponad-100-mln-zl

Also GOG.com is doing all right (most profitable of CDP divisions), so I guess they have money. No excuses this time.

Borelli

Arcane
I REALLY hate it when they change how the characters look between games. And this is not just "10 years have passed people got older". I can understand changing character looks when the game before hand is a 20 years old game from a 8-bit are but DA2>3 just feels like putting new actors in a soap opera and hoping nobody notices.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

I've noticed that people on the Codex never draw a connection between TW2's problems and the financial state of CD Projekt before the game's release. Actually, I'm not sure how many people are even aware that CD Projekt was nearly bankrupt during that period.

To be fair, the game appeared very polished, so its flaws seemed like they were intentional.

Nowadays, CD Projekt is swimming in cash, so we'll see what they can come up with when they have no restrictions.

Eh, do you have any source on that? Was the parent company in trouble, or was it just CDP Red? I'd be surprised if their publishing/distribution business would collapse so easily.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, do you have any source on that? Was the parent company in trouble, or was it just CDP Red? I'd be surprised if their publishing/distribution business would collapse so easily.

The failure of the Witcher 1 console port nearly killed them.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/for...quot-Pirates-are-underserved-customers-quot-)

Besides, what I learned in the industry during the last 20 years, si that you really have to choose what the company should focus on. True, from geographical point of view we're interested in markets all over the world. But let us do what we know. Don't try to spread ourselves too thin.

In our company, the situation always was very many ideas, too little manpower. This has changed. I mean we still have very many ideas, but we focus in a narrow area - where we really can be the best in the world.

We learned this painful lesson in 2007-08, when we were open on very many fronts. We had a joint stock company in Hungary, in Czech Republic, a game porting company, shares in a polish game developer Metropolis Software, we co-produced the first "Witcher" for consoles in France. All this I mentioned, except the first joint stock company, ended with a spectacular fall on the face. And despite a gigantic effort. I never worked harder in my life - 15-20 hours per day, and the effect was we nearly went bankrupt.

Now we work on business development all the time, we are looking for new directions, but nothing forced. We don't have to grow at lightning speed, to immediately become the biggest in the world. We have to make very good games. And have satisfied gamers on the whole world, who want to buy them.

How much money did you lose in these failed projects ?

- Over 20 million. Of course, gradually. At first we were saying: "No, we don't cut that. Let us re-structure that." And we re-structured the 2nd, 5th time. At some point one asks a question: does what we're doing make sense ? If there's a new plan, nice people, everyone is trying hard and nothing comes out, then maybe this business (strategy) is simply nonsense ?

And you have to pull out relatively soon, close the matter. Sell it ! Whatever.

When we're about to release a new game - and it can last a year, a year and a half - everyone goes aboard. And there's always too little manpower. And if in this time key people are doing 3 other things, they spend proportionally less time for this one most important thing, which powers us. And this is precisely what we have to choose and focus on.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Anti-DRM crusaders CD Projekt RED chose to showcase the debut trailer for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt at Microsoft's XBox One conference
:lol: I see what you did there.

The Witcher 3 looked very nice. If they can just improve that god awful combat from W2, it stands a chance of being a pretty good game.

Dark Souls II, I feel less enthusiastic about every time I see it. I am more interested in Hidetaka Miyazaki's new project, whatever it is.

Dragon Age, lol. Sticking with that annoying cartoony art style, I see. And still no gameplay to show :) I'm sure it'll be awesome.

I want to look forward to South Park, but I'm starting to think it's going to be 30 hours of fart jokes.

Games don't magically become better due to throwing more money at them though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Games don't magically become better due to throwing more money at them though.

You need money to pay your developers' salaries. If you don't have enough, the game needs to be rushed.

Like I said, the game seems polished, but there's really no telling what effects CD Projekt's financial state had on the final product.

Stabwound

Arcane
No matter what, Witcher 3 is being released on consoles and PC simultaneously, so it's going to have its arms tied behind its back from the get go. I expect an even more consolized game than W2, which was pretty bad in that regard itself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
No matter what, Witcher 3 is being released on consoles and PC simultaneously, so it's going to have its arms tied behind its back from the get go. I expect an even more consolized game than W2, which was pretty bad in that regard itself.

Meh, W2 was already fully consolized from the get go.

I'd say this one will be less consolized if only because the next-gen consoles will have more RAM to work with.

Last edited:

This is bullshit.
While I'm not exactly a fan of consoles myself and i'm first in line pointing that The Witcher 2 had its fair share of flaws and limitations, virtually none of those was directly tied to multiplatform-friendly nature of the game.
It was a game way too fond of its "cinematic narrative" and too self contained and strict for its own good, but it wasn't "consolization" that almost ruined it.

And virtually every single feature they announced so far for this sequel sounds like a big improvement (i.e. open world, NPCs that react if you steal, no level scaling, freedom to jump/climb/swim/fall and other expanded environmental interactions, etc), at least on paper, so I'm not sure what you are whining about with all this doom and gloom.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
This is bullshit.
While I'm not exactly a fan of consoles myself and i'm first in line pointing that The Witcher 2 had its fair share of flaws and limitations, virtually none of those was directly tied to multiplatform-friendly nature of the game.
The interface was awful because it was designed for consoles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom