Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News EA bans player from playing Dragon Age II

Luzur

Good Sir
waywardOne said:
EA's bro support #
866-543-5435

(outside the US)
650-628-4306

think of the children. call once. call often. thank them for the free bro support hotline (US only).

im going to call them and fart into the phone.

baronjohn said:
Are we really hipsters? Embarassed

i rather call it "Distinguished Gentlemen of Roleplaying."

It's really amazing how people will voluntarily give up rights

(imageshack is being a cunt, but copypasting it into the url bar works)

biofanboy.jpg

Fortunately, Commander Shepard is on our side!

shepardbro.jpg

That Dragonloordz lady goes on and on that this protest must stop NAO because "it won't cause a dent in the sales" and "we don't know if it's true!". I seriously wonder about how fucked up must have been the education of these guys. Normal people would want as much noise as possible, to see if its true. These fags want the matter silenced immediately. You'd think they have Bioware stocks or som-

oh

Dragonloordz said:
Anti-corporation views are fine on sites with forums that are about it, this unless you haven't realised yet is a Dragon Age 2 forum about a specific game. Like I said this is now irrelevant to this specific forum itself and I would have locked this thread by now tbh since the orginal guy has access to his DA2 copy. By forums basic rules this is now off topic of DA2 while before it was on topic because the orginal guy said he couldn't play DA2.

So THAT'S what she's going for. :lol:

Its like I'm really a moderator

halasterbc

Novice
lol. bioware's response : "his acccusation is true, and that's what happens when you mess with the boss"

Zeus

Cipher
Ars Technica updated their post:

Update: We just received word from EA's Andrew Wong that the situation was actually an error. "Unfortunately, there was an error in the system that accidentally suspended a user's entire account," he told Ars. "Immediately upon learning of the glitch, EA took steps to restore the user's macro account and apologized for the inconvenience."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... age-ii.ars

Metro said:
Steam forum accounts are separate from the actual game accounts.

Well, yes and no. I did a bit of poking around the last time Steam's DRM came up:

The only way Steam would ban your entire account is if you attempted to register a CD key that had been released on the internet. Or if you called your credit card company and issued a chargeback. Or if you accepted a Steam gift from someone you didn't know, and Valve decided it was "fraudulent." Or if you logged into a Steam account you didn't create. Or if you shared your account with a friend. Or if you violated the 5,000+ word Steam Subscriber Agreement. Or if you violated Online Code of Conduct, which includes uploading images you don't own the copyright to; using material or information via Steam that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other proprietary right of any party; and defaming, abusing, harassing, stalking, threatening or otherwise violating the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.

That's the only way Valve would ban your whole account.

By the way, the Online Code doesn't specify it has to happen via Steam games or forums--just that as a Steam subscriber, you agree not to do any of it. So according to Valve, if someone harasses, defames or threatens you here on RPGCodex, you can get their Steam account banned.

So yeah, I don't use Steam's forums because Valve moderators are watching, and I wouldn't want them to see me post a copy-written picture of Master of Magic and take drastic measures against my Steam account.

Zeus said:
Metro said:
Steam forum accounts are separate from the actual game accounts.

Well, yes and no. I did a bit of poking around the last time Steam's DRM came up:

The only way Steam would ban your entire account is if you attempted to register a CD key that had been released on the internet. Or if you called your credit card company and issued a chargeback. Or if you accepted a Steam gift from someone you didn't know, and Valve decided it was "fraudulent." Or if you logged into a Steam account you didn't create. Or if you shared your account with a friend. Or if you violated the 5,000+ word Steam Subscriber Agreement. Or if you violated Online Code of Conduct, which includes uploading images you don't own the copyright to; using material or information via Steam that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other proprietary right of any party; and defaming, abusing, harassing, stalking, threatening or otherwise violating the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.

That's the only way Valve would ban your whole account.

By the way, the Online Code doesn't specify it has to happen via Steam games or forums--just that as a Steam subscriber, you agree not to do any of it. So according to Valve, if someone harasses, defames or threatens you here on RPGCodex, you can get their Steam account banned.

So yeah, I don't use Steam's forums because Valve moderators are watching, and I wouldn't want them to see me post a copy-written picture of Master of Magic and take drastic measures against my Steam account.

I'm pretty sure that applies to stuff you are uploading through your steam account. IIRC, you can save some personal game-related stuff in the steam cloud. I doubt Valve even knows who on the forums is linked with what account other than hacking someone look at IP and name coincidence. If they were to ban based on those they would be on even shakier ground than Bioware is.

Of course, EVERY EULA will specify ridiculous bullshit that would never stand up in court. I'm pretty sure every game in the past decade has had a 'we can terminate your "license" for any or no reason whenever we feel like it and not compensate you in any way' claim.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Overweight Manatee said:
I'm pretty sure every game in the past decade has had a 'we can terminate your "license" for any or no reason whenever we feel like it and not compensate you in any way' claim.
No.
Or to put it less Volly-like: I don't buy single-player games with online registration. And I've bought quite a few games in the last decade. They have no way of terminating anything. They might mention filing charges against you if you reverse-engineer without their consent or load up on a torrent, but what you buy is yours.

Glitch, I'd like to see more of those "glitches". Perhaps a "glitch" that transferes EA's money to my bank account? I'm sure they wouldn't mind. Only a glitch after all.

Zeus, one of the arguments always brought forth against Big Brother (in all its forms, corporate and government spying, etc) is that even if it's "benevolent" (like security cameras watching "everything") people change their behavior when they are aware they are being watched. It's interesting seeing you cower in fear of Valve.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I just wish our report post button had such awesome powers.

Oh well, a man can dream.

A man can dream.

Zeus

Cipher
Shannow said:
you cower in fear of Valve.

If "Not giving them an excuse to shut down my account" is cowering in fear, then yes.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Data4 said:
baronjohn said:
Are we really hipsters? :oops:

Well, it looks like "hipster" is slowly going through that metamorphic phase where someone uses a word incorrectly because he doesn't know what the fuck it means, then other people who suffer the same affliction pick it up. Eventually, it gets a whole new meaning because dumbfuckery of the masses overrides intelligence.

Kind of like what happened to the phrase "role playing game" amirite?

turul

Augur
Cynic said:
Just spotted this

Zepplin_Rules wrote

If anybody did a raid of 140 people it was RPGcodex. They are the hipsters of rpg gaming. I salute you all, you pretty princesses.

Also. KINGCOMRADE!!!!

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... /3#6489964

Hmmm..interesting post by the thread starter:
They worked hard to deliver us this great RPG sequel just to have metacritic and their forums flooded with 4chan trolls who pirated the game and are now claiming it's garbage. This same crap happened when Mass Effect 2 was released too I remember.
Bioware is my favorite game development company by far and I hope this negative backlash doesn't hurt morale over at Bioware.

I know it's not a forum policy but I really think Chris, and Stanley need to start banning people who talk trash about Bioware and their games. I come to these forums as a fan to discuss my love of Bioware games with other fans. Giving these haters free reign creates a hostile atmosphere for those who wish to talk about these great games in peace.

People who get banned from the forums ceratinly should not lose access to their game as what has reportedly been happening but 99 percent of these critics probably pirated the game anyways so it doesn't really matter in that case.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... /6486635/1
:patriot:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Completely and totally irrational. If you dislike DA2 you're a troll, you pirated the game, and you certainly can't express that on the Bioware forums.

Bigot_

Novice
turul said:
Hmmm..interesting post by the thread starter:
They worked hard to deliver us this great RPG sequel just to have metacritic and their forums flooded with 4chan trolls who pirated the game and are now claiming it's garbage. This same crap happened when Mass Effect 2 was released too I remember.
Bioware is my favorite game development company by far and I hope this negative backlash doesn't hurt morale over at Bioware.

I know it's not a forum policy but I really think Chris, and Stanley need to start banning people who talk trash about Bioware and their games. I come to these forums as a fan to discuss my love of Bioware games with other fans. Giving these haters free reign creates a hostile atmosphere for those who wish to talk about these great games in peace.

People who get banned from the forums ceratinly should not lose access to their game as what has reportedly been happening but 99 percent of these critics probably pirated the game anyways so it doesn't really matter in that case.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... /6486635/1
:patriot:

The replies to that thread are surprisingly incline though
Disregarding twistedcomplex that is

waywardOne

Arcane
EA/Bioware could've done me a favor 4+ years ago just by banning me from playing their games.

Aermas

Novice
I just got banned from Bioware's forum because I was asking if Stanley Woo had changed is avatar because to a thing a tried to start called Re-Volus-ion. Bioware is getting way out of hand.

HardCode

Erudite
Aermas said:
I just got banned from Bioware's forum because I was asking if Stanley Woo had changed is avatar because to a thing a tried to start called Re-Volus-ion. Bioware is getting way out of hand.

Maybe you were banned because no one knows what the fuck you are talking about.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
HardCode said:
Aermas said:

Indeed. And welcome Aermas, enjoy your stay here.

Aermas

Novice
HardCode said:
Aermas said:

I was mad at all the crap Bioware was pulling & I didn't want to get banned for speaking out against Bioware. A volus is some alien in Mass Effect & one of the moderators in the Bioware forums uses it as an avatar, i was trying to convince others to change their avatars into a volus to silently tell Bioware they were retarded. When his avatar suddenly changed to something else I asked about it & I got banned.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Overweight Manatee said:
I'm pretty sure that applies to stuff you are uploading through your steam account. IIRC, you can save some personal game-related stuff in the steam cloud. I doubt Valve even knows who on the forums is linked with what account other than hacking someone look at IP and name coincidence. If they were to ban based on those they would be on even shakier ground than Bioware is.

Of course, EVERY EULA will specify ridiculous bullshit that would never stand up in court. I'm pretty sure every game in the past decade has had a 'we can terminate your "license" for any or no reason whenever we feel like it and not compensate you in any way' claim.

Yeah I was going to say that probably refers to just the Steam client/community where you upload avatars, can put some junk in your profile and PM people through their chat system. And, as noted, they'd have to track the IP of your forum account which, while possible, is a bit of a stretch -- as is the ability to ban you for any actions on unrelated forums. Would it hold up in court? Maybe. Would it be a PR nightmare? Absolutely. Also, keep in mind Valve has a vested interested in not banning you as an active user is more likely than not a repeat customer. I don't doubt there are risks involved in using Steam, it's just that I pay so little for the games I don't really worry about them.

Blackadder said:
i was trying to convince others to change their avatars into a volus to silently tell Bioware they were retarded.

Don't worry, deep down inside I am sure many at Bioware already know this.

I'd describe them as more evil than retarded, but in the end, I suppose it makes little difference.

SacredPath

Novice
Actually love this as it exposes both EA's business philosophy as well as people who can't reign in their tongues over the internet... yes I'm looking at you.

Phelot

Arcane
Aermas said:
Stanley Woo had changed is avatar because to a thing a tried to start called Re-Volus-ion.

This sentence is the greatest thing to ever happen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom